DSC Neo

Alarm.com, that's handled by the communicator itself, reprogramming the Neo communicator can send it anywhere else allowing Telguard, Uplink or whatev er

that a number of items be programed to obtain full usage of the capabiliti es of each device. Such as opening and closing signals, user information, t he communicator ID number, and so on. I'm sure there must be some items in the DSC panel that need to be programmed to make the most of the features o f the panel with Alarm dot com. Those would have to be de-programmed. And I 'd have to discover what they all were, de-program them, and then find what programmable items were required and if they were available to make the pa nel compatible with the IBridge.

d it appears it's not much more than a dialer capture cell unit on some Nap co panels and DSC which is why you have to program those fields

think one section section concerning call directions, the communicator does that for you since it is a true bus device

t the communicator would be compatible unless it's dialer capture. Usually when companies specify DSC compatibility they mean older panels like the PC

1555, 5010, 1632 etc not the Neo

ram ANY other DSC panel which might be beneficial in the future but it's yo ur call

consider as being no better than a piece of compressed mud housed in a tin can such as DSC. Cheaply designed and depends highly on end user purchases to remain profitable. Napco has been my choice of equipment for decades. I t has been a reliable and long lasting product. And if it has never (in you r opinion) done anything right in it's long history, the advent and huge su ccess of the Starlink radio Burg and Fire and IBridge Connect has overshado wed most of their competition as of late.

mpares to Alarm.com and AlarmNet or for that matter Telguard although I cou ld be wrong ========================= ==

What is it that you need to see? Buy one and try it out.

========================= =======

, it's laden with dozens of resistors, capacitors, diodes, and 3 voltage re gulators connected to a large thick heat sink 2/3rd the width of the circui t board. It needs that heat sink for all the heat given off those voltage r egulators, and it has 4 OLD STYLE FUSES, all GEM boards are like that, many of those components have to be hand soldered, can't do it with a machine. Having thick circuit boards with lots of components doesn't mean it's bad j ust old outdated tech

10, the Neo can do everything a GEM-P9600 or X255 can do with half the boar d, a fraction of components and far less power requirements, Interlogix Net worX NX and Concord panels are the same

han they need to be and the download software is garbage, they aren't bad p anels but I can find others that do the same thing cheaper and far easier t o program

s I've got DSC panels out in the field for decades, "flimsy" boards don't m atter if they work

=========================

Well, then, I guess it just matters to me.

Stdrong like bull ?. is goout! Yah!

=========================

not be as reliable as you think in the next 5 to 10 years, if you are into

80's and 90's home stereos you will know what I'm talking about

========================= ========================= =====

Yeah, I know what you mean about the electrolytics yet I've got 800 panels, 850's 854's 1016's some close to (if not over) 30 years. I've even got one CCI5 panel still working with an Ademco 693 communicator and an outdoor on /off keyswitch. Had to change the key switch a few years ago and had to rea lly search to find a spring loaded Ace key switch. Customer says as long as it's still working he'll continue using it. I think that one's over 40 years old. 4/2 format and all.

========================= ========================= ==

or what? What's with the Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ra (It's and Irish lullaby) name change then a buy-out ? and now what? another name change? Looks l ike it's trying to hide it's identity or something the way Apex/Vivint did to hide it's past indiscretions. (???)

because we use them I say it because in my opinion they have the best commu nicators out there

========================= ========================= ==

Yet you say you haven't tried the Starlink devices. You'd probably want to take a look at the Starlink Connect with Zwave. As with most Napco items th e programming takes some getting used to but it's for those with a little m ore grey matter. I think the capability is pretty far reaching. For my use, anyway.

Re Buyout: Didn't someone buy out someone? Brinks or something? I know the stock dropped over 90% in 2018. I just thought there might be a problem. Wh ile Napco was one of the few stocks that rose (82%).

As I said, the Starlink has really given Napco a great boost.

========================= =====================

Reply to
Jim Davis
Loading thread data ...

. some of the IBridge features that you can get with the Starlink/IBridge and Napco panels are not available when programmed for a DSC panel. The Starlink/IBridge uses a datalink cable and very few wire connection. Using it with DSC requires all wire connections using trigger and terminal outputs etc which limits the IBridge functions. I haven't studied what would be missing yet which leaves me unable to describe to the homeowner what features they could have.

The basic Starlink model uses a DSC zone input programmed as keywitch arm/disarm to toggle the alarm on/off and a DSC PGM output set as armed status to update the app of the armed status to toggle the alarm on/off with a very simple phone app with a button which changes colour from green to red when armed/disarmed. As rudimentary as the functions are it actually works well for the customer who just wants to turn the alarm on/off or verify its status.

The Starlink Connect model uses data connections between the DSC keypad bus and the DSC local program connector to communicate between the panel & starlink connect.

A virtual keypad on the iBridge app allows you to control the system using most of the functions available on the hardwired keypad and you can also upload/download the DSC using DLS5.

In my experience it can be very slow sometimes updating the armed status on the app. I've stood in front of a keypad and using the app turned the alarm on/off and the system arms immediately however sometimes the display on the app seems to take forever to change.

Doug

Reply to
doug

Thanks, good to know that.

I've noticed some latency sometimes on the basic (red button, green button) unit (only using Napco panels) Not so much with the "Starlink Connect" uni ts. I'm not sure if it's due to product or communication services (Cellular /Internet) issues at any given time. It's not perfect but so far has worked well enough for my clients so that I've not received any complaints.

I think it's commonly acceptable for some latency to occur with most apps a nyway.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.