New GE gear

The GE boys (and girls) showed up this morning. I saw this new touch screen keypad. It looks like the typical touch screen, only it's lots bigger than Honeywell's color version (and costs lots more money too). Seems that GE has this big push for Ecomagination. The alarm panel is going to link up with all this other GE stuff in the house and display it via the keypad. Solar roof, electic panel, HVAC, even GE appliances (water usage monitoring) and all via CAT 5 to a cental brain. It reminds me of something like BACnet, only it works with GE gear only, and is not a common standard platform. GE is getting builders on board with this Ecomagination program to help boost falling housing sales. This could make residential almost worth doing again if it works. Is anyone here in this program yet?

Reply to
Roland Moore
Loading thread data ...

I'd never sign on to any exclusive product program.

This is the same old ploy that manufacturers and marketing groups have used for eons. Exclusivity, dealership programs, marketing programs, same ol shit programs. You get all the jerks who can't market or sell for themselves signing on as if THIS were going to be the road to nirvana and all they wind up with is the majority of them going out of business and the rest installing the product so they can capture their clients.

I'd think that somewhere in time they'd figure all this out and realize that the most successful method, over the long run is an open platform.

Reply to
Jim

You actually think manufactuers are ever going to get it they turn out shit no one wants but they think we want all the time and then they do not understand why they fail.

I'd never sign on to any exclusive product program.

This is the same old ploy that manufacturers and marketing groups have used for eons. Exclusivity, dealership programs, marketing programs, same ol shit programs. You get all the jerks who can't market or sell for themselves signing on as if THIS were going to be the road to nirvana and all they wind up with is the majority of them going out of business and the rest installing the product so they can capture their clients.

I'd think that somewhere in time they'd figure all this out and realize that the most successful method, over the long run is an open platform.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz Jr.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.