GE Allegro

I've seen it mentioned a few times in this group that the 2-piece design of the GE Allegro has the advantage that destruction of the keypad doesn't prevent an alarm signal from being transmitted. The GE Allegro brochure makes this point too. In theory, this sounds nice, as it avoids the cost of a remote keypad.

But looking at how it is implemented, I'm not sure I follow how it accomplishes this. From what I've read, the main keypanel is powered from an AC transformer, and has the connection point for the hardwired zone. It presumably also contains the RF transceiver that is monitoring the sensors.

On the other hand, the dialer (DTIM) is battery powered, and is monitored for failure by the main keypanel every 60 minutes. I didn't see anything suggesting that the DTIM receives triggers from the alarm sensors.

So it seems the only way this would work as described is if the DTIM is programmed to send an alarm notification within seconds of loosing communication with the main keypanel. That seems highly prone to false alarms.

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Metro
Loading thread data ...

The Allegro Key pad has a tamper on the unit.

Reply to
George Siegle

OK, thanks. That makes sense. So then the question is, will the baseball bat kill the controller before the tamper switch is tripped? :-)

Still seems a bit fragile.

-Tom

Reply to
Tom Metro

I think a lot of alarm pros still prefer the alarm panel locked in a metal box hidden from plain view.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.