GEM-RP1CAe2 Keypad: Compat# Error (2022 Update)

My home security system uses the Napco Gemini GEM-P1632 control panel and two GEM-RP1CAe2 keypads. I was getting a "low battery" message for a day or two. Then, I got an "Out of System" message on both keypads and neither one would work (i.e. pushing buttons would beep but had no effect on the system and the display did not change). I entered the configuration mode in keypad 02 and as I cycled through the options I mistakenly entered "02" at the "compatibility number" function instead of the "keypad address" function (there was no compatibility number set originally). Ultimately, it had no obvious effect on the system and the "Out of System" error persisted.

As I continued to trouble shoot, I disconnected the battery and things went back to normal, for the most part. Keypad 01 is functioning normally, but it is displaying "E02-00 SERVICE" (low battery error) and "E10-02 SERVICE" (Keypad response failure). Keypad 02 is displaying "02 compat# error" and it is unresponsive in that the buttons beep when pushed but have no effect. I have tried to enter the configuration mode as I did before (11123 "function") but it has no effect. I figure I goofed it up when entered a compatibility number the first time around, but now I can't get into configuration mode to try to fix it. I would appreciate any advice on how to fix my goof up.

Thanks

John

Reply to
johnrc22
Loading thread data ...

Dear John, (always wanted to type that)

I am not a Gemini expert by any stretch of imagination but, I would say you should be spending a few required dollar$$$ on a NEW battery before you start playing around in programming in an attempt stop the panel from telling you the problem.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Reply to
ABLE1

Able1,

You're certainly right about that. Actually, I didn't start playing around with programming until I got the "out of system" error on both keypads and they stopped responding to any inputs. Still not the right move, obviously.

The question is what can I do now to get into programming on my keypad that is stuck on "compat# error" and is unresponsive?

Thanks

Reply to
johnrcurry

replying to johnrcurry , johnrc22 wrote: To close the loop on this. . .

I was able to get back into programming on the keypad by disconnecting then reconnecting the power to the keypad. Once I did that I was back to "out of system" from which I could enter programming, and replace the mistakenly set compatibility number with the correct one. Now all is well.

Reply to
johnrc22

Again NOT a expert on the Gemini in any shape or form.

Good move on replacing the battery. Great start, or finish.........

The only word of wisdom that might even conjure up would be to do a power cycle on the panel. Failing that I got's no clue.

Good luck!!!

Reply to
ABLE1

Doing a power cycle on the panel did the trick. Once I did that I was able to enter the programming mode and remove the offending compatibility number. Now all is well. Thanks for your help.

John

Reply to
johnrc22

Well Ok then. I will now add to my resume'.

ABLE1 = OVER THE TOP EXPERT GEMINI TECHNICIAN.

Yea, that will help with the bottom line.

Reply to
ABLE1

Good job Les. Sorry, I crashed my play computer a couple weeks ago and have been off Usenet until a few minutes ago. A trick I learned a long time ago for quick and dirty KP swaps and preconfiguration is to connect power to a battery and configure the keypad before installing. Its also a good way to make sure panel operation isn't knocking things out of whack. Disconnect from panel, powerup, configure.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob,

Welcome back or something. Didn't know you were in a black hole. :-)

Never thought about the keypad trick. Don't do much programming from the keypad. Almost always use laptop. Only do keypad stuff to take a zone out or check history on site.

Maybe someday when the thought pops in my head and I am setting up a NX system I will see if it works. My only question is how do you get into programming the keypad when the Installer Code is in the panel and not the keypad?? If the keypad is not connected to the panel how do you do that??

Maybe I will at least try it on Monday?? I have to swap out 7 devices on a NX8e. Very way out there on another planet issue.

Something (possible 7 devices on Data Buss) is locking up the processor. Customer goes in, no response from keypad for delay, no response from keypad presses. Only thing that will clear it are a power cycle. Then all is normal, like it never happened. Nothing in history. Everything works just great.

Has happened just three times in the past 2 months. System has been installed for over two years. First two times were a week apart, then good for over a month. No, power surge or spike that can be reported. Good for weeks and then nothing. It would take me years of troubleshooting to separate and isolate the problem device so a full swap of all 7 devices will make the problem hopefully go away. Hoping my Monday (scary thoughts just happened) will go well.

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

RP1CAe2 keypad configuration is held in the keypad and uses the keypad config code. It does not use the master code or the dealer code. Keypad address, zone expander address, some keypad sounds, compatibility number. Had a cusotmer screw themselves all up a few years ago because they had a flaky keypad and didn't want to pay for a service call. They swapped keypads and zones were whack. LOL. Had constant issues until they finally sprung for a service call and a new keypad.

I was a total Richard Cranium about it too.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have the same problem exactly. However. Unplugging that keypad and plugging it back in is not changing it back to out of system. That one keypad will not respond at all.

Reply to
tony

Tony,

Since you are responding to a seven(7) year old solution maybe the answer to your issue was typed then.

As for now with minimal supplied info it would only be a total guess.

BTW you can buy "New" keypads on eBay!!

Good Luck!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

The two most common issues that cause out of system on a previously working RPC1CAe2 keypad are.

1. Dead panel that still provides enough juice to power keypads. Usually a dead/low/bad battery pulling down the system. Can also be AC fail and slow death of battery.
  2. Damaged wiring connection on data lead. (Yellow green at keypad). Most often a bad splice at the keypad, but can be wires that compressed over time at the barrier strip on the panel.
  3. Less often is "somebody" monkeying with "in keypad" keypad programming as the original OP did in this thread seven years ago.

OTHER:

X. I never had this issue, but I have heard of "new" keypad not programmed properly that a customer bought off ebay.

Y. I did one have a customer move keypads around so that the programming no longer matched the zone expansion modules numbers in the keypads.

Note: "In keypad" programming is stored in the keypad and is most easily programmed manually at the keypad. I'm not sure if keypad configuration can even be done any other way. I would usually pre-program the keypad by hooking the power leads to a battery before installing it.

Dang. I can still be useful... maybe.

When I would run a service call like this I'd check CS log if monitored. If not monitored I'd check transformer power and battery before doing anything else. Most often all it needed was a new battery.

Once Dr McEvil overloaded the power grid testing his cold laser.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.