Range of keyfob

I am considering a wireless alarmsystem for my home. At this moment I am in the process of designing my system based on the Visonic Powermax Pro. (That will be on the market soon) I want to operate my system with keyfobs. I prefer not to use delayed zones in my house, so I want to use the keyfob when I am outside my home to arm and disarm the system.

Can anyone tell something about the range of keyfobs? Will it work for disarm and arm when outside? Total distance between fob and centrale will be 5-8 meter, depending on location where I put system. No concrete wall between fob and system.

Wim

P.S. The keyfob I have in mind is the MCT-237. Thats a two-way keyfob which will display status results from system, so feedback about successfull arming is present.

Reply to
Wim J
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

I've used Napco wireless keyfobs successfully at distance up to about

50' from the front of the home. Whenever we used wireless, which wasn't all that often since I prefer hard-wired, I would usually install the receiver above the door inside a first floor coat closet. I've used Napco's 2-way universal (works with *most* brands) keyfobs with similar results. Obviously, performance is going to vary with the type of construction and other factors such as obstructions. But IME 50' is a reasonable expectation in recent construction, barring obstructions like major appliances or whatever.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

Ok, thank you. Its not the answer I like to hear :). And since Europe uses different frequency (868Mhz versus 313Mhz in USA) range of keyfob maybe even less in Europe (at least, as far as I know). I hope the detectors (PIR and magnetic) have better range. Can any comment on that?

Wim

Reply to
Wim J

Thanks. One stupid question. Since I am not used to inches, foot and yards I am not familiar what 50' means. 50 inch? foot? yard? Once I know that, I can convert this to meters myzelf.

Wim

Reply to
Wim J

The range of wireless transmitters can depend on many factors. The manufacturer is one factor. If maximum range is a concern then inovonics

formatting link
is the gear that wins there. In your application it doesn't seem like range is the deciding factor. If you're in Europe you might want to look at this
formatting link
as well as the Visonic.

Reply to
Roland Moore

' =feet " =inch

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Meters? WTF...Last time I checkd PA was still part of the US.

Reply to
alarman

50' (50 feet) is roughly 15.24 meters.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

Damn you must have had some lousy luck with keyfobs, thats way less than I've seen

Reply to
Mark Leuck

A much bigger question is why you are designing your system around a Visonic PowerMax Pro?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I see you've never been to PA :)

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Thats an other question, but I shall answer it.

I assume that your main objection against is the fact that its a wireless system. A wired system is more expensive (due to the installation), and its not easy in an existing house, especially when you need detectors on two floors.

In my neighbourhoud, almost every burglary is done by people who are almost unprepared, and want to make a very fast job. So a system which starts a sirine as soon as they enter might scare them off sufficient. They will not have equipment to by bypass the wireless system. Of course they can use hammer to destroy the system, but thats why I want to make a design with separate sirene.

I am aware that a wireless system has disadvantages, but I try to make them as low as possible by designing a good system, and thinking (and write them down!) of all possible scenario's from a possible intruder.

Or is there another reason that you do not like Visonic??

Wim

Reply to
Wim J

The issue isn't that it's a wireless system but it's kinda junky

Reply to
Mark Leuck

True, but it's still right there on my map next to Ohio.

Reply to
alarman

Can you explain why?

Wim

Reply to
Wim J

It's not GE. ;-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

I live in Europe, and GE is hardly available here :).

Wim

Reply to
Wim J

Over time a manufacturer develops a reputation. In my experience Visonic has been a lower end product. That shouldn't be a surprise to Visonic since it is aimed and priced at the lower end of the market. In the US the majority of Visonic sales are in its a line of wireless and its motion sensors. Neither line has been robust their performance or longevity in my experience. I don't think they are built or priced to be anything other than low end gear. Most get replaced with another brand when they fail. If you are looking for something cheap and portable, that you'll get rid of in a few years in favor of something better and more permanent, Visonic might be perfect for your needs now.

Reply to
Roland Moore

been a lower end product. That shouldn't be a surprise to Visonic since it is aimed and priced at the lower end of the market. In the US the majority of Visonic sales are in its a line of wireless and its motion sensors. Neither line has been robust their performance or longevity in my experience. I don't think they are built or priced to be anything other than low end gear. Most get replaced with another brand when they fail. If you are looking for something cheap and portable, that you'll get rid of in a few years in favor of something better and more permanent, Visonic might be perfect for your needs now.

The thing about Visonic is that while their wireless is sort of low end, their hard wired motion detectors are excellent. I can't speak for the entire line but I've used lots of their K-980D dual techs and SPY series in-wall units. We've also sold more of them online than almost all the others and to date there have been extremely few problems.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.