Keypads

Hi there,

I have a garage door and a garden door which I want to open and close with the same keypad installed outsidemy garden near the entrance to the garage. I also want to be able to open and close either of them with a remote, and I also want them wired into my video monitoring system inside the home.

The garage door and the garden door will be operated by a motor.

I have some basic questions:

1. Will any keypad work with any video security monitoring/intercom system ? Do they abide by some standard ?
  2. Same with the motors for my garage door and garden door: do the keypads and the motors speak a common language ?
  3. What does "two relay outputs" mean ?
  4. What does "two solid state outputs" mean ?
  5. Can I fit this myself or do I have to have a technician ?
  6. I had a bit of a look around: AKR-1 from Linear sort of seemed to fit the bill. Any thoughts from anyone ? Is there something better ? What is the Rolls-Royce solution ?

I need somethin which is vandal and weather proof as it will be installed outside.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts, recommendations, Tolga

Reply to
neo
Loading thread data ...

inline...

| 2. Same with the motors for my garage door and garden door: do the | keypads and the motors speak a common language ? Most motors speak a common language; on/off. Alarm panels can provide relay control (open/close) but not all. Keypads generally do not speak motor, they speak data to alarm panel, alarm panel speaks to relays relays open/close.

| 3. What does "two relay outputs" mean ? It means that whatever you are talking about has two relay outputs...sometimes this means it includes the relay itself sometimes it means there's a socket to plug a relay into...or something of that nature.

| 4. What does "two solid state outputs" mean ? Sometimes referred to as collector outputs...like relay control but not a actual switch.

| 5. Can I fit this myself or do I have to have a technician ? Judging by your questions....get a tech.

| 6. I had a bit of a look around: AKR-1 from Linear sort of seemed to | fit the bill. Any thoughts from anyone ? Is there something better ? | What is the Rolls-Royce solution ? Dunno..pretty hard to visualize what you are doing by the description given...how will you open a house door with a motor? What alarm system are you connecting this all to...IOW; what exactly are you doing?

| | I need somethin which is vandal and weather proof as it will be | installed outside. Probably, maybe.

What's the budget?..because this probably won't be cheap.

| | Many thanks in advance for any thoughts, recommendations, | Tolga | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Appreciate your responses Crash. Budget is circa $1000. What would you recommend with that budget ?

You ask how will I open the house door: my mistake here, what I mean is, the garden has two entrances, one for a car and one for a normal, human-size door. So, it is not a door to a house, but to a garden.Both of them swing open, one to the left and the other to the right. I am going to have swing-arm motors installed by someone else, hence my questions about keypads speaking the same language as the motors.

Thanks again

Reply to
neo

Another follow-up question: what is a "relay" ? Thanks

Reply to
neo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.