Strange Phone Line Issue

Had a strange occurrence today with a customers phone line that is still un-resolved. Thought I would share and see if anyone has any hints as to what's going on.

Customer has one phone line. Standard set up with RJ31X. Phone line has DSL DSL Filters installed. System Communicates Signals to CS, all good Normal phones in house with Answering Machine and CID Box Previous connection for UpDownload OK.

Problem comes up when I try to connect to panel remotely. Panel will hang and then disconnect. Went to site today and used my laptop to connect to the panel thru my "private phone company in a box" which would be the same as connecting over the phone line. Connection is good and data transferred as it should.

Connected my Butt Set to the phone line and dialed with my cell phone to trigger the panel to answer, Answering Machine Bypass function enabled. While listening to the amplified speaker I heard what sounded like a modem answering with a carrier tone after the first ring.

To bring this narrative ahead a bit, I ended up at the demarc and with the house, panel and all disconnected so that I was connected direct from the CO and the following was observed.

On the speaker of the butt set just before the 1st ring a small buzz click was heard and then after the first ring a carrier tone is heard for about 1 second and then a pause and then the next ring. Nothing else is heard except for normal rings after that.

It is as if another modem or panel is on the line and connecting on the first ring but not answering the call.

Has anyone experienced anything like this and/or what the blazes is it or could it be????????? I ran out of time to investigate it further on site with voltages, current, etc. but it seems very strange. Any thoughts from the masses would be welcome.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1
Loading thread data ...

Do you have a RJ31x ESSEX DSL filter I have found DSL screws with up load down load.tones and by having the rj block filter it stops it. Also did they add sattelite dish some times the cable and or dish box has a phone connection that will screw with phone line as well was this recently added. Worse comes to worse take all phones off gray brown telco wires and try download to see if problem is with in house wiring or comming in from pole . I have seen DSL cause all kinds of strange problems even when you think you have everything filtered and some one adds an exstension etc and does not do it right. DSC modems are very suseptable to dsl

Reply to
nick markowitz

I suspect MI5 phone line surveillance.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Nick, thanks for the response. But, please re-read my post especially this paragraph.

I am still puzzled???

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

Who is phone carrier in that area we have seral different here and each have there own little idosyncracies specifically who is DSL provider.

Reply to
nick markowitz

It was a joke Nick. :-)

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Able-1 We've had problems with the DSL from Bellsouth for years.. even worse if the household has an online computer or other dsl devise full time.. we've had to to switch to a outdoor extra deep notch type dsl filter. place the filter at the demark box outside then split the comm signal for the house through that filter, 1 line for the rj-31 and house phones second line for the dsl devices.. thats the only way we've been able to get a stable remote access to our panels. ((using FBII and related comm chip set devices,))

hope it helps

that early click your hearing is the modem for the dsl devices attempting an ID of the voltage drop to the line..

RTS

transferred

Reply to
Rocky T Squirrel

Reply to
Roland

VERIZON

Reply to
ABLE_1

I have never heard the CID before on any other line as I did on this one. It really sounds like a modem carrier for about 1 second. I turned off the CID on the line and tried again just to check and got the same result. Although now that I think about it when I turned it off that was for outgoing calls.

I had a conversation with an associate earlier and he said that it maybe possible that Verizon has another line crossed onto this line pair. He said that he had seen it happen on another carrier a few years ago. Need to investigate this possibility further.

Thanks for the inputs so far. Every little bit helps.

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

What's the voltage on the line?

I've had problem with voltage drop on rural service.

I even have a Vista 15 that even though the voltage is good it does the same thing you describe (fortunately he's a local) but I can't remote program and never did find out what the prob was...probably noise but I don't have tools to measure that.

| >>>> To bring this narrative ahead a bit, I ended up at the demarc and with | >>>> the house, panel and all disconnected so that I was connected direct | >>>> from the CO and the following was observed. | >>>>

| >>>> On the speaker of the butt set just before the 1st ring a small buzz | >>>> click was heard and then after the first ring a carrier tone is heard | >>>> for about 1 second and then a pause and then the next ring. Nothing | >>>> else is heard except for normal rings after that. | >>

| >> I am still puzzled??? | >>

| >> TIA | >>

| >> Les | >>

| >>

| >>

| >>> Do you have a RJ31x ESSEX DSL filter | >>> I have found DSL screws with up load down load.tones | >>> and by having the rj block filter it stops it. | >>> Also did they add sattelite dish some times the cable and or dish box | >>> has a phone connection that will screw with phone line as well was this | >>> recently added. | >>> Worse comes to worse take all phones off gray brown telco wires and try | >>> download to see if problem is with in house wiring or comming in from | >>> pole . | >>> I have seen DSL cause all kinds of strange problems even when you think | >>> you have everything filtered and some one adds an exstension etc and | >>> does not do it right. | >>> DSC modems are very suseptable to dsl | >>>

| >>>> Customer has one phone line. | >>>> Standard set up with RJ31X. | >>>> Phone line has DSL | >>>> DSL Filters installed. | >>>> System Communicates Signals to CS, all good | >>>> Normal phones in house with Answering Machine and CID Box | >>>> Previous connection for UpDownload OK. | >>>>

| >>>> Problem comes up when I try to connect to panel remotely. Panel will | >>>> hang and then disconnect. Went to site today and used my laptop to | >>>> connect to the panel thru my "private phone company in a box" which | >>>> would be the same as connecting over the phone line. Connection is | >>>> good and data transferred as it should. | >>>>

| >>>> Connected my Butt Set to the phone line and dialed with my cell phone | >>>> to trigger the panel to answer, Answering Machine Bypass function | >>>> enabled. While listening to the amplified speaker I heard what sounded | >>>> like a modem answering with a carrier tone after the first ring. | >>>>

| >>>> To bring this narrative ahead a bit, I ended up at the demarc and with | >>>> the house, panel and all disconnected so that I was connected direct | >>>> from the CO and the following was observed. | >>>>

| >>>> On the speaker of the butt set just before the 1st ring a small buzz | >>>> click was heard and then after the first ring a carrier tone is heard | >>>> for about 1 second and then a pause and then the next ring. Nothing | >>>> else is heard except for normal rings after that. | >>>>

| >>>> It is as if another modem or panel is on the line and connecting on the | >>>> first ring but not answering the call. | >>>>

| >>>> Has anyone experienced anything like this and/or what the blazes is it | >>>> or could it be????????? I ran out of time to investigate it further | >>>> on site with voltages, current, etc. but it seems very strange. Any | >>>> thoughts from the masses would be welcome. | >>>>

| >>>> Thanks, | >>>>

| >>>> Les | >>>>

| >>>>

| >>>>

| >>>>

| >>>>

| >>>

| >>>

| >>

| >>

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Basically I was so surprised by what I had discovered that I did not have time to think out a troubleshooting procedure. I will return and do some serious data acquisition later so that the diagnoses can be made.

That's a whole lot of BS to say: "I'll check it later."

Reply to
ABLE_1

Personally on my Vista problem I have a feeling Ademko packaged a proprietary panel as a normal one, but won't own up to it.

| > I've had problem with voltage drop on rural service. | >

| > I even have a Vista 15 that even though the voltage is good it does the | > same | > thing you describe (fortunately he's a local) but I can't remote program | > and | > never did find out what the prob was...probably noise but I don't have | > tools | > to measure that. | >

| >

| > | >>>> To bring this narrative ahead a bit, I ended up at the demarc and | > with | > | >>>> the house, panel and all disconnected so that I was connected | > direct | > | >>>> from the CO and the following was observed. | > | >>>>

| > | >>>> On the speaker of the butt set just before the 1st ring a small | > buzz | > | >>>> click was heard and then after the first ring a carrier tone is | > heard | > | >>>> for about 1 second and then a pause and then the next ring. | > Nothing | > | >>>> else is heard except for normal rings after that. | > | >>

| > | >> I am still puzzled??? | > | >>

| > | >> TIA | > | >>

| > | >> Les | > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >>> Do you have a RJ31x ESSEX DSL filter | > | >>> I have found DSL screws with up load down load.tones | > | >>> and by having the rj block filter it stops it. | > | >>> Also did they add sattelite dish some times the cable and or dish | > box | > | >>> has a phone connection that will screw with phone line as well was | > this | > | >>> recently added. | > | >>> Worse comes to worse take all phones off gray brown telco wires and | > try | > | >>> download to see if problem is with in house wiring or comming in | > from | > | >>> pole . | > | >>> I have seen DSL cause all kinds of strange problems even when you | > think | > | >>> you have everything filtered and some one adds an exstension etc and | > | >>> does not do it right. | > | >>> DSC modems are very suseptable to dsl | > | >>>

| > | >>>> Customer has one phone line. | > | >>>> Standard set up with RJ31X. | > | >>>> Phone line has DSL | > | >>>> DSL Filters installed. | > | >>>> System Communicates Signals to CS, all good | > | >>>> Normal phones in house with Answering Machine and CID Box | > | >>>> Previous connection for UpDownload OK. | > | >>>>

| > | >>>> Problem comes up when I try to connect to panel remotely. Panel | > will | > | >>>> hang and then disconnect. Went to site today and used my laptop to | > | >>>> connect to the panel thru my "private phone company in a box" which | > | >>>> would be the same as connecting over the phone line. Connection is | > | >>>> good and data transferred as it should. | > | >>>>

| > | >>>> Connected my Butt Set to the phone line and dialed with my cell | > phone | > | >>>> to trigger the panel to answer, Answering Machine Bypass function | > | >>>> enabled. While listening to the amplified speaker I heard what | > sounded | > | >>>> like a modem answering with a carrier tone after the first ring. | > | >>>>

| > | >>>> To bring this narrative ahead a bit, I ended up at the demarc and | > with | > | >>>> the house, panel and all disconnected so that I was connected | > direct | > | >>>> from the CO and the following was observed. | > | >>>>

| > | >>>> On the speaker of the butt set just before the 1st ring a small | > buzz | > | >>>> click was heard and then after the first ring a carrier tone is | > heard | > | >>>> for about 1 second and then a pause and then the next ring. | > Nothing | > | >>>> else is heard except for normal rings after that. | > | >>>>

| > | >>>> It is as if another modem or panel is on the line and connecting on | > the | > | >>>> first ring but not answering the call. | > | >>>>

| > | >>>> Has anyone experienced anything like this and/or what the blazes is | > it | > | >>>> or could it be????????? I ran out of time to investigate it | > further | > | >>>> on site with voltages, current, etc. but it seems very strange. | > Any | > | >>>> thoughts from the masses would be welcome. | > | >>>>

| > | >>>> Thanks, | > | >>>>

| > | >>>> Les | > | >>>>

| > | >>>>

| > | >>>>

| > | >>>>

| > | >>>>

| > | >>>

| > | >>>

| > | >>

| > | >>

| > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

"ABLE_1" a écrit dans le message de news:

9eGdnTRdTcwxgDnYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

typical caller id sound..

Reply to
Petem

Well I just can't believe that would ever happen in today's world.

Reply to
ABLE_1

Is it??? First I would not have been listening if there was not a problem connecting remotely. Second I have never heard nor listened for the CID before so I can't say that it is "typical". I know that the CID happens between the first and second ring but always thought it was at a high freq data similar to DSL. If it is CID then I need to test this elsewhere to see if it is the same.

Which brings up another question. Does CID vary between carriers?? And IF so and it was CID then it would explain why I may not have ever heard it before.

At this time it is all still very strange.

Reply to
ABLE_1

Reply to
nick markowitz

Reply to
I brive a dus

CID is sounding like a modem

on this web page it is describe very well

formatting link
Here's a quote:

"The data is transmitted serially between the first and second rings of the incoming call. The data is transmitted at 1200 bits per second in FSK mode.

1200 Hz represents a logical 1 (mark) and 2200 Hz a logical 0 (space)"

as you can see the data is sent in fsk mode,witch mean frequency shit keying,is the method used in modem to send data over sound..(its also used in ham radio for transmitting data over the air...)

as you can see in the web page,CID is a standard and should not vary from one provider to another,but I've seen difference in sound level on the line from the same provider..

"ABLE_1" a écrit dans le message de news: SPGdnTbwj_DU_DnYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Petem

some places you just can't download and you just gotta live with it.

Reply to
Bob

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.