Drop-out relay

Hi Folks,

I am intending to use an ACP00747 from Linear. It has been pointed out to me that the risk with the device is that if someone rips it off the wall, they need only short the wires to trigger the doors.

Apparently, the fix to this is a drop-out relay... can someone recommend one for me, suitable for this purposes ?

Thanks

Reply to
neo
Loading thread data ...

Any DPDT relay will do the trick. You run the door trigger circuit through the C and N.O. terminals of one pole of the relay and then through the output terminals of the Linear device. Run power to the relay coil through a N.O. tamper switch on the protected device and then through the other C and N.O. terminals of the relay. As long as the device is unmolested the relay will remain energized and the circuit from the door operator will be able to be completed by activating the Linear unit. If the device is tampered the relay will drop out, breaking the circuit and thereby disabling the outdoor control of the garage door.

As to sources, you can order a DPDT relay online at any of a hundred retailers, including my online store. You can also buy one at any Radio Shack store probably for about the same price. If this isn't clear, contact me and I'll draw a simple diagram for you. This one is easier to do than it is to explain.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I think what you're describing is a relay on the power that latches thru it's contacts. If it drops out, there's no power available until it is "reset". Neg on one side of the coil. Bring power in on a pole and use the "energized" contact to supply pos to the other side of the coil. You "reset" by shorting plus to the plus side of the coil. If you don't loose power, it's available for the doors. Then again, I could be totally out to lunch here but it was fun.

*** Posted via a free Usenet account from
formatting link
Reply to
mikey

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.