Garage Door Question

Thanks to all of you that have already helped me out on the contact placement issue I was having.

Wanted your opinions on something. I have a Keyfob for my system. We have a garage that is connected to the home but no door that leads directly from the garage into the home. The entry door to our garage is right outside our front door. Anyway, I'm thinking I simply put a door contact on that door and then a contact on the garage door but I'm struggling with the time it takes to enter the garage, get out of the garage and then de-activate the alarm. Now, true with a Keyfob we can just disarm it but how do you really know that it's disarmed...I don't want to think it's disarmed, spend time in the garage say getting groceries out and then have the sucker go off on me.

Do we just increase the response time on the garage door zone to something like three mintues, 5 minutes, etc.

Just looking for your thoughts and if i'm missing something obvious here.

Thanks again.

Joe.

Reply to
Joe Nortman
Loading thread data ...

I don't think you want to allow 5 minutes to get into your home. And, although not as important, you have to think about exit time too.

Forgot what panel you're using but there's likely some way you can use an Aux relay output or logic output to cause at least an LED to come on. For instance, the panels I use (Napco) would allow you to program a logic output so you could light an LED that was visible from the outside of your home, or cause the siren to "chirp" upon arming or disarming.

Reply to
Jim

Put an l.e.d. on a plate in the garage. Connect it to a programmable output on the alarm control, and program that output for armed status. js

Reply to
alarman

I put a keypad in my garage; 90 second exit delay, and 2 minute entry delay on the overhead door. Younger, quicker person could make it less, I suppose. You can see and hear the keypad from the car.

I don't like keyfobs for home - it is like writing the alarm code on the wall next to the keypad.

Rick

Reply to
Ranger

I hate keyfobs too, especially if you're prone (like me) to dropping stuff on the driveway on the way in the house.

| > Wanted your opinions on something. I have a Keyfob for my system. We | have | > a garage that is connected to the home but no door that leads directly | from | > the garage into the home. The entry door to our garage is right outside | our | > front door. Anyway, I'm thinking I simply put a door contact on that door | > and then a contact on the garage door but I'm struggling with the time it | > takes to enter the garage, get out of the garage and then de-activate the | > alarm. Now, true with a Keyfob we can just disarm it but how do you | really | > know that it's disarmed...I don't want to think it's disarmed, spend time | in | > the garage say getting groceries out and then have the sucker go off on | me. | >

| > Do we just increase the response time on the garage door zone to something | > like three mintues, 5 minutes, etc. | >

| > Just looking for your thoughts and if i'm missing something obvious here. | >

| > Thanks again. | >

| > Joe. | >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yes, you guys are now making me think about the drawbacks of the Keyfob. I like the idea of just putting a keypad in the garage.....decisions...decisions!

Joe

Reply to
Joe Nortman

Put a keypad there...then you don't have to rush in the house if a neighbor wants to yak with you out on the driveway....and you can shorten that secondary entry delay time.

| >

| > | > Wanted your opinions on something. I have a Keyfob for my system. We | > | have | > | > a garage that is connected to the home but no door that leads directly | > | from | > | > the garage into the home. The entry door to our garage is right | > outside | > | our | > | > front door. Anyway, I'm thinking I simply put a door contact on that | > door | > | > and then a contact on the garage door but I'm struggling with the time | > it | > | > takes to enter the garage, get out of the garage and then de-activate | > the | > | > alarm. Now, true with a Keyfob we can just disarm it but how do you | > | really | > | > know that it's disarmed...I don't want to think it's disarmed, spend | > time | > | in | > | > the garage say getting groceries out and then have the sucker go off | > on | > | me. | > | >

| > | > Do we just increase the response time on the garage door zone to | > something | > | > like three mintues, 5 minutes, etc. | > | >

| > | > Just looking for your thoughts and if i'm missing something obvious | > here. | > | >

| > | > Thanks again. | > | >

| > | > Joe. | > | >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Your average car alarm has a blinking LED to let you know when it's armed... you could wire something like that into your panel and mount it somewhere inconspicuous just inside the door, perhaps?

Reply to
Matt Ion

Joe,

I used to bug the overhead door and the inside door leading from the garage to the house as well. I'd program a 2-minute delay on the overhead door zone and a short (usually 30 second) delay on the inside door.

Many panels will change to the short delay the second you open the inside door. That way you have enough time to open the roll-up door, drive in, close the door, get out of the car and reach the inside door before generating a false alarm. The thief will usually go to the inside door immediately, triggering the short delay timer.

Before doing this check your installation manual to be certain your system functions in like manner. Also, give careful thought to the length of the two delays. Too long and the thief has an edge. Too short and you're more likely to set the system off unnecessarily.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Joe Nortman wrote:

Reply to
sales

Can you program your system to chirp the siren on arm and disarm?

Boop.

Boop,Boop.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.