NAPCO NO LONGER REPLACING KNOWN DEFECTIVES

A few years ago we had a couple Napco P1632s start sending run-a-way memory error signals. I was very concerned and asked them if I should go out in the field and replace all in that time frame. Napco told us not to worry about it. They would send us boards as they went bad. I just had one start doing it a couple days ago. It was installed in the right time frame for that problem so I called them. Nope. They won't replace them anymore.

Maybe its time to start interviewing panel manufacturers again. Find out who really wants my business these days.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

P.S. I tried e-mailing my rep first.

"This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

snipped-for-privacy@napcosecurity.com"

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob, call your rep on the telephone..... tell him what happened.

Let me know if he gets you a board or not.

Reply to
Jim

You don't enter anything at those locations. They're only for when you are using a digital format. To enable Point ID, just indicate that in the format choice area and in the zones area, there's a box where you choose what type of zone each is. I'm presuming that you're using the Quickloader program.

If you're hand programing at the keypad, I can't help you.

Reply to
Jim

You can enter anything for reporting other than zones

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You don't need to enter any value at all if you are using Contact ID. The Napco panel will send the appropriate CID code if the function has been configured to report and the CS number has been assigned to use CID.

No. That's not how it works. There's one place to configure it to report to a given CS and another place to assign the codes. When using CID only the zones need to be told what to send. Napco uses an abbreviated version of the standard Ademco Point ID format. All "general" reporting functions (panic, fire, trouble, etc.) use built-in standard codes.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That's because Napco uses predetermined CID codes for everything but the zones.

You can enter anything at all or nothing at all. If the CS has been assigned to use CID the panel ignores those data entries. It only cares what you select for the zones (Burg, Fire, etc.).

No. That is not correct. If you don't want keypad panic to be sent to the CS, uncheck the reporting boxes for that function for each CS number.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yes, you can send all of those. The panel decides what codes to use if you've assigned CID to the CS. You only have to tell the panel whether to report each condition to the specific CS.

Good decision. The Quickloader program takes a little getting used to but once you understand it the larger Gemini panels are *extremely* configurable -- more so than anything else in the price range.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No problem, Russ. If you ever run into a snag on a Napco system, feel free to give me a call. I've worked been a Napco dealer for more than 25 years. They larger Gemini models are great panels (though I'm not especially fond of the P1632 or the smaller ones).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That's good... makes it easier to see those tiny jumpers on the board. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Bob,

Did you get your P1632 board replaced yet???

Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

That is correct

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Bob,

When programming any of the Napco Gemini panels to use Ademco Point ID, what value do you enter in locations like keypad Panic... Is it like the old Moose stuff, enter any value in the reporting location to enable reporting in Point ID, leave blank if reporting is NOT desired... Regards, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

I know I must choose Burg, Fire, Heat, Gas, etc. etc... when it comes to the zones... The manual is a little confusing when it comes to sending things like "Keypad Panic", there isn't a Point ID choice available... Soooo, I'm assuming if I enter any value (Like "11"), the panel will send a E120 signal to the CS... If I don't want to send a "Keypad Panic", I would leave that entry blank........ Mark is this correct???

Regards, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

So you can't send things like Low Battery, AC Fail, etc... etc... if you use Point ID with the Gemini controls???

To enable Point ID, just indicate that in

Yes, I will be.... I was just converted to Napco...

Reply to
Russell Brill

Cool.......... Thanks for the info, Napco is new to me and I wasn't sure about the CID reporting option...... Again, Thanks for clearing up the mystery........ Regards, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

After reading your response and the others, the Light Bulb above my head came on.......... :-)) Thanks, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

Nope. When I business slows down in January I'll shop the various manufacturers again and see if I can find one that is as responsive as Scott was when he worked for Napco.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob, just a comment.

Through the years here, I've noticed that you've had problems with various Mfg and suppliers. I'm sure everyone does, now and then. Don't you have any concern about having a lot of different mfgs panels and equpment out in the field? I've had a few problems with Napco, other mfgs, distributors, etc. through the years, but I've worked them out or overlooked them because they were not THAT significant to make it worth the trouble of having multiple mfgs to service. Doesn't this present a problem to you?. It's also a detriment to selling the business....someday.

Reply to
Jim

You have a valid point, but support is an issue. I used DSC when I first started my business. It was ok, but then they went to a proprietary distribution setup through Tri-Ed. I dropped them and went to FBII. They took very good care of me until the did the same thing and my rep. Greg Cortina quit and went to work for Radionics. Then no or lousy service. I had been using FBII products for atleast a couple years. That was the last time I had to shop for a new main panel line. Scott Jones took very good care of me, and even told me to call him direct 24/7 on his cell if I couldn't get through to tech support if I had a problem. Since Scott quit and went to work for Alarmax I just haven't gotten the same customer care I used to get. I even got stiffed out of a control panel on a model home program a couple years ago. My rep is simpley non-responsive. What do I do? I look for a company that will take care of me. Over all I like the Napco Gemini line of products and it works well for me. I have been using them for quite a number of years and I have a lot of them out there. Beleive me. Deciding to shop for another MFG is not something I take lightly. It is expensive in then having to provide support for another line as well as training personnel.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.