Cellualr for Fire

I had occasionally been using the TG7F by Telular for fire. Its rated as one of the communication paths for fire as primary or secondary. Unfortunately I have run across a unit that doesn't seem to put enough juice into the dial tone and/or the frequency is off. This means the panel looks for dial tone doesn't see it adequately and has to go through its entire error and anti locking procedure before just trying to dial regardless of line condition. The signal does go out, but it generates a trouble, and of course it takes as much as 3-4 minutes. This is in my opinion a serious problem.

I have sent the bad unit back to Telular, (through the distributor only) and have not gotten it back yet. Its been a while. Of course I had to jump through hoops and play games with Telular before they could ever admit that they might have a bad unit. They tried to blame it on me. On the fire panel (which worked perfectly with a land line) and anything else they could think of before sending me to somebody who to get an RMA only to be told I could not get an RMA, but would have to send the unit back to the distributor. What a pain in the wazoo. I took four phone calls and wasted almost two hours of my time.

Anyway. I am looking for another cellular communicator (if there is one) rated for fire primary or backup. I've got an AHJ breathing down my neck on one site and I'm about ready to tell the customer he will have to order another phone line, refund his money for the cell unit, and just quit using them.

Bob La Londe The Security Consultant

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

DSC GS3060, but the radio still have to be installed above grade and getting good signal strength from the nearby tower.

Reply to
A.J.

I have used Tellular TG-7 for a while and have good luck with them. (As an aside, note they are listed for and, per NFPA 72, can only be used as secondary methods of communication, never primary). Customer service has been decent. Maybe they are having a bad day.

Won't the folks you purchased it from just swap it for a new one?

Cheers jewellfish

Reply to
jewellfish

[snip]

What FACP are you using? There should be an option to dial without tone detection on the n'th attempt.

Reply to
G. Morgan

It does it automatically on about the 4th attempt, but IMO that takes way to long.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.