Vonage/POTS and Venture 3-line Phone

I'm hoping to use two Vonage VOIP lines and a single POTS line. Our phone system includes threel Nortel Venture 3-line phones. The Vonage comes from a single Linksys PAP2 adapter.

I understand the danger of connecting an incoming POTS line to the Linksys PAP2 adapter. I know how to disconnect the POTS line from the Vonage lines in our home. I've also read of people successfully connecting both a POTS and a Vonage line to a two-line phone.

But I'm really concerned about the Venture phone. The Venture system sends communications between the various Venture phones (such as dialing directories) and is also capable of serving as an intercom and of forwarding calls to other Venture phones. This means that the Venture sends ring tones to the other phones. It seems to me that if a Venture phone sent a ring tone to a line that has a Linksys PAP2 adapter on it, that could be trouble.

On the other hand, I have a partner who already has her Vonage plugged into an identical Venture phone system, without incident. But maybe she's never forwarded a phone call?

Anybody have any experience mixing Vonage and POTS lines on a Nortel Venture 3-line phone system, or have any knowlege of whether this is a safe thing to do?

Thanks! Myron Johnson

Reply to
Myron Johnson
Loading thread data ...

Each line is independent. The ringing on the intercom is either on a separate pair or superimposed over one of the lines.

Carl Navarro

Reply to
Carl Navarro

replying to Myron Johnson, RevoOR wrote:

This is a OLD message but I just want to say yes you can use a POTS from your local phone company on your Venture system with Vonage as other lines. Here is how I had/Have my setup.

Seeing the phone system don't like Vonage on line 1 the POTS goes to line 1, then you can use 2 and 3 for Vonage lines. What I did is set up my lines to work like this, POTS if busy forward to Vonage line 1 on the adapter but is really line 2 of your Venture set, Then I paid for another line from vonage that was for Fax but used as line 3. This I set up my first line of Vonage to Forward to the Fax line if it was busy. Then say my TAD answered lines 1 and 2 or the Venture set line 3 was set to forward to Vonage VM if it was busy. This was fall back in case all lines were going at 1 time they would just be set to VM. I had this setup and working for 7 years from 2001 to 2008 when I moved from WA I shut it all down. Well now I use my Venture again and seeing the Vonage and Venture still don't want to Ring line 1 right I have set up my system again just last week almost the same but don't have L3 online right now but I have Vonage line 1 on the Adapter set to line 2 of the Venture and a POTS set as line 1. I use all the Venture system. MOH with a CD/MP3 Player that Loops music, a PA amp with speaker for outside my Office door for paging and a Electronic Door opener for my Office all on the Enhanced Feature Adapter. Everything is installed again without any issues. Use paging phone to phone, and room Mon at times. Hard to find another KSU-Less system with all the features this has. I love it. Sad that Nortel is now Defunct.

James

Reply to
RevoOR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.