Problem with GEM-P3200 and phone service

Greetings! I have a Napco GEM-P3200 which has been trouble-free for many years. Last week I ran into trouble with the phone service in my house. Basically after 4 rings on incoming calls, the line would go dead. My answering machine was set to pickup on the 5th. ring, so I never got any messages.

I thought the was with the answering machine, so I purchased a new one, only to find that the problem persisted. I unplugged all phones and answering machines and the problem was still there, but when I unplugged the P3200, the probem went away. I retested a few times and now know conclusively that the P3200 is the problem.

I checked all of the connections and they seem fine. I was hoping that there was some sort of modem board on the unit that I could easily replace, but it looks like the modem is integrated onto the circuit board. Do I have any options other than to replace the entire unit? If not, how difficult is it to move the programming from the old unit over to the new one?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Reply to
jweinberg
Loading thread data ...

Your panel is programmed to answer in four rings. You should have your dealer program it for 10 rings and your problem will go away. If you don't have a dealer, contact me off the group and I will upload your system and make the change for you. Regaqrds, Allan

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Sir, I don't know Napco panels at all. In fact, I wouldn't know one if it fell off the shelf and hit me on the head. However, if Napco works like most other panels, the installer has the answer count set for four rings. Simply have him dial in and reset it to 8 rings, so your answering machine can pick up on 5 rings.

If your alarmco has to get in, they can activate "answering machine override" to get in ahead of your answering machine....ie; 2 rings, hang up, dial back and panel answers the line after the first ring....or Napco's version of the same sort of thing....

The reason the line goes dead, is the panel is answering the phone line and excluding the telephones on that line. That is the way it is supposed to work.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.