Which alarm panel to buy for home?

Hi,

I'm looking for recommendations as to which panel to install for my house. I'm doing some extensive renos, so running cable to all doors and windows is not a problem. My parents have a Napco system, my sister uses DSC. From my experience with both, I find the DSC is more DIYer-friendly, but my experience also dates back several years, and I no longer am up to speed with the latest and greatest changes that have occured.

I am looking for the "standard" features; multi-zone control, smoke/fire, CO level monitoring. No need for any fancy bells and whistles, although wireless keyfobs and/or remote dial-in access could always be fun to add in the future.

Any suggestions as to which company to start researching? Why choose one over another?

Thanks!

Eric

Reply to
Eric B.
Loading thread data ...

RHC: In case you haven't noticed, no one has responded to your question. The reason is, this is like asking what kind of car to buy !! Every installer and installing company has their favourite panel, and that is the one that they will recommend based on their knowledge of and experience with that particular line of panels. For example (and not recommending one over the other), I use and install DSC but wouldn't know a Napco product if it fell off the shelf and hit me on the head. So of the two, which one would I be more likely to recommend.

Nuff said.......do your research but when you do choose a make and model, try to stay away from wireless stuff !

Reply to
tourman

DSC. =EF=BF=BDFrom my

You might want to note that the above poster has just broken his own rule.

Although he doesn't install wireless and therefore wouldn't have gained the experience necessary to install wireless, he nevertheless advises you to stay away from it based solely on the fact that end users who have it installed by people who don't know how to install it ...... are the ones who have problems with wireless.

I don't install wireless exclusively but I've been installing it since the "better" systems first started to be offered in the late 70's. I can install a wireless system that doesn't have any more problems than a wired system ..... because I know how. Wireless is seemingly easy to install to the inexperienced but it's what you don't know that will get you. There are protocols and procedures that must be followed to insure that the signals are being transmitted and received properly within the protected area. However ........... if you CAN avoid using wireless, it is adviseable that you do so. Reasons being that the technical learning curve to do a trouble free wireless system can be difficult as compared to learning the physical methods of doing a wired system. The greatest problem with wireless, even after it's installed properly is the changing of the batteries periodically and the cost of the batteries. Other than that, a wireless system is completely transparent. In other words you wouldn't know you had a wireless system except for the battery issue ..... and of course, the visability of the transmitters on the doors and windows. But ...... ya don't have to run the wires throughout the house. That's the REAL payoff.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.