DSC Neo

Anyone have any experience with the DSC Neo panels?

I've taken over some of the older DSC panels a number of years ago but this product appears to be in quite a different league.

I'm just beginning to do some research on the product but thought I'd check in here first.

One of my customers moved into a new home that is already wired and set up with one of these panels. Looks like a pretty good installation. Has 3 Touc hpad keypads and a couple of zone expanders. I don't know if it's using cel lular or landline yet. The system is all set up and programmed except for t he central station info. I have the installer code and what little I've see n of the programming it looks like it would take some time to learn the lit tle nuisances for keypad programming. I'm tempted to take it over but I don 't want to put myself in the position of having my customer have a problem, and me not being able to trouble shoot it for lack of experience and knowl edge about the product. Even though they've been with me for over 18 years, I'd rather lose them then not be able to give them good service.

I'd just replace everything with Napco if there weren't 3 touchpads. Does anyone know if there is a DSC equivalent to the Napco Quickloader prog ram? And if there is any qualification necessary to obtain a copy of it. A downl oader program makes it so much easier to understand the programming versus a keypad programming sheet.

Reply to
Jim Davis
Loading thread data ...

a link to some information about the PC Link for DSC connections

formatting link

Reply to
RTS

is product appears to be in quite a different league.

ck in here first.

p with one of these panels. Looks like a pretty good installation. Has 3 To uchpad keypads and a couple of zone expanders. I don't know if it's using c ellular or landline yet. The system is all set up and programmed except for the central station info. I have the installer code and what little I've s een of the programming it looks like it would take some time to learn the l ittle nuisances for keypad programming. I'm tempted to take it over but I d on't want to put myself in the position of having my customer have a proble m, and me not being able to trouble shoot it for lack of experience and kno wledge about the product. Even though they've been with me for over 18 year s, I'd rather lose them then not be able to give them good service.

nloader program makes it so much easier to understand the programming versu s a keypad programming sheet.

DSC uses DLS-5 for downloading but For something like central station setti ngs it's extremely easy just to program it from the keypad even if you've n ever done it before

Reply to
mleuck

Jim,

I just took over a Neo 2064 with 54 active zones TODAY!! Existing customer as well. What I did first was to purchase a 2032 kit with keypad. DL'd DLS-5 and purchased the USB kit for direct connect.

Played around with the 2032 to get the feel of the programming and set up. There are a few things that are a bit quirky. Thought I had it good enough.

Had customer get the existing company to default the Panel ID Code and Installer code.

Connection was a breeze. Just plug it in, create a new account. Connect and it does all the data transfer.

Then make the changes for receiver number and account. Change the Installer code and Panel ID and send it.

Then disconnect the battery to verify that the panel is communicating and it is. Yea!!

But could not at the time send any burg signals since too many people in the building. Had the custodial staff set alarm tonight and trip some zones. Checked the C/S and NO test signals??????????

CRAP!!! I missed something.

Tune in tomorrow for the next episode.....................

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Section 310 Did you put an account number for System and for partition 1 ( and any other partitions that are in use).

Doug

Reply to
doug

Hi Doug,

BINGO!!! Go to the head of the class.

I went back today and I found that I DID NOT change the account number for the partition. Fixed that and armed the system. All signals good.

Won't make that mistake again. Crap!! Now this new info and forced a old memorable event from my brain. I can't remember what it was and maybe shouldn't care but it is GONE Gone gone..........................

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Yeah, me too.

Every time I learn something new, something old falls out of my brain.

I couldn't swear to it but somehow I have this feeling that the gap between the two is getting smaller and smaller.

Reply to
Jim Davis

this product appears to be in quite a different league.

heck in here first.

up with one of these panels. Looks like a pretty good installation. Has 3 Touchpad keypads and a couple of zone expanders. I don't know if it's using cellular or landline yet. The system is all set up and programmed except f or the central station info. I have the installer code and what little I've seen of the programming it looks like it would take some time to learn the little nuisances for keypad programming. I'm tempted to take it over but I don't want to put myself in the position of having my customer have a prob lem, and me not being able to trouble shoot it for lack of experience and k nowledge about the product. Even though they've been with me for over 18 ye ars, I'd rather lose them then not be able to give them good service.

ownloader program makes it so much easier to understand the programming ver sus a keypad programming sheet.

tings it's extremely easy just to program it from the keypad even if you've never done it before

I took a brief look at the programming manual and that looks pretty straigh t forward. I'm sure there are some little quirks such as Les ran into that I'd have to work my way though but ??? As I said, n ot knowing that much about it, I don't what to put myself or my customer in the position of me not knowing how to cure a issue in the future because o f my lack of knowledge about the intricacies of it's operation. I just don' t feature having to go there a year from now for a service call and have to wait an hour for technical support to answer a simple question. Especially with the touchpads that ? at this point, I know absolutely nothing about.

Also, the previous alarm company told the homeowner that the system was set up for Alarm.com which I have avoided getting involved with and therefore know absolutely nothing about it. The Homeowner did some research and now k nows about what they provide. I've stuck with the Napco Starlink/IBridge. I have yet to attempt to sway them away from Alarm.com. I don't know if ther e is any panel programming that is related to using Alarm.com that I would have to change. I know that the Starlink/IBridge is compatible with DSC but it's not the usual programming that is used with the Napco panels that I'd have to weed through. But ?.. some of the IBridge features that y ou can get with the Starlink/IBridge and Napco panels are not available whe n programmed for a DSC panel. The Starlink/IBridge uses a datalink cable an d very few wire connection. Using it with DSC requires all wire connections using trigger and terminal outputs etc which limits the IBridge functions. I haven't studied what would be missing yet which leaves me unable to desc ribe to the homeowner what features they could have.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Sounds like a good idea. Will probably try that.

B U T F I R S T !!!!!!

I'm taking off early Saturday morning for St Lucia in the Caribbean for 8 d ays. I'll have to see if I remember any of this when I get back. If I don't ment ion it here ??. remind me so I can go back and read this th read to jog (what's left of) my memory.

Hmm Maybe I'd better leave myself a note or something because I'm guessing you'll probably forget it too. Now days ?.. 8 days is a looooong ti me to have to remember something and with my brain cooking in the sun it co uld be a lot shorter. Don't know what kind of Internet service they have do wn there. Maybe I'll check in if I can.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim,

Enjoy St. Lucia!! I am way overdue for a Caribbean vacation. Now I need to work on a plan...................

Have a safe trip.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Hi Jim,

From what I understand from having attended a live DSC information seminar on the new DSC Neo back some years ago when Neo was just about to come out, is that Alarm.com purchased the rights from DSC to have access to their ke ybus. They have locked that out to other communicator companies.

It was then decided that we would not be using that system ever, since we h ad already started using IPDatatel communicators already. The old DSC 1616, 1832, 1864, are all still readily available; and the keybus is also open.

Of course, you can use any communicator that uses tip/ring and key-switch z one, but I am sure that you already know that. There is a really small " MN

01-4G " radio available that does not even depend on any access to changing the telco number or account number in the panel, as the radio is programme d to connect to the central station number even though the panel is dialing another. And as well, the account number that may be in the panel, is also irrelevant as the radio is assigned an account number by the central. Addi tionally, there is an app for the system called RControl that will make any system controllable by your customer's cellphone.

I started out learning on DSC and have always liked them. I suppose that on ce you understand and learn on one type of panel and go to another, the oth ers may seem quirky. Even though I have experience with Honeywell, Napco, N etworx, Moose, Concord, DSC, and others, I still prefer DSC.

The DSC PTK5507 Touch Screen for the PC 1616, 1832, & 1864, has the same ap pearance as the DSC HS2TCHP NEO Touch Screen Keypad. So if you wanted an op en keybus, you could switch out the equipment without even your customer kn owing about it, and just your wallet would know.

Hope you have/had a good vacation!

Reply to
Hogan

r on the new DSC Neo back some years ago when Neo was just about to come ou t, is that Alarm.com purchased the rights from DSC to have access to their keybus. They have locked that out to other communicator companies.

had already started using IPDatatel communicators already. The old DSC 161

6, 1832, 1864, are all still readily available; and the keybus is also open .

zone, but I am sure that you already know that. There is a really small " MN01-4G " radio available that does not even depend on any access to changi ng the telco number or account number in the panel, as the radio is program med to connect to the central station number even though the panel is diali ng another. And as well, the account number that may be in the panel, is al so irrelevant as the radio is assigned an account number by the central. Ad ditionally, there is an app for the system called RControl that will make a ny system controllable by your customer's cellphone.

once you understand and learn on one type of panel and go to another, the o thers may seem quirky. Even though I have experience with Honeywell, Napco, Networx, Moose, Concord, DSC, and others, I still prefer DSC.

appearance as the DSC HS2TCHP NEO Touch Screen Keypad. So if you wanted an open keybus, you could switch out the equipment without even your customer knowing about it, and just your wallet would know.

So as I gather ?. what you are saying is Anyone who installs the Neo equipment is essentially locking their customer into using Alarm dot com

Is that correct?

Reply to
Jim Davis

nar on the new DSC Neo back some years ago when Neo was just about to come out, is that Alarm.com purchased the rights from DSC to have access to thei r keybus. They have locked that out to other communicator companies.

we had already started using IPDatatel communicators already. The old DSC 1

616, 1832, 1864, are all still readily available; and the keybus is also op en.

ch zone, but I am sure that you already know that. There is a really small " MN01-4G " radio available that does not even depend on any access to chan ging the telco number or account number in the panel, as the radio is progr ammed to connect to the central station number even though the panel is dia ling another. And as well, the account number that may be in the panel, is also irrelevant as the radio is assigned an account number by the central. Additionally, there is an app for the system called RControl that will make any system controllable by your customer's cellphone.

t once you understand and learn on one type of panel and go to another, the others may seem quirky. Even though I have experience with Honeywell, Napc o, Networx, Moose, Concord, DSC, and others, I still prefer DSC.

e appearance as the DSC HS2TCHP NEO Touch Screen Keypad. So if you wanted a n open keybus, you could switch out the equipment without even your custome r knowing about it, and just your wallet would know.

er into using Alarm dot com

No it's not, while Alarm.com equipment works with Neo DSC also makes commun icators for it although in my opinion they are garbage compared to Alarm.co m, nothing else comes close

But like any other panel you can still install Uplink or Telguard communica tors if all you want to do is report signals.

Reply to
mleuck

minar on the new DSC Neo back some years ago when Neo was just about to com e out, is that Alarm.com purchased the rights from DSC to have access to th eir keybus. They have locked that out to other communicator companies.

e we had already started using IPDatatel communicators already. The old DSC 1616, 1832, 1864, are all still readily available; and the keybus is also open.

itch zone, but I am sure that you already know that. There is a really smal l " MN01-4G " radio available that does not even depend on any access to ch anging the telco number or account number in the panel, as the radio is pro grammed to connect to the central station number even though the panel is d ialing another. And as well, the account number that may be in the panel, i s also irrelevant as the radio is assigned an account number by the central . Additionally, there is an app for the system called RControl that will ma ke any system controllable by your customer's cellphone.

hat once you understand and learn on one type of panel and go to another, t he others may seem quirky. Even though I have experience with Honeywell, Na pco, Networx, Moose, Concord, DSC, and others, I still prefer DSC.

ame appearance as the DSC HS2TCHP NEO Touch Screen Keypad. So if you wanted an open keybus, you could switch out the equipment without even your custo mer knowing about it, and just your wallet would know.

omer into using Alarm dot com

unicators for it although in my opinion they are garbage compared to Alarm. com, nothing else comes close

cators if all you want to do is report signals.

As you know I only install Napco equipment and the Starlink (Napco say's) " works with DSC" But, of course, I'll only ever find out "how well" it works with it when I try to use it. And "trying" something, on the job, with a c ustomers panel is not how I do it. I usually set up a test setup and work w ith the equipment finding out all the little quirks before I'll ever try to make something work on the job. There's nothing like having the customer l ook over your shoulder while you struggle with stupid anomalies and misinfo rmation and lack of information that is typical of all alarm equipment manu facturers.

I'm not interested in just a simple communications report to central. I can do that with a inexpensive $45.00 cellular communicator.

I'll be calling Napco this week to see if I can get some idea of how well ( or not) the Starlink IBridge communicator works with DSC. Me getting involv ed with Alarm dot com for one account, is out of the question. Besides, as I understand it their "agreement" is very one sided and leaves the installe r somewhat vulnerable as compared to the standard alarm/dealer agreements t hat I use. My agreements favor me, not some Ahole company providing me a s ervice that I can get somewhere else without any agreement at all.

Reply to
Jim Davis

municators for it although in my opinion they are garbage compared to Alarm .com, nothing else comes close

er into using Alarm dot com

unicators for it although in my opinion they are garbage compared to Alarm. com, nothing else comes close

Well, as per Mr. Leuck, of course DSC-made communicators would work with DS C-made Neo panels... unless DSC is very aaknoll. And, of course any other p lain communicator can work with Neo & send signals thru Tip & Ring. But, th e DSC's Main Man, at the seminar, specifically used those words, that DSC d id not open their keybus to anyone else, and that it was encrypted. -I also do not have Alls-heim-ers, nor do I see shadows or hear voices in the nigh t.

But, I already figured that you envisioned full interactive communication f or the customer and yourself. That is why we went with IPDatatel in 2012, n ow renamed Alula after an acquisition... and did not entertain any Neo pane ls and certainly even less with Alarm.com because of their desire for contr ol in their agreement. It did not take long for me to surmise this in that lengthy seminar, as I cut out at 'Half-time' break and went back to work.

The only reason that I mentioned IPDatatel/Alula, is because it is total in teractive for the customer as well as the dealer. Just last week I had to l og into a customer's store in order to turn off 2 specific zones because of some internal problems with their system. All I have to do, is log into th e website where all of our accounts are, choose the customer, and a virtual keypad opens up. I then program into it just as if I was onsite. It took n o more than 3-5 minutes and was a lot faster than just getting ready to sta rt the van. Their communicators are fully interactive with Honeywell, DSC, and Networx. Additionally, they are available in wifi/network-wired and wi fi/network-wired/cellular versions. There used to be also just a wired-netw ork version but that was discontinued. They are also LTE cellular.

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, I was extremely busy last week .

Reply to
HOGAN

ommunicators for it although in my opinion they are garbage compared to Ala rm.com, nothing else comes close

nicators if all you want to do is report signals.

omer into using Alarm dot com

mmunicators for it although in my opinion they are garbage compared to Alar m.com, nothing else comes close

nicators if all you want to do is report signals.

DSC-made Neo panels... unless DSC is very aaknoll. And, of course any other plain communicator can work with Neo & send signals thru Tip & Ring. But, the DSC's Main Man, at the seminar, specifically used those words, that DSC did not open their keybus to anyone else, and that it was encrypted. -I al so do not have Alls-heim-ers, nor do I see shadows or hear voices in the ni ght.

for the customer and yourself. That is why we went with IPDatatel in 2012, now renamed Alula after an acquisition... and did not entertain any Neo pa nels and certainly even less with Alarm.com because of their desire for con trol in their agreement. It did not take long for me to surmise this in tha t lengthy seminar, as I cut out at 'Half-time' break and went back to work.

interactive for the customer as well as the dealer. Just last week I had to log into a customer's store in order to turn off 2 specific zones because of some internal problems with their system. All I have to do, is log into the website where all of our accounts are, choose the customer, and a virtu al keypad opens up. I then program into it just as if I was onsite. It took no more than 3-5 minutes and was a lot faster than just getting ready to s tart the van. Their communicators are fully interactive with Honeywell, DS C, and Networx. Additionally, they are available in wifi/network-wired and wifi/network-wired/cellular versions. There used to be also just a wired-ne twork version but that was discontinued. They are also LTE cellular.

Few companies want someone else making communicators for their panels, GE a llowed Alarm.com access to their bus for the Simon and Concord but they rev erse engineered Honeywell.

I've tested iPDatatel and it functions but the interface in my opinion is t oo primitive and they don't go very far with anything else

Just an opinion

Reply to
mleuck

communicators for it although in my opinion they are garbage compared to A larm.com, nothing else comes close

municators if all you want to do is report signals.

stomer into using Alarm dot com

communicators for it although in my opinion they are garbage compared to Al arm.com, nothing else comes close

municators if all you want to do is report signals.

h DSC-made Neo panels... unless DSC is very aaknoll. And, of course any oth er plain communicator can work with Neo & send signals thru Tip & Ring. But , the DSC's Main Man, at the seminar, specifically used those words, that D SC did not open their keybus to anyone else, and that it was encrypted. -I also do not have Alls-heim-ers, nor do I see shadows or hear voices in the night.

on for the customer and yourself. That is why we went with IPDatatel in 201

2, now renamed Alula after an acquisition... and did not entertain any Neo panels and certainly even less with Alarm.com because of their desire for c ontrol in their agreement. It did not take long for me to surmise this in t hat lengthy seminar, as I cut out at 'Half-time' break and went back to wor k.

l interactive for the customer as well as the dealer. Just last week I had to log into a customer's store in order to turn off 2 specific zones becaus e of some internal problems with their system. All I have to do, is log int o the website where all of our accounts are, choose the customer, and a vir tual keypad opens up. I then program into it just as if I was onsite. It to ok no more than 3-5 minutes and was a lot faster than just getting ready to start the van. Their communicators are fully interactive with Honeywell, DSC, and Networx. Additionally, they are available in wifi/network-wired an d wifi/network-wired/cellular versions. There used to be also just a wired- network version but that was discontinued. They are also LTE cellular.

allowed Alarm.com access to their bus for the Simon and Concord but they r everse engineered Honeywell.

too primitive and they don't go very far with anything else

Just a note to everyone:

I ended up giving the account away ? back to the original installer .

Once I found out the system was programmed and set up to communicate with a larm dot com. I considered what I would have to do to de-program it and re- program it to work with the Napco IBridge, And although Napco says it will work with DSC they also throw some "disclaimers" in the installation instru ctions about some of the things that can't be done and that some of the fun ctions that can be attained when using Napco panels can't be used with DSC panels.

Rather than having to take the time to learn the programming, the differenc es and quirks associated with DSC and the integration of the IBridge ? ?????. just for this one job ?? . I determined it was not worth all the time and effort. And anyway, 6 mont hs from now, if I had to make some changes or do some troubleshooting I wou ldn't remember half of what I would have had to learn to take over the job and I'd have to put in MORE time just to make a few bucks a month.

I hate to lose a long time client but it's jus not worth the time, effort a nd expense.

However, I did get the new owner of their old home .. so I really didn't lo se an account.

Just didn't gain a new one.

Thanks for the input though.

Reply to
Jim Davis

s communicators for it although in my opinion they are garbage compared to Alarm.com, nothing else comes close

ommunicators if all you want to do is report signals.

customer into using Alarm dot com

s communicators for it although in my opinion they are garbage compared to Alarm.com, nothing else comes close

ommunicators if all you want to do is report signals.

ith DSC-made Neo panels... unless DSC is very aaknoll. And, of course any o ther plain communicator can work with Neo & send signals thru Tip & Ring. B ut, the DSC's Main Man, at the seminar, specifically used those words, that DSC did not open their keybus to anyone else, and that it was encrypted. - I also do not have Alls-heim-ers, nor do I see shadows or hear voices in th e night.

tion for the customer and yourself. That is why we went with IPDatatel in 2

012, now renamed Alula after an acquisition... and did not entertain any Ne o panels and certainly even less with Alarm.com because of their desire for control in their agreement. It did not take long for me to surmise this in that lengthy seminar, as I cut out at 'Half-time' break and went back to w ork.

tal interactive for the customer as well as the dealer. Just last week I ha d to log into a customer's store in order to turn off 2 specific zones beca use of some internal problems with their system. All I have to do, is log i nto the website where all of our accounts are, choose the customer, and a v irtual keypad opens up. I then program into it just as if I was onsite. It took no more than 3-5 minutes and was a lot faster than just getting ready to start the van. Their communicators are fully interactive with Honeywell , DSC, and Networx. Additionally, they are available in wifi/network-wired and wifi/network-wired/cellular versions. There used to be also just a wire d-network version but that was discontinued. They are also LTE cellular.

GE allowed Alarm.com access to their bus for the Simon and Concord but they reverse engineered Honeywell.

is too primitive and they don't go very far with anything else

alarm dot com. I considered what I would have to do to de-program it and r e-program it to work with the Napco IBridge, And although Napco says it wil l work with DSC they also throw some "disclaimers" in the installation inst ructions about some of the things that can't be done and that some of the f unctions that can be attained when using Napco panels can't be used with DS C panels.

nces and quirks associated with DSC and the integration of the IBridge ? ?????. just for this one job ?? . I determined it was not worth all the time and effort. And anyway, 6 mont hs from now, if I had to make some changes or do some troubleshooting I wou ldn't remember half of what I would have had to learn to take over the job and I'd have to put in MORE time just to make a few bucks a month.

and expense.

lose an account.

1. It may have an Alarm.com communicator but it isn't programmed for Alarm. com, that's handled by the communicator itself, reprogramming the Neo commu nicator can send it anywhere else allowing Telguard, Uplink or whatever
  2. Unless you told IpDatatel you were dealing with a Neo panel I doubt the communicator would be compatible unless it's dialer capture. Usually when c ompanies specify DSC compatibility they mean older panels like the PC1555,
5010, 1632 etc not the Neo

1. Had you tackled the Neo you open yourself up to being able to program AN Y other DSC panel which might be beneficial in the future but it's your cal l

Reply to
mleuck

, GE allowed Alarm.com access to their bus for the Simon and Concord but th ey reverse engineered Honeywell.

n is too primitive and they don't go very far with anything else

th alarm dot com. I considered what I would have to do to de-program it and re-program it to work with the Napco IBridge, And although Napco says it w ill work with DSC they also throw some "disclaimers" in the installation in structions about some of the things that can't be done and that some of the functions that can be attained when using Napco panels can't be used with DSC panels.

rences and quirks associated with DSC and the integration of the IBridge ????. just for this one job ?? ?. I determined it was not worth all the time and effort. And anyway, 6 m onths from now, if I had to make some changes or do some troubleshooting I wouldn't remember half of what I would have had to learn to take over the j ob and I'd have to put in MORE time just to make a few bucks a month.

rt and expense.

t lose an account.

m.com, that's handled by the communicator itself, reprogramming the Neo com municator can send it anywhere else allowing Telguard, Uplink or whatever

To make the Napco control panel compatable with the IBridge it requires tha t a number of items be programed to obtain full usage of the capabilities o f each device. Such as opening and closing signals, user information, the c ommunicator ID number, and so on. I'm sure there must be some items in the DSC panel that need to be programmed to make the most of the features of th e panel with Alarm dot com. Those would have to be de-programmed. And I'd h ave to discover what they all were, de-program them, and then find what pro grammable items were required and if they were available to make the panel compatible with the IBridge.

e communicator would be compatible unless it's dialer capture. Usually when companies specify DSC compatibility they mean older panels like the PC1555 , 5010, 1632 etc not the Neo

I don't use IPDatatel

ANY other DSC panel which might be beneficial in the future but it's your c all

That's an important point as I would NEVER actually install a product I con sider as being no better than a piece of compressed mud housed in a tin can such as DSC. Cheaply designed and depends highly on end user purchases to remain profitable. Napco has been my choice of equipment for decades. It ha s been a reliable and long lasting product. And if it has never (in your op inion) done anything right in it's long history, the advent and huge succes s of the Starlink radio Burg and Fire and IBridge Connect has overshadowed most of their competition as of late.

Also, what the hell is going on with Monotronics? Has it lost it's way or w hat? What's with the Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ra (It's and Irish lullaby) name cha nge then a buy-out ? and now what? another name change? Looks like it's trying to hide it's identity or something the way Apex/Vivint did to h ide it's past indiscretions. (???)

Reply to
Jim Davis

arm.com, that's handled by the communicator itself, reprogramming the Neo c ommunicator can send it anywhere else allowing Telguard, Uplink or whatever

hat a number of items be programed to obtain full usage of the capabilities of each device. Such as opening and closing signals, user information, the communicator ID number, and so on. I'm sure there must be some items in th e DSC panel that need to be programmed to make the most of the features of the panel with Alarm dot com. Those would have to be de-programmed. And I'd have to discover what they all were, de-program them, and then find what p rogrammable items were required and if they were available to make the pane l compatible with the IBridge.

While I am not familiar with Starlink I've gone over the documentation and it appears it's not much more than a dialer capture cell unit on some Napco panels and DSC which is why you have to program those fields

You only have to make minor changes with DSC like the phone number and I th ink one section section concerning call directions, the communicator does t hat for you since it is a true bus device

the communicator would be compatible unless it's dialer capture. Usually wh en companies specify DSC compatibility they mean older panels like the PC15

55, 5010, 1632 etc not the Neo

Sorry wrong guy

m ANY other DSC panel which might be beneficial in the future but it's your call

onsider as being no better than a piece of compressed mud housed in a tin c an such as DSC. Cheaply designed and depends highly on end user purchases t o remain profitable. Napco has been my choice of equipment for decades. It has been a reliable and long lasting product. And if it has never (in your opinion) done anything right in it's long history, the advent and huge succ ess of the Starlink radio Burg and Fire and IBridge Connect has overshadowe d most of their competition as of late.

I would love to see what the installed base of Starlink is, I doubt it comp ares to Alarm.com and AlarmNet or for that matter Telguard although I could be wrong

As far as circuit boards it doesn't have to be stout

Give you an example, you of course know what a GEM-P9600 board looks like, it's laden with dozens of resistors, capacitors, diodes, and 3 voltage regu lators connected to a large thick heat sink 2/3rd the width of the circuit board. It needs that heat sink for all the heat given off those voltage reg ulators, and it has 4 OLD STYLE FUSES, all GEM boards are like that, many o f those components have to be hand soldered, can't do it with a machine. Ha ving thick circuit boards with lots of components doesn't mean it's bad jus t old outdated tech

DSC integrated most of that 25 years ago when they came out with the PC5010 , the Neo can do everything a GEM-P9600 or X255 can do with half the board, a fraction of components and far less power requirements, Interlogix Netwo rX NX and Concord panels are the same

I don't dislike Napco, I do find their panels more difficult to program tha n they need to be and the download software is garbage, they aren't bad pan els but I can find others that do the same thing cheaper and far easier to program

As far as reliability you've got Napco panels out in the field for decades I've got DSC panels out in the field for decades, "flimsy" boards don't mat ter if they work

BTW I hope those aren't electrolytic capacitors or your older boards may no t be as reliable as you think in the next 5 to 10 years, if you are into 80 's and 90's home stereos you will know what I'm talking about

what? What's with the Too Ra Loo Ra Loo Ra (It's and Irish lullaby) name c hange then a buy-out ? and now what? another name change? Looks lik e it's trying to hide it's identity or something the way Apex/Vivint did to hide it's past indiscretions. (???)

buy-out? Um nope and not hiding anything we've got well over a million acco unts

Btw most of them with Alarm.com, I don't say good things about Alarm.com be cause we use them I say it because in my opinion they have the best communi cators out there

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.