Girsh Alarm in Philly, PA lousy treatment of potential employee

In late October I was looking around on Monster.com at which time I came across Girsh Alarm Company, a local Philadlephia company serving mostly commercial accounts and offering potential earnings of 75-100k per year.

I knew Girsh from passing their offices in my travels. At the time I was employed by another security company which catered to mostly residential customers. My work experience has been predominantly with commercial Fortune 500 companies so I jumped at the chance to apply.

I was quickly contacted by their headhunter/recruiter who asked for my resume, references and information for a background check. Everything cleared and I was asked to meet face to face in early November. At the initial meeting with the headhunter I was asked to take several personality and aptitude tests. I was also informed that the position carried a draw of $52k along with a $500 car allowance, $100 cell phone allowance and full health insurance for my family totaling approximately a $65k compensation package. I was also told the commission rate would be 40% of the profit for each sale. After the face to face meeting with the headhunter I was set to meet with Harry Girsh, the owner of Girsh Alarm.

Harry and I met mid-November and the meeting went fine. I was told I had very high scores on the personality and aptitude tests. We reiterated the $65k compensation package and he told me he would get back to me in a few days and left for vacation in Florida. The headhunter said that whoever is chosen to work there will start in early December. The headhunter also said that Harry was going to hire three people and that there were 6 candidates though he felt I was the best fit for Girsh. Before I left Harry requested that I fill out another entire employment application of Girsh's design and submit to a further background check.

I got a call from the headhunter the first week of December at which time he told me that I had again passed the background check and that I was being offered the job. He also said I was the only one offered a position which made me feel great.

I reconfirmed that I actually had the position and got a start date of December 14th. I gave notice to my current employer the next day. December 14th came & went with no further movement toward my employment at Girsh. I waited patiently.

The headhunter began to get frustrated with Girsh and their lack of communication. Finally, I was told to meet with Jodie Girsh, Harry's wife and office manager on Monday December 26th, a national holiday. I met with Jodie and I felt the meeting went great. We talked for an hour, laughed a lot and she introduced me to all the employees as their new salesman.

Then we discussed the contract. It seemed that Jodie's idea of the compensation package was extremely different then what was discussed with Harry and the headhunter. She offered a $30k draw, itemized car miles, cell phone allowance and no health insurance for six months. This was not even close to what had been discussed prior.

I stood my ground at what I was offered, expressed dismay that I left my previous employment and was not yet being paid by Girsh although I was told I had the job. Jodie said me she would have to talk it over with Harry and that we would talk the following morning.

Tuesday the 27th I called Jodie 11AM at the office and per her instructions. She did not answer and I left a voicemail. I tried again at 3PM on her cell phone again leaving a voicemail. The headhunter did not hear from her or Harry either.

By Wednesday morning I wondered if I had a job at all and called the headhunter. I was told at that time the Girsh's were no longer interested as they felt it was too much money to risk on a new salesman.

The headhunter and I tried to salvage the situation to no avail. Jodie never did call me back though I did manage to get Harry Girsh on his cell at 7PM, Wednesday the 28th.

Harry reiterated that my employment there was no longer an option. He said they were no longer going to invest in a professional salesman and were considering hiring someone out of college at a much lower rate.

I pointed out that they were going to hire three people and ended up with only me. How could they have possibly paid three people if they couldn't even pay me what they promised? In addition, Harry himself noted the $65k when we met face to face and if it was a problem why did they call me back to finalize a contract!

I lost my job, I lost weeks of job hunting and I lost weeks of their promised salary right at the holiday season. My entire family anticipated this new position and we all sacrificed over the last month based on knowing the job was starting.

I can't tell you how Girsh Alarm is toward their clients but I can only imagine how it must be if this is how they treat potential employees...

Reply to
apartmentcade
Loading thread data ...

Dang! What a horrible experience you had. I don't know this company and was surprised to hear they worked with headhunters. Headhunters cost as do all those profile tests you took. Seems really fishy to me. I have a name of a so far good headhunter that is based in CO. All they handle is the security industry. Email me if you would like her info. And good luck to you.

Reply to
Artspirit

Sorry to here what happened but Unfortunately this happens all to often with job interviews what one person quotes and what the job actually pays is different.I would have been suspect right away when such a high figure was quoted for what sounds like a small market company. This has been going on for many years back in 79 i was offered a maintenance job $12.35 hr hospitalization etc at a hospital by the foreman which was good pay back then . But when it came time to sign the forms etc the human resources person told me the job only payed minimum wage which was $2.35 back then i think. I kindly thanked the HR guy for wasting my time and put the hospital on my screw you list .I turned around went 3 blocks down the street and found a job paying $7.35 hr the guidance councelor at the post secondary trade school i was being placed from was upset i did not take the deal at the hospital after all his supposed hard work and when i explained to him what happened they never again reffered graduates to that hospital.Which eventually went out of buisness. lesson learned get it in writting and when they back out on the deal sue the shit out of them.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Some additional thoughts Wonder if this whole thing was not a ID theft scam better check your credit records and make sure some one has not dupped you. also i would conact the pa attorney genrals office and make them awae of this and file a complaint as well with pa labor laws division as well.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

I feel for you. That was a shitty thing to do, especially around the holiday's. More than most likely he didn't want to pay the 10 to 20 percent of your salary commission to the head hunter.

Jack

Reply to
Jackcsg

It was definitely wan not an ID scam. Too many people were involved & the headhunter is looking for something else for me as we speak. I think this is more of a husband and wife team that are just on completely different pages regarding hiring new salespeople. Apparently the husband doesn't have the guts to tell the wife what he agreed with the headhunter...

It's a shame in many ways as I was truly a good fit for them to significantly expand their business. Anyway, thanks for all the kind words everyone. You words, along with my little rant has made me feel a lot better!

Reply to
apartmentcade

Too bad you didn't get the job at Girsh. They are a great company and good people. My buddy works for them. He's making a very nice panny. Let me tell you it was no ID scam nore was it about money. I guess maybe they didn't like you enough of they would have hired you on the spot. You say that you work in sales. You didn't sell them enough on the idea of hiring you. HUH? Get over it!!!! They are a small company. Good thing they didn't invest time in you. Stop your complaining and get over it.

Reply to
AlarmGirl

Sounds like he had an offer of employment, gave his former employer notice, and awaited his promised hire date. They then offered a much lower salary. This is beyond sleazy, and if I were him, I would be looking for a good attorney. A verbal contract is enforceable.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Seems to me like he was on a fishing expedition. He probibly thought that if he got a better offer he could go to his present employer and have him fight for him. I guess it didn't work. Seems to me like it didn't work out and he looking for someone else to blame. His present employer might think of him differently now that they know he is looking for work elsewhere.

Reply to
AlarmGirl

I must have missed that part. Can you explain what led you to that conclusion? js

Reply to
alarman

Hey! I think I missed that as well.

It is very much the norm to interview and accept a new position before you give your resignation letter. We all have the right to go to work where we want and from the sounds of it, a committment was made, salary was lost, and now this guys got to start over.

Sounds like you have been burnt alarmgirl.

gac

Reply to
Artspirit

My job at the time paid commission only and Girsh was offering salary/draw etc. Previously, I had been a high powered salesman for computer related products and software flying all over the US. I decided to take a pay cut and work locally when my son was born a year ago. Girsh offered a nice upgrade from the local residential alarm company I was with and would have put me back in front of Fortune 500 companies - although locally.

Whoever "Alarmgirl" is, probably Jodie Girsh herself, is just blowing smoke to try and cover her... Quite simply, I looked for a new job, was made a hard offer, resigned from my current position and was then shafted by Girsh. The only point Alarmgirl made which is true is that I cannot go back to the previous employer for they will know I want to be elsewhere.

As for my selling myself to Girsh, I am certain that I did. Again, I was made hard offer and then met with Jodie Girsh who took the time to walk me around and introduce me as their new salesman to the entire staff! What would be the purpose of that if they were not hiring me - especially after 3 meetings, 2 aptitude tests, 2 personality tests, 2 background checks, 2+ months of phone calls and a "They want you" call from theg headhunter?

What happened is that Jodie first learned how much Harry and the headhunter proposed to pay when I sat down with her. This threw her for a loop as she was on a completely different page. She then monkey wrenched my employment there. She probably convinced Harry to hire a kid out of college for much less money and ruin any chance of a rapid expansion there.

Either way, I deserved at least a direct phone call back from them to tell me to my face what their intentions were. They said I was hired and then left the planet...

Here is a link to the Monster.com ad for the job. Note it originally said Girsh and now says Confidential under company name. In addition it went from stating $75k-$100k to $50k-$75k.

formatting link
Anyway Alarmgirl, Jodie Girsh, or whoever you are - you should know this story has been posted all over the web on many news groups like this, with the local chamber of commerce, the BBB, philla.gov, rip-offreport.com and many others. Over time whenever people look up Girsh they will find this story though sadly it will never damage you remotely as you did my family.

Reply to
apartmentcade

credit records.

Did Cracker move to Philly from Waco?

Reply to
robertlbass

To few brain cells. Possibly relating to the beer. js

Reply to
alarman

If you had the job, then why does your subject line say: "POTENTIAL EMPLOYEE"?

Reply to
George D. Siegle

Do you know how to read? I had not started there yet! They offered me the job, gave me a start date & then changed the offer!

Reply to
apartmentcade

Oh God! I can't believe that you are still talking about this. Give it up. Seems to me like you have a little too much free time on your hands. I talked to my buddy at Girsh Alarm Company and told him about you and what you were saying here online. Not sure if it would do him any good at work. I am not Jodie Gursh but maybe I should apply and see if I could get the job you were appliying for and see how they treat me. If you feel like you were treated unfairly it is ashame but, when will you shop bashing a company you didn't even work for. Seems to me like you are beating a dead horse. There must have been some comunication problem on both ends. Take some advise from me. It's not worth letting them know that they got the best of you.

Reply to
AlarmGirl

Coincidental that you happen to start posting in the Group at about the same time, from the same city, don'tcha think??

Reply to
Frank Olson

I was thinking the same thing........ Looks like Girsh is on a "Discrediting of a critic" campaign... It doesn't surprise me, ADT does the same crap on some of the Consumer bulletin boards.........

Reply to
Russell Brill

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.