flush mount alarm panel enclosure

I'm installing my own security system in a new house DSC Power832 and I would prefer to have my alarm panel and equipment mounted in a flush mount enclosure. Most alarm kits come with surface mount enclosures and I am having trouble finding any that are designed for in-wall installation during rough-in. Are there sources for flush mount enclosures or will I just have to adapt a structured wiring type enclosure to do the job? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Reply to
wedge
Loading thread data ...

You could just screw the DSC can to a stud right now, leave it sticking out about 3/4" to make room for the drywall.

However, a stuctured wiring enclosure would be ideal in a new home so you can run all your computer networking wiring, CATV/SAT, phone and security to one place.

Reply to
G. Morgan

If you already have a DSC panel try looking at the ConcoursePRO Cabinet. From the DSC web site as follows: a.. Rigid construction, lockable white cabinets with bezel edges to conceal drywall edges. a.. Front loading and fully labeled for ease of cable management for both the professional and the end user. a.. 1375216-1 RCS36 36" x 14.25" x 6" a.. 1375272-2 RCS36 Lockable Door a.. 1375300-1 RCS14 14.25" x 14.25" x 4" a.. 1479715-2 RCS14 Lockable Door

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Roland Moore

| You could just screw the DSC can to a stud right now, leave it sticking | out about 3/4" to make room for the drywall. | Yuck. Have you ever seen this look or work correctly? You have to leave more sticking out than you think or the door won't open correctly. Then the wires are hard to get into the box. To me it's not worth the time as it never looks good, unless the panel comes with a flush mounting box I'd say forget it...or:

| However, a stuctured wiring enclosure would be ideal in a new home so | you can run all your computer networking wiring, CATV/SAT, phone and | security to one place. | This would be better, but keeping other wires away from the alarm board would be my concern.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Heh.. not really ;-) The door never opens right, you have to take it off to work on the panel. And you're right- it's not going to be flush. It will save a little space in the closet, but not much.

The key there is to give each utility it's own space. If the CATV guy gets there first it's going to look like hell from the get go.

The alarm wires should get it's own uniduct (with a jet line in it) and board mounted in the enclosure away from the other stuff. I've seen very big enclosures look like hell because no one managed the space, that is to say each contractor did his own thing without regard to the others. A DIY'er would have a handle on this hopefully.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Sure I have! But you have to get the rest of the panel to look just right too. First strip off all of the outer jackets on all the wires to make certain absloutely nothing has a label. Braid wires from one bundle to another bundle at random. Then strip back the insulation off the first 3"-6" so you can short any wire you want with any other wire. If it is solid core wire nick the wire when you strip it, so it snaps the next time it is touched, or better that it snaps all by itself for a good source of service call billing in future. If it is stranded wire make sure only a single strand out of the bundle is actually connected under the terminal strip. Leave all the other strands free and frayed. Next run wires thru the can that don't actually land there, putting 120VAC on a zip wire and putting the transformer in there to warm things up helps. Make certain there are several extra sets of pull wires in the can that go nowhere. Have wires that are so tight you can play musical notes on them mixed with wires that fall out on the floor when the panel is open. Don't clean up the area. Put all the pieces of wire and jacket etc. in the box just to let someone know you've been there. Use bare 4 guage wire and ground the panel to a gas pipe, and tie strap the wire to a fire sprinkler pipe along the way if you can. If that is not available just ground the panel with the neutral from the 120VAC zip wire. Make sure that there is so much crap in the box it takes the weight of two guys pushing and a third guy with a screwdriver to close the box. Don't forget to staple all of the instructions on the wall next to the panel, page by page, when complete. Be proud of your work and take pictures to show your boss.

"Crash Gordon" wrote in message news:45686608$0$3577$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net...

Reply to
Roland Moore

Ahhh?? You forgot to "tie a knot" in the AC wire at the terminals to stop that lightning bolt in its tracks.

Reply to
ABLE_1

Reply to
Roland Moore

I have a friend with a 1555 mounted in a structured box like that and it worked very well however I can't recall the name of the box at the moment

Reply to
Mark Leuck

God I can't count how often people swear by that

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Look Here:

formatting link

Reply to
Group-Moderator

Just what we need. Another Bass.

{-snip-}

Reply to
FIRETEK

Why go with a cabinet at all? Just put everything behind the drywall.

Reply to
FIRETEK

LOOK HERE:

formatting link

Reply to
Group-Moderator

We call it Smurf Tubing out this way...dunno why.

Cable guys are the biggest slobs...I leave a nice clean setup for them and the screw it all up.

| > | However, a stuctured wiring enclosure would be ideal in a new home so | > | you can run all your computer networking wiring, CATV/SAT, phone and | > | security to one place. | > | | > This would be better, but keeping other wires away from the alarm board | > would be my concern. | | The key there is to give each utility it's own space. If the CATV guy | gets there first it's going to look like hell from the get go. | | The alarm wires should get it's own uniduct (with a jet line in it) | and board mounted in the enclosure away from the other stuff. I've | seen very big enclosures look like hell because no one managed the | space, that is to say each contractor did his own thing without regard | to the others. A DIY'er would have a handle on this hopefully. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yes, it does boggle the mind.

Reply to
ABLE_1

I must work. I had a knot in my leg and I have not been hit by lightning yet!

Reply to
Roland Moore

I prefer reverse polarity flux capacitAtors.

| >> | You could just screw the DSC can to a stud right now, leave it sticking | >> | out about 3/4" to make room for the drywall. | >> | | >> Yuck. Have you ever seen this look or work correctly? You have to leave | >> more | >> sticking out than you think or the door won't open correctly. Then the | >> wires | >> are hard to get into the box. To me it's not worth the time as it never | >> looks good, unless the panel comes with a flush mounting box I'd say | >> forget | >> it...or: | >>

| >>

| >> | However, a stuctured wiring enclosure would be ideal in a new home so | >> | you can run all your computer networking wiring, CATV/SAT, phone and | >> | security to one place. | >> | | >> This would be better, but keeping other wires away from the alarm board | >> would be my concern. | >>

| >>

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Don't mess with Mike, he'll make idle threats, call bad names and make web pages about you

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Oh Great! Another Bass.

Reply to
FIRETEK

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.