QWEST Still Sucks

Yesterday I did a move for a client from one suite in a complex to another. They ordered a new phone line for the new suite. (not sure why) Anyway, I could not find the prerun wire from their new suite in the phone room were the demarc is. The new phone line was there clearly marked on a new block.

It bothered me until I got out my ladder and a flashlight to look up in the ceiling. The feed wire to that suite went into a conduit which I could see went down a wall into a nearby utility room. I had building management come out to open the utility room for me. I expected to find a cross connect board, but nope. There was a whole-nuther demarc. Coming down the wall was the feed wire from the clients suite. Says telco property on the demarc, more than a dozen lines are connected there, and its obviously fed by a telco provided underground cable.

No problem I thought. Call Q-Worst and explain that they had installed to the wrong demarc. The first CS rep decided I was high, that it was installed correctly, and that it was the customer's fault for not hiring Q-Worst to install wire and jacks. (Wire and jacks that already existed in perfect working order.) After going back and forth on the phone for nearly

30 minutes arguing with the first genius I got switched to another.

It took nearly 30 minutes for the second genius to decide to send somebody out, but he still argued that Q-Worst had installed it to the correct demarc inspite of the fact that a previous business in that suite had Q-Worst service from that demarc. I even looked them up in a directory and found their old listed number marked on the block covers in the demarc. Q-Worst will have a field tech out sometime today between 9 and 5, and they still may not do anything according to genius number 2.

Sigh.

Any Q-Worst reps reading this take offense? Good. Maybe you will fix the problem of blaming all your mistakes on other people, and just start fixing your mistakes. Maybe train your techs to understand that those of us who are personally responsible for our performance actually know what we are talking about. I doubt it, but we can hope.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

"That's" ..... the key to it. It seems hard to find people who take personal responsibility. I'd guess it comes from all of the mergers that take place nowdays, as compared to when it wasn't so common. Employees become just numbers as they get absorbed and absorbed again and again and allows them to be able to just show up for work in order to get paid. If they do just passable work and get away with what they can get away with, they're still going to get paid and it's likely someone else will be called in to fix their mistakes.

Yet ...... one of the factors that lead me to go out on my own was because I couldn't do that. I never wanted to be criticized for doing bad work. So it would seem that .... those people who will or do take responsibility for what they do, don't work for organizations that tolerate or foster it. Or ..... as a matter of fact,..... I know of incidents where organizations that do tolerate it, actually "won't" tolerate someone who is innovative and responsible. They just don't fit in the mold because they disrupt the "flow".

So .... it would seem that this is one of the key differences between the entrepreneurial business and big companys.

Reply to
Jim

I have a customer who paid Verizon for always up service on his T1 circuit because they are freight forwarders there phones have to be on. they spent $20,000 on generator etc. so they can stay running during emergency's and 3 different times they lost power generator came on lights computers etc all fine no T1 Verizon for either them or local hospital. Talk about pissed especially since they and hospital pay extra for always up. service. Verizon never bothered to replace bad batteries at there central. needless to say them and hospital got hold of Verizon execs and it was corrected but it never should have come to it.

Then there's Consolidated by me the worst of the worst.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Why bother? Why didn't you tie in there and just tell the Cx to report it?

I rarely get involved with the Telco Corp. unless they are preventing me from doing the job (port blocking mainly).

Reply to
G. Morgan

Well, there would have been the small matter of installing 75 Yards of wire across 7 business suites, through 2 buildings, and multiple brick firewalls. Or Qworst could just do it right the first time.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ah ha! Yup, that's a good reason to call!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Bob, I commend you on your persistence and efforts to get it done right. Even though you may have won this battle the war will still be lost.

I am sure your rant here made you feel better but that would be about it.

I have had similar issues locally but they seem to wake up the next day like nothing ever went wrong the day before. In other words they learned nothing.

Oh and also somehow on their time off they seem to have the ability to breed. Thus repeating the process for the future.

Ok, my rant is off now.

Have a good weekend.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Aw crap - ya done got me started on telco bastids.

Doing a fire system for a major department store in Flint, MI. It's a sub from ADT. Anyway, supposed to meet the telco sub-contractor and show him where the fire panel will be so he can run the lines. I drove up from Detroit and there are at least six weather related accidents that make me half an hour late. I call ahead to let them know I will be there.

I show the guy where the fire panel will be and he starts whining about how he was told he was only going to have to verify lines, not run them and how he hates drilling through concrete block. I show him the main telephone room and he doesn't know the numbers he's supposed to use. I even show him where the intrusion panels are, as they were noted on his paperwork, but told him they are working fine and as far as I knew.

Last time I saw him he was calling his boss about the tire on his van being flat.

About a week later I get a call from my boss who wants a blow by blow of what happened when I met with him. The store called the telco about the work not being done. Telco calls the sub who braces the tech and he tells them I showed up late (which was true), didn't know where anything was and just told him he was on his own before leaving after only a few minutes.

Well, I've only been with these guys since December but my boss and the install mgr from ADT we work with felt they knew me well enough that they backed me up even before getting my story - that was nice, but I'd still like to throttle that jerk...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

It's just a suggestion but maybe you can make up some kind of little letter or form just in case this might happen again. Just something that the other guy can sign to say that you were there and ...... etc ... etc.

Reply to
Jim

Yeah, that's a good idea. In hindsight, I also could have checked out with the construction foreman - with the other tech in tow.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.