Random speaker pop on NetworX home alarm

At least once per day, the speaker of our alarm system will emit a loud pop. It's just a single pop. It sounds as if the speaker is releasing a buildup of static electricity or something. The systems is about 8 years old. We've recently had the basement finished and they simply built a frame around the control box. I believe the proplem started occuring after the basement was completed. Any ideas what might cause the pop?

Reply to
MattJ
Loading thread data ...

Chances are your speaker is combination siren/driver and is supervised by the alarm control panel. This means that there's voltage on the driver circuit. The "pop" may or may not be "normal". As with anything electronic, you may have to replace the siren/driver unit. What make and model is your system's main control and how many siren's/speakers do you have??

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Chub

I've had the security company out to try and fix it. They replaced the battery two days ago. Pop still occurs.

Reply to
MattJ

Replace the battery.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Same time every day? Anything else happening at about the same time? DC Voltage applied to a speaker would make a pop like that. I think you're right to be suspicious of the carpentry. Can you check the wire to the speaker? Rap on the wood near the panel to see if you can reproduce it. I bet Bob Lalonde could find this one :-)

Reply to
mikey

what kind of frame around the control box?...maybe they tagged a wire with a nail/staple/screw

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I'd tend to wonder if the workers rerouted any power wires near the panel, speaker, or any interconnecting wiring, and if that power wire runs something that draws a lot of power.

Try to figure out if the pop coincides with the switching on or off of any appliances, such as the fridge, or an electric (baseboard) heater - anything that could produce a voltage spike when toggling power. It doesn't even necessarily have to be something located near the affected components; all it needs is for the power feed to that device passing too close to the alarm components or wiring.

Reply to
Matt Ion

When programming the system from the keypad a pop is heard at the end of the programming. This is normal. It may also be true when programming through the downloading feature. You may find that this pop may also be associated with a daily test signal sent by the panel to the central station -- and the system is programmed to emit the pop at that time. I do not have my manual handy so I can not verify it. Check with your monitoring company to see if there is a correlation between the receipt of the daily test signal and the pop.

Reply to
Charles Booth

So....then, you get a siren blast instead of a pop? js

Reply to
alarman

Find out if it's a speaker or siren, the NX can do both. If its a speaker replace it with a siren and have them make a slight change in programming to account for the siren

Reply to
Mark Leuck

programming

It's just a hunch he won't, I couldn't think of anything else except replace the board

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will check these things out and let you know what I find.

Matt

Reply to
MattJ

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.