My alarm company has billed me before doing anything

I contracted with a local alarm company in December. The day after the contract was signed, I called the salesman and asked to have two sensors removed from the contract. We agreed that I would go to the same local electronic supply house (where I have shopped for years) and buy some additional sensors and then do the pre-wiring myself. The salesman agreed and we reduced the contract charges by about $300 and agreed that they would install a DSC Kit, the QP6-3-433, and that I would go ahead and pull the electrical and phone connections to the point where the box and panel were to be installed.

I subsequently realized I didn't have time to do the work right away and called and spoke with one of the company's owners and asked him to wait until I had time to do the pre-wire and purchasing of the extra sensors and boards I want to ad. He agreed with no hesitation and even offered to buy anything I wanted and bill me at his cost.

Since that conversation a month ago, I visited the electronics house and picked up pointers on a different kit that would be better for what I want. I also obtained the price for thie kit that is on my contract.

To this date, the alarm company has done nothing more than have a salesman spend a coouple of hours selling me the system and writing a contract. They admit they have not bought any items for my job and they have not done anything except talk with me.

Friday, I received an invoice, marked 90 Days Past Due, for the full, original contract cost, plus a full charge for a quarter's monitoring

-- of a system that has never been installed. Despite the 80 Days Past Due, they've never invoiced me before.

As alarm systems professionals, what would you do if you were in my place?

Options:

Call the owner again and ask him to explain the invoice. If he is at the least uncooperative, advise him that I want to cancel the contract because of the poor customer service and ask for all of my $300 deposit back -- except for a $50 deduction to pay the salesman's commission.

Refer matter to state alarm company licensing bureau and ask them to investigate the matter.

In addition to referring it to the state authorities, contact the local BBB and register a complaint about the company's business practices.

Make no contact with the company or the state and file a small claims court action to get my entire $300 back and then cancel the order.

I suspect that somewhere, in this group, there are dealers and salesman who have been on the other side of this situation -- and maybe a consumer or two that has been in my situatin. I'd like to read ideas from both sides of the equation.

Thanks,

DCAlarms2007

Reply to
dcalarms
Loading thread data ...

Where do you people come from? js

Reply to
alarman

This sounds like someone entered the contract into the alarm company's accounting system at the time the sale was made. This would be common practice. What was uncommon was your decision to provide part of the labor and materials. This was followed by a delay at your request. That's also not common. I'd be willing to bet that the alarm company doesn't have a routine method of handling this situation.

Why not just give them a call and explain what has happened? Unless something is very wrong they'll correct it right away.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Sheesh...why not over react.

Obviously, the billling department entered you as an active completed job..just call them and explain you've not even been installed yet. Once the contract is signed the salesperson probably puts in for his commission, so they think you're finished. Pretty rare for a alarm company to let the homeowner do sweat-equity anyway.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I can tell you that won't happen many places (unless you own a big chain of something and your home is a one off favor). Most companies don't do this sort of work for the practice, it is for the money after all. But you have pointed to a good lesson. Even after the alarm company bends over backwards to help you out, at the first mistake the customer is going to forget all that and grow teeth and claws.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Thanks for the feedback.

In regard to it being unusual that a company would allow the customer to either buy additional components or do the prewiring, that may be true. I did spend twenty two years as a tech agent for a Federal agency and wired everything from mail boxes to hotel rooms -- remember the great video of DC Mayor Marion Berry? I also recently worked with a corporate alarm installation team and helped install a plant security system that had about two dozen areas with over a hundred zones in each protected area. That work involved almost all DSC equipment. I also had previously explored a DIY approach to doing the whole home system myself and then contracting with a local monitor. They come in and perform a complete system check and correct any wiring or programming issues. All of this was discussed with the salesman and he suggested that I could do some of the work myself to save a few bucks on the total cost.

As far as wanted to "grow fangs" and go after my dealer, not really. I spent a few years in the installed home improvement business and I may have mislead you by not arranging the options from the most simple to the most drastic. Besides, before I contracted with the company, I had already checked them out with the state alarm company licensing office. They're okay or I would not have asked them to come out.

I will call the owner today and work it out. The plan we agreed to includes them doing the actual sensor connections and programming. As much as I think I might know, I also know it will be easier if they can come in and work without having to crawl around in my attic and run wires through walls and ceilings. I can do the electric and telephone and get it to the point where they need it.

All in all, it'll be okay. I do think the billing is an error. I still wonder why the billing is for the full amount and not the reduced amount that we agreed to.

On a related topic, I think I want to be able to "test" my system while on the phone with the monitoring point. To do that, I do not want the outside strobes and sirens to sound. Looking at the wiring diagrams for these devices, I think I can install a key switch in the box and turn them off during the test. I did ask the electronic supply house techies and they said they thought it would be okay. I asked if I would need to jump the switch with a terminating resistor (EOL) and they think not. If someone has done this on a DSC-style system, I'd appreciate the feedback.

This is a good group for getting feedback. The mix of posters runs from calm and reasoning to flaming and blaming. All of the active posters seem to know the business and usually take the time to provide good feedback or reasonable opinions. My original post was an effort to get the array of possible options. Look at the replies. I think I got what I wanted.

Thanks again.

dcalarms

Reply to
dcalarms

I wasn't trying to imply that you were not capable of doing the job. The point was that your situation is so out of the ordinary that your alarm company's accounting office probably doesn't have a standard method of handling the situation. It is likely that they simply made a mistake. I suggest you contact them, let them know of the error and give them the opportunity to straighten it out.

FWIW, most folks in this newsgroup know that I'm not an ardent supporter of alarm companies. I just happen to feel that this was probably an innocent mistake.

That was decent of him. You've been treated well up until this accounting error.

That was someone else's characterization. I figure you're just an average consumer who's rightfully miffed at getting this bill.

Excellent. Please let us know how things get resolved. I'm betting they'll correct it right away.

That's an apt description of Usenet itself. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Let's see now ........ The purpose of a test is ...... ummmmmm to test your system?

If you don't leave the outdoor siren and strobe on, how will you know if they're working? Hmmmmmmm?

Unless, of course, you intend to test every door and window, everytime you test the system. Then the keyswitch would probably be a good idea.

I usually suggest that my clients open a few different openings each time they test their system. This way the siren isn't going for longer than a few minutes, each time.

Reply to
Jim

Generally I'll test a audible panic...which tells me the siren is working and tests the CS. Then I'm done making noise. I put the watchtone/chime or whatever and check all the windows/doors that way...same for the pirs and gbs (I'll break a window or two just to make sure).

Let's see now ........ The purpose of a test is ...... ummmmmm to test your system?

If you don't leave the outdoor siren and strobe on, how will you know if they're working? Hmmmmmmm?

Unless, of course, you intend to test every door and window, everytime you test the system. Then the keyswitch would probably be a good idea.

I usually suggest that my clients open a few different openings each time they test their system. This way the siren isn't going for longer than a few minutes, each time.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Well it can't be anything in the DSC Power Series because they only go to 64 zones so with a hundred it had to be DSC MAXSYS. That panel would be my last pick for a large system. It takes about 45 minutes for a full upload and another 45 minutes for a full download. There are many other reasons not to use it, especially if you have to use the analog loop. In our area we can't use it anyway since it isn't CP-01.

Next time look into other panels like Bosch, DMP, or last choice Vista 250. If you worked in a Federal Government agency you'll know they accept these panels I mentioned above but NOT DSC. There is a reason.

If you don't have a resistor (just open on bell circuit) you'll get a trouble LED on the keypad and a trouble signal at central station, if you have the communicator set properly (like SIA or Contact ID with automatic reporting codes). Don't take my word just try it.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Roland:

I agrre that DSC may not have panels that will control hundreds of zones. The plant was previously protected by Wells Fargo Alarm and the decision was made to use some of the old control panels and the new panels were DMP brand. The key pads were also DMP. I was referring to most of the PIR sensors being mostly DSC. They also used another brand of PIR for very long range coverage where the plant floor was really large. Those sensors were about six times as big as the DSC sensors.

Unlike my home system, where each sensor is a "home run" wire back to the control panel, the system that was installed was like a long daisy chain. The cable had five wires and all sensors were digitally addressed so that any individual sensor sent a unique signal when it was triggered.

I thought it was interesting that, except for audible alarms on the emergency exits, the alarm system had no longer announcement capability. If you were near the key pad, it would start beeping, but they were often not audible because the areas were cleared and sealed when the work day ended. Instead, the system was monitored at the corporate alarm monitoring center in Washington state. They would call the guard shack and report the area and zone and the time of the alarm. Their dispatcher would stay on the phone and update our control center until the guard reset the system. In most cases, we were on the doors of any area in less than two minutes and the plant gates gould be closed in less than a minute. We had role players do a surprise test of the system several times and we always managed to catch them before they got to a fence or vehicle.

Changing the subject slightly, my home system is going to have a mixture of wireless and hard wired sensors. My home is about 1300 square feet including a finished basement. I will use:

4 wired glass break sensors (bedroms and dining room) 1 wireless glass break sensor (enclosed porch with closed ceiling) 3
Reply to
dcalarms
4 wired glass break sensors (bedroms and dining room) 1 wireless glass break sensor (enclosed porch with closed ceiling) 3

The "3" has me interested. I have never used a 3 before.

Roland:

I agrre that DSC may not have panels that will control hundreds of zones. The plant was previously protected by Wells Fargo Alarm and the decision was made to use some of the old control panels and the new panels were DMP brand. The key pads were also DMP. I was referring to most of the PIR sensors being mostly DSC. They also used another brand of PIR for very long range coverage where the plant floor was really large. Those sensors were about six times as big as the DSC sensors.

Unlike my home system, where each sensor is a "home run" wire back to the control panel, the system that was installed was like a long daisy chain. The cable had five wires and all sensors were digitally addressed so that any individual sensor sent a unique signal when it was triggered.

I thought it was interesting that, except for audible alarms on the emergency exits, the alarm system had no longer announcement capability. If you were near the key pad, it would start beeping, but they were often not audible because the areas were cleared and sealed when the work day ended. Instead, the system was monitored at the corporate alarm monitoring center in Washington state. They would call the guard shack and report the area and zone and the time of the alarm. Their dispatcher would stay on the phone and update our control center until the guard reset the system. In most cases, we were on the doors of any area in less than two minutes and the plant gates gould be closed in less than a minute. We had role players do a surprise test of the system several times and we always managed to catch them before they got to a fence or vehicle.

Changing the subject slightly, my home system is going to have a mixture of wireless and hard wired sensors. My home is about 1300 square feet including a finished basement. I will use:

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.