DIY Alarm System Recommendation

I have a hardware/software development background and I am looking for a recommendation for a residential alarm system. I have a three-year- old home with a finished walkout basement. The first floor and basement will be the primary areas to be protected. I will install/ program the system myself. If possible, I would like a system with software hooks to access its functionality from a home automation system in the future. There will be wired and wireless components used with the alarm. I am currently looking at DSC systems but I am unable to make a decision and place an order. Can you provide some feedback based on your experience with alarm systems?

Reply to
binder
Loading thread data ...

If you really want an HA toy look at Napco P9600 or HAI OMNI LT.

I have heard some good things about ELK M1G also, but have not played with it much.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Sir, DSC equipment is easy enough to program; however, like most low and medium level alarm equipment, it is geared more towards "home convenience" than true "home automation". If you are looking at more than interconnecting it with a few simply lighting modules etc (like X10 for example), then look elsewhere. My understanding is there is equipment on the market far more suited to what you describe than DSC equipment. Others may be able to suggest appropriate gear.

DSC is decent enough hardware, but use it for it's intended purpose....security !

RHC

Reply to
tourman

You might want to consider the Napco Gemini P3200 or P9600. Both are hybrid systems which support wired and wireless components. Both also can be connected to a home automation system using a Napco GEM-RS232 kit.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Describe your idea of "home automation"

Reply to
Jim

flushing the terlit at home while doing loops in a 737?

:-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You'll need a really *high* gain antenna to do that.

Reply to
Frank Olson

AT&T 8000

Reply to
mleuck

I tried to think of a funny reply but I was flush out of ideas. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Heh... Good to see you're feelin' better.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Yep. It does simultaneous duty as a bad alarm panel and a bad boat anchor.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

very bad since they float.

Reply to
Bob

I try to keep my sense of humor no matter what. As the nurse rolled my gurney to the operating room two years ago, I saw a plaque on the wall, "Thoracic Unit."

I said in a deep voice, "Welcome... to Thoracic Park." :^)

This year when they prepped me for the pleurodesis surgery the nurse wrote "YES" on the right side of my chest. After she left the room I grabbed the pen. When they lifted the sheets in the OR they say on the left "CAUTION, WIDE TURNS" and at the site of the incision a happy face. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I disagree. Try filing it with cement before tossing it overboard at your next anchorage.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Its making me thinks of the 2 time I went on the operating table wide awake cause I'm allergic to anestesic gas..

(once for removing metal plate in my right arm after the bone got back ok (they discovered I was allergic when they puted the plate in.. and went I got my appedix removed...)

both time the doctor and some nurse were talking about every thing and all and they were very disturbed when I stated answering back...and I was even joking and the last time the doc didnt liked it ;-) He even asked the anestesist to put me back to sleep..

Reply to
Petem

For once you gave a good advice.. too bad it have nothing to do with real alarm job...

Reply to
Petem

It wasn't the jokes, Pete... Its' the French accent.

Reply to
Frank Olson

well they were all speaking french!! dont you think we are able to have educated people here?

Reply to
Petem

I have no doubt that the area on the Canadian map between Ontario and Nova Scotia/New Brunswick has some educated people... Oh... pardon me... those are the moose... What people?... ;-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Binford 9000

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.