alarming a detached garage

a buddy of mine had Slomans out to his house and put in a security system but the company told him that they would have to run a seperate key pad for the garage since it was detached from the main house (only about 25 feet from the house). i told him that was wierd since he has a telephone line and a cable tv line running to the garage from the house. am i wrong about that or were they just trying to pad the bill?

thanks for any help

Reply to
JerseyMike
Loading thread data ...

Dunno. Right now you're trying to "second guess" the guy at Slomins without knowing what kind of system he has installed. It would help us to know what equipments on site and some more details about what they're proposing to install.

Reply to
Frank Olson

If they are protecting the detached garage it would be a good idea...otherwise whomever comes home with the groceries will have to run into the house house to disarm the system before delay time runs out. It'd be really ackward using the system without a keypad out there IF the garage was protected by the alarm.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

i'm not really sure about what was installed to be honest it just seemed strange to me, but i'm not a pro. i think he said they put in some window alarms and door sensors. i thought for sure he'd put in some motion detectors in the garage or somehting like that, but i'm not sure what he decided on.

thanks.......

Reply to
JerseyMike

i guess you're right, i never thought about that.

thanks

Reply to
JerseyMike

What type of wire is running to the garage for the phone line?

Are all conductors used?

Reply to
George Siegle

i don't know but the guy only has a cordless phone in there. not sure what is being used.

after reading all the extra questions i guess i'm should have not opposite that of the pros, but you hear so much about being over charges for stuf and being pressured into buying things that aren't really necessary i just wanted to post the question.

Reply to
JerseyMike

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.