New house system recomendation

Napco can be a little overwhelming when it comes to programming... That's why I use their Software to program a panel instead of trying to keypad program it... Quickloader makes programming a snap, either via phone line, or by directly plugging into the main board (P816 and up)... The main drawback, it would be very expensive for a company to equip all of their vans with laptops... I think Napco should come out with a cheap handheld programmer that ties into the databus (or plugs into the main board), more companies would use the Napco product line if they did that... Caddx used to have a handheld programmer for some of their older panels... I think it was their 8980 and 9000 series panels, they allowed an installer to program via download, keypad, or via the handheld programmer... Just my 1/2 cent :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill
Loading thread data ...

Thank you Russ! The Quickloader Software is a lot better than by hand. Quickloader does MA3000's too. (BUT WHY?)LOL BTW Caddx still has a handheld type device and I believe ITI too. WAs a Serial Port Deal but now is USB. Its not a programmer per se, but you can dump 4 programms from your PC to it and then download from it on site to the panel without a laptop.

"Look at Napco's market share and you'll see most other companies feel the same way" Mark, take a look at Napco's recent profit percentages- they're way up- higher than you surmise. They're in the Top 10 Companies on Long Island.

"The damn things come with 3 manuals for crying out loud." That would assume your are capable of reading them. Many of us can.

"GE is by far the easiest and Ademco a close second." There are a few of us who feel the same about Ademco as you do about Napco... Let's see- clunky keypads..... who stole the Linear Stuff for wireless......Programming Wireless devices: what a fiasco! Power-up Speed..... SNAIL is Faster......Compass Software......How SLOOOWWWWW can u go!

Reply to
secure15

1000/1008/1016,

Exactly, my point is it should be fairly simple to use both programming methods

The main

I don't see the point tho when you can program it with the keypad, a programmer won't really be an advantage

All of their old panels except the 8800 could be programmed that way however I did quite a number of them and the only advantage the programmer got me was getting around installer codes, once I knew what it was it was far easier just to use the keypad to program instead of the programmer

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Profits say nothing about market share, they have less of a market share than the rest because they are difficult to program.

It is after all my opinion, take it for what its worth

True, Ademco has a very slow keypad bus speed unless you are talking about the looks of the keypads

Linear stuff? I believe Napco used Linear for the 1000 series didn't they?, you may be thinking ITI

Umm both brands up almost immediately, you talking about the d1 thing? It can be aborted

You really don't want to compare software speed do you? How long does it take to get an upload with Quickloader? Status? get real! I can program 2 Ademco 250's in the time it takes to do one 9600

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I only use the LCD version keypads. But even then, very VERY seldom do I get a request to silence the chime. For some reason, Mom's always want to know what when the kids get home, regardless of how late it is. But then again, if you're using the other keypads and a customer wants to silence the chime, then it can't be that big a sacrafice to them to have to give up the key beep too. Or ..... you could look at it from the point of view of .......... if they want an additional feature, then they have to pay for the better keypad. It's not like it's entirely not a Napco option.

Reply to
Jim

Those that can program them easily ......... do.

Those that can't ........ just complain about it.

Just as with any other panel ..... if you program a bunch of them ..... after awhile it's easy. If one is too lazy or inept to sit down and learn how to work with the panel they install, until they learn how to do it, then they can opt to use a lesser panel that falls within their ability to program it and be satisfied with fewer choices. To me, it never was an issue if Napco was easy or hard to program. I decided I was going to use their product and therefore I learned how to program them. Whether it was or is considered easy or hard to program just isn't an issue except to people who don't want to take the time to learn how to do it. Once you do, it's good to know that you're using a very or perhaps the most configurable panel available. And if installers complain that Napco keypad programing is difficult, then that means they're not using a laptop and therefore they haven't evolved beyond the Neaderthal level of programing a PROM panel to begin with. They accordingly deserve the panel they're using.

Never use ANY manufacturers new product for the first year it's on the market .......

Let the other guys shake out all the bugs.

Reply to
Jim

Actually Napco is the third most popular panel nationwide, accoding to a pole taken by one of the trades a year or so ago.

Reply to
Jim

Thank You Jim. I could not have stated it better myself. Sorry. lost my bearings- I forgot Marky was programmed via the same Comm Port as BASS to begin with.

Reply to
secure15

True.......

Reply to
Russell Brill

DMP has Tone, Volume, and Brightness controls on their all their LCD keypads....individually customizable - so the MBR keypad can be dim and low volume and the Laundry Rm can be bright and loud. I can even play happy birthday on it while I demo the keypad :-)

| >> > Russell Brill wrote: | >> >> >

| >> >> Modern equivalent (when comparing Quality) to Moose Z1100 = Napco | >> >> P3200 | >> >> w/K1CA keypad... But, it's not easy to program and not quite as | >> >> flexible | >> >> as | >> >> some of the other products available... | >> >

| >> > In my opinion .....the reason Napco is considered by others to be so | >> > hard to program is because it's more flexible than other panels. | >> >

| >> I agree, and disagree.... When it comes to things like customizing zone | >> response Napco panels are GREAT... However, something as simple as | >> disabling | >> (without eliminating key feedback tones) the chime on the master bedroom | >> keypad and allowing the chime to work on all other keypads in the home is | >> elusive to the Napco line... Unless, you make the customer buy their LCD | >> keypads... Don't get me wrong, I like Napco, I use a P3200 in my home... | >> I'm | >> still waiting for the P1664 (USA version)....... Regards, Russ | >

| > I only use the LCD version keypads. But even then, very VERY seldom do | > I get a request to silence the chime. For some reason, Mom's always | > want to know what when the kids get home, regardless of how late it is. | > But then again, if you're using the other keypads and a customer wants | > to silence the chime, then it can't be that big a sacrafice to them to | > have to give up the key beep too. Or ..... you could look at it from | > the point of view of .......... if they want an additional feature, | > then they have to pay for the better keypad. It's not like it's | > entirely not a Napco option. | >

| True....... | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Can you make it say "This is a 44 Mangnum, the most powerful hand gun in the world" "Go ahead, make my day"?

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.