Somebody at Napco Watches this Group

I suspected it a while back. Napco used to incorrectly label telephone tip and ring on their panels. I mentioned it here a couple times. A while back I noticed they had corrected that. Atleast on the 1632 which is my main panel.

Then last year I was bitching and whining about lack of response from my rep, when low and behold... he calls me.

Last week we were talking about laptops and serial ports and somebody mentioned that Napco has a USB interface now. I said I was going to have to call my rep and ask for one.

One of my fun fishing sites crashed last week due to a CIG script going berserk and I have spending all my spare time fixing that. I haven't had time to call my rep.

Didn't matter though. UPS dropped one off today while I was sitting here doing billing. NOW THAT'S SERVICE. They sent me something I have been THINKING ABOUT asking for.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Um, that was me. See what happens? All you had to do was chat with me and you got a free USB kit. :^)

Sort of like finding a bottle in the sand, eh?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yeah, but it was also you that was quoting tip and ring incorrectly to people several years ago because you learned it off a Napco panel. I figured if I mentioned one I would have to mention the other. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

When did I quote tip and ring incorrectly? The way I learned it (not off a Napco panel but from reading voltage with a meter) is "ring = red = negative". If I recall correctly it was Ashbury who got it wrong (along with almost everything else) in his so-called FAQ.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Um... on a meter red is positive. Confused the heck of me back when I worked for the phone company and was learning about telephone as a teenager. As far as I know only on telephones red is negative. Almost every new tech I knew after that got it wrong until somebody explained to them that telephone is just different. "If tip is positive then tip must be red." Wrong, but it sure seems to make sense huh? I've heard a few engineers say that, "Mr Bell just did things his own way."

I'm not gonna get in a pissing match with you like so many others have. You are welcome to Google yourself and see if I'm wrong. I could be. I've been reading this group since about 1996 or 97 I think so that is a lot of Googling. You only have to have said it wrong one time for me to be right. LOL.

I recall Jacob stating that incorrectly and you correcting him once also, but that was much later.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yep. Same here except my job for the phone company was in the data processing center. I learned to work on phones long before that, fixing our house' wiring. The first time I checked the voltage and saw that red was negative I thought it was reversed so I "fixed" it. All of a sudden our brand new touchtone phones would no longer dial. I put the wires back and they worked fine.

Some years later I noticed that the telco guys would sometimes deliberately reverse the leads if you didn't pay for touchtone service (it was an extra $2 or $3 then). Swapping them made touchtone phones work.

I'm not aware of any other circuits that are wired that way either.

Bell's original wiring wasn't red and green anyway. BTW, do you know who the first alarm installer was and who he partnered with?

Could be. I've made mistakes now and then.

Ashbury got almost everything wrong. Remember when he boasted about using motor gasket cement on alarm circuits? What a nut-case.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Wow..!!

I just wich this could be the same here...

"Bob La Londe" a écrit dans le message de news:

05ydnQuLJ48tct7ZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com...
Reply to
petem

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.