home alarm system?

Where can I find the master code for my home alarm system (DCS-1500)?

I recently purchased a rental property that has a home security system. I want to activate the system but I don?t know the pass code. Isn't there a master programming code that I can use to reset the whole thing? Posted from the Free Home Improvement Forum at

formatting link

Reply to
dallasalarm
Loading thread data ...

Wow, you really did your research before you bought this property, didn't you?

Reply to
Nicko

Unless someone from the company that installed the system is on this forum, there is no way anyone here can know that info. Any decent installer will have changed the defaults.

Besides, without knowing what you are doing, jumping into programming without a guide could get you a system that is worse than useless.

See if there are any stickers on the panel, possibly on any of the doors or windows or maybe a yard sign with the name and number of the servicing company. If you can get in touch with the previous owners maybe they can tell you who to call.

If not, check out the local operators (try to avoid the nationals) with the BBB and and give one of those guys a call.

It won't be free and I'm sure they will try to get you on board with monitoring. But you should actually check out how much the monitoring is against how much it may save you on homeowners insurance - you may find it isn't that expensive in the long run.

A monitored fire system, along with low temperature sensing (in certain areas - check local listings) and strategically placed water detector (water damage is a real mother and insurance companies will usually do whatever they can to avoid paying for it) or two, in a house that will be used by tenets who may not care about the property as much as you do, could be just what you need for piece of mind and perhaps a cut on the insurance (I get 15% from my company).

Reply to
JoeRaisin

There is a method of defaulting the board, but you'll have to reprogram it from scratch and you haven't indicated as to whether you have the programming manual or not. First you have to find out if the board has been "locked". Disconnect the battery and AC transformer (in that order). Wait for 30 seconds and reconnect the AC. If you hear a series of "clicks" from the onboard relay, the board is locked and the only way to access programming is by knowing the installer code. If the relay doesn't click multiple times, you can default the board. The procedure is in the installation manual which you will need to reprogram the system anyway.

The 1500 is ancient technology. You should consider upgrading to a newer system. Stick with DSC if you're considering the DIY route. It's one of the easiest panels to program. Find a friendly local alarm company that's willing to sell you a DSC 1832. You'll need new keypads as well. You can browse DSC's website at

formatting link
You can also purchase the system from any of a number of online stores and dealers.
formatting link
has some valuable tips and a couple of links to online dealers.

Good luck!!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Joe's advice is correct. However, most local (and virtually all national) alarm companies will decline to work on the system unless you sign a multi-year monitoring contract. The terms and prices vary wildly from one provider to the next fir essentially similar services so shop around a bit.

Regarding breaks in homeowner's insurance, the discount is usually nn% of the burglary or fire coverage -- not the whole package. For example, our homeowner's policy costs around $8,000 a year. The 10% discount for an alarm system isn't 10% of $8,000. It's 10% of $800, or $80. Monitoring by any of the local outfits around Sarasota would run about $300 a year. A colleague,

formatting link
charges $12 a month. Net cost is $64 per year.

One thing you need to be especially careful about if you have an alarm company service and/or monitor the system for you is that pesky lockout code (the same one you're having trouble with at present). Most alarm companies use them to make it more difficult / costly for customers to switch service providers. Some will give you the code or default it for you for a price once you pay for nn years of monitoring. Others won't give you the code, even to equipment which you own, no matter what you do.

If you like to tinker you might want to consider buying a control panel and doing the job yourself. It's not particularly difficult though you'll need a modicum of tool skills and a bit of patience to get the hang of it. If that's not your idea of a fun way to spend a Saturday, take Joe's advice and check out a few local alarm dealers. Ask neighbors who they use and how they like the service. Either way, best of luck.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Did you look under the couch?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Hmm. I thought you didn't like posts that aren't helpful, useful and on-topic.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I don't recall asking him anything about motorcycles do you?

Reply to
Mark Leuck

And it just so happens this guy hawks alarm equipment.

In Texas it's 10% and written into legislation, so if you;re paying $2000.00 a year for homeowners, you get a real 10% which is $200.

If you want to f*ck things up, do it yourself but realize that you'll eventually pay.

DSC1500? No parts, no support because it's a bit old, although it's probably a 1550. Still, no parts, no support.

Reply to
Sallie

Have you never posted about recumbent bicycles?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Does it also just so happen you hawk installed systems? Monitoring? I'm just curious.

I'd love to pay only $2,000 per year for homeowner's insurance.

If you *really* want to &*^% things up, vote Republican.

So the gentleman has a 1550. It can be upgraded if need be. However, if he can find a way to get the code he can easily get the manual from Jim Rojas. If not, he has a choice -- go with a professional or DIY. The deciding factors should be his ability or willingness to do it (the work is pretty simple) vs. the simpler solution which is to let someone else do it for him. No big deal either way.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I hawk stuff, but other than changing a battery, I don't suggest people DIY. Most are cheap bastards that piss and moan when they have to eventually pay the going rate for someone to come in and clean up their mess.

Besides, if the guy wound up hitting this newsgroup on recommendation, he doesn't have a DIY clue.

Here's a hint - - why not go to the manufacturer's web site?

Plenty of places that you're not overcharged for insurance.

Unless you're pretty well to do to start off, or you like seeing old motion picture actors, voting republican won't help.

Rojas? I heard he took a managers job with Brinks in Florida! Unfortunately the job won't last. He'll be out when they find out he knows what he's doing and the pay that he won't get equals $25,000.

Reply to
Sallie

I understand. If they DIY they don't have to pay you to do it for them. No problem. I sell direct to DIYers so of course I do suggest that *some* people DIY. Every so often I speak with someone who seems unable to handle the work. When that happens I suggest they hire a pro. That's not to common, mind you. Installing and servicing burglar alarms is fairly simple stuff.

We must be dealing with two different segments of the population. I find that most people interested in DIY do so because they enjoy the challenge. Some are only looking to save money but that's not a bad thing unless they happen to be saving by not paying you, right? :^)

The newsgroup is called ALT.SECURITY.ALARMS. To someone looking for information on security alarms this would seem a logical place to start. However, I prefer they search [blatant plug] -->

formatting link
Here's a hint - - why not go to the manufacturer's web site?

You think the manufacturer will help the gentleman? IME, most alarm cturers refuse to assist end users. They prefer the user go either to an alarm dealer or shop online, as long as the customer buys something without bothering them.

It may have something to do with the value of the home.

Heh, heh, heh. We certainly agree there.

Manager? I never met a Brinks manager. Do they actually supervise stuff?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

So Brinks is letting Jim wash the dishes so to speak?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yea but look at how much you paid for the house...

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Once or twice although if I recall I never carried out a conversation here with it

Reply to
Mark Leuck

You've carried on hundreds of OT conversations. Be honest for once. Your whine had nothing to do with posts being OT.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I don't think I'm the one doing the whining here

Reply to
Mark Leuck

try 1234.

Reply to
Sam

Actually I heard it was ADT, and they agreed to pay him off shore to a numbered Kayman Islands account just to piss of Brinks.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.