Paradox Magellan 6060 flawed?

Hi All

An interesting reading. Can anybody confirm that?

http://208.56.221.39/Invision/index.php?s=58e620ad8c0a1fafa66d3b284942f172&showtopic=546 Cheers Robert

Reply to
rjb
Loading thread data ...

about as flawed as any arm/disarm keyfob without a keycode entry...drop it on your driveway when your leaving home and what difference would it make if it had a rolling code or not?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Thanks for the info.

Is there any other solution on the market which could be closer to a "true" wireless security system and be the same time a good DIY solution?

Seems like here they have a good selection:

formatting link
Basically I'm looking for a system I could install myself at my house(two floors, wooden structure). Paradox Magellan seems like a good solution by looking at their page and reading some feedback on google.

One more thing. They are saying 35m range for their wireless sensors? Anybody had a chance to test them? What is the "real" range?

Cheers, Robert

Reply to
rjb

Thanks again.

Spectra looks good. Perhaps a bit more hassle to install, but it could be a better solution.

Order time: Does any of you have experience with this online store:

formatting link
Regards, Robert

Reply to
rjb

Mark, R.H. thanks a lot.

Do you know of any good online retails I could get the gear?

Cheers

Reply to
rjb

Are they all that bad? Perhaps I could get it from my local dealer, but they charge a lot here in NZ. US$650 just for the console. Hence I though about buying it online.

Reply to
rjb

You might try calling the company and asking; their tech support is very good, and it's been my experience they will tell you "the way it is" even when that doesn't always reflect well on them. But that level of tech support is only available to dealers so I don't know if that applies to you or not

However, the Magellan is another of the "squawk in a box" type systems that is hardly what anyone should consider a true, serious alarm system. It was initially designed for small trailers and apartments etc, but it's primary purpose seems to be to satisfy the insatiable appetite of the mass marketers for selling long term monitoring contracts with the need for an absolute minimum of actual installation work. Its biggest flaw in my opinion is that the dialer is built into the unit itself, and is not remotely located like some others. Most typical installations likely wouldn't even have line exclusion, so it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to defeat these types of systems.

I would agree with you on the lack of rolling code technology being a missing feature, but that is FAR from their biggest weakness. IMO, it's not likely that any thief capable enough to capture the codes would be interested in any home where one of these devices was installed. That's the stuff of Hollywood movies !!

RHC

http://208.56.221.39/Invision/index.php?s=58e620ad8c0a1fafa66d3b284942f172&showtopic=546>

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I don't know if any systems have a rolling code, it's never been a problem that I know of

http://208.56.221.39/Invision/index.php?s=58e620ad8c0a1fafa66d3b284942f172&showtopic=546>

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You are still talking about no rolling codes with the Spectra, again in my opinion it's no big deal since the signal is encrypted and at a different frequency than a garage door opener

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I can't comment on any of the other all in one systems because for the reasons previously stated, they simply don't meet the standards of a true, professional alarm system (IMO). So I don't use them !

However, the Magellan uses the same wireless Paradox components that can be part of a Spectra or Digiplex hybrid system, so I do have some experience with the wireless components. I can't tell you the absolute range, but I can tell you their signal strength is excellent. They rarely show a signal strength of less than 7 out of a maximum of 8 in any installations I have done even in some VERY large homes.

The keyfob seems to work reliably for about 100 feet; I haven't tried it further than that...

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

That is a good question, I've yet to hear anyone actually installing a Magellan much less seeing them offered

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Oh boy, I'm not gonna touch that one....:))

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

No, it's an inside joke. What I was referring to by that comment was the ongoing battle on this ng between the brick and mortar dealers and the online dealers (or at least one of them....)

Best to do a search and find one that is reasonably close to you

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Right about now would be a good time for "him" to pipe up and say "I've sold hundreds", but "he" hasn't posted since the 4th. I'm afraid mentioning "his" name might result in the "floodgates" being opened... Sort of like mentioning "RF..." Nevermind... :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Dunno. I rarely sell keyfob arming/disarming devices...most of my clients are scatter brained - I envision them dropping them on the driveway or leaving them on their keychain when they have their car repaired.

I only sell them when I can't install a keypad in the mbr and the client wants some control over the system at night from the mbr. I don't recommend they carry them outside the house...of course if they do, it aint my problem.

| >

| http://208.56.221.39/Invision/index.php?s=58e620ad8c0a1fafa66d3b284942f172&showtopic=546| > | | > | Cheers | > | Robert | > | | > | | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

good point, how do you double them up? just use the remote as a shunt and put interior on delay, I'm intrigued.

http://208.56.221.39/Invision/index.php?s=58e620ad8c0a1fafa66d3b284942f172&showtopic=546> |

Reply to
mikey

You think maybe Honeywell had Tony Soprano pay him a visit?

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.