safewatch Pro 2000

ASA - looking more info Doing an ADT take over of an Safewatch Pro 2000, Programming Form indicates that "local programming requires the use of a

2-line Custom English touchpad connected to the touchpad terminals on the control" I did notice on the control board a connector to allow local programming for such an application...

What is the make and model of the Touchpad! Does anybody in the newsgroup have a good/used unit they may want to sell or swap.

This is only my second Vista type swap out, anything to look out for!

Thanks in advance POGO

Reply to
Pogo
Loading thread data ...

Ademco 6160 or 6139 will work. The panel is a Vista20-P.

Reply to
G. Morgan

It's a Honeywell 6160 keypad. Note that systems made for ADT are not the same as those made for everyone else. If you have the code to access programming and ADT's prograaming sheet you can do most, if not everything you need. There may be an issue with changing the receiver phone number though.

If worse comes to worse, just get a new panel and keypad. ADI always offers deals on the kits.

Only what I mentioned above. Good luck.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Rather than go through all that, just swap out the panel and keypad to the line of product you normally use.

What type of product do you usually > ASA - looking more info

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Ya beat me to it Joe.

I hardly EVER take over another mfg panel unless it's just too easy to resist. I don't think I have more than maybe 30 or 40 other mfg's panels out there. Just change it out. You don't have to learn a new panels quirks, new programing, time on the telephone for clarification and five years later, since you haven't done the same panel since you did this one, you don't have to learn it all over again when the customer wants to change or add something to the panel. If you think you're going to save money on the hardware, you're just going to eat it up in time, trying to locate programing Keypads, for instance, which you'll probably never use again anyway. I know lots of time there's pressure from the customer because he thinks it's going to be cheaper if you don't change the equipment, but you just have to splain to him that you don't know what you're going to run into using his equipment and that you can give him a flat price on changing the equipment but charge by the hour for using his existing stuff. And if you don't get the job, you're probably better off anyway, because that kind of customer is probably going to give you a hard time about other things too.

I have my reasons for using Napco, but it hardly makes any difference WHICH of the major panels you use nowdays, but at least stick to one manufacturer if only for simplicitys sake. Besides, down the line, having all the same equipment is a plus to anyone buying your accounts.

Hey Pogo!

What Joe said!

Change the panel !!!!!!

Reply to
Jim

The 2000 is a 20SE if memory serves, the 3000 is the 20P

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I've never run across a locked ADT panel, so with a 6139 (old) or 6160 you should be able to reprogram it. Btw... I believe it's a Vista 20SE not 20P...IIRC.

They only thing you won't be able to do after taking it over is to remote program it with Compass since you can't get the ADT personality file for Compass.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I know, want to swap out the panel to something I am familiar with... the existing stuff all works OK. The manual explain how to re-boot on site and enter new installer code! hell why not just reprogram the account code and dialer. One of the posts says that I wont be able to re-program the dialer... hum dubious statement..but lends just enought thought to concern myself with it...Remote access is not a problem...client has enough other gimmick/auto answer devices on the line that even if I had the inclination to do so...the site variables would hinder! The cost of a keypad to program seems like a small cost in comparison to trying to get the client to swap out to new equipment.

Some in this group are likely better at sales than I am... client is pleased with the system and it has worked without concern...tuff sell if the only benifit is that I am confortable with the new stuff... remember the client/end user must relearn new equipment..that is sure to tax up my time..in phone support..ha ha

Thank to the group again for your insight and feedback.......still concerned about been able to reprogram the dialer....dang who said that!

Pogo

Ya beat me to it Joe.

I hardly EVER take over another mfg panel unless it's just too easy to resist. I don't think I have more than maybe 30 or 40 other mfg's panels out there. Just change it out. You don't have to learn a new panels quirks, new programing, time on the telephone for clarification and five years later, since you haven't done the same panel since you did this one, you don't have to learn it all over again when the customer wants to change or add something to the panel. If you think you're going to save money on the hardware, you're just going to eat it up in time, trying to locate programing Keypads, for instance, which you'll probably never use again anyway. I know lots of time there's pressure from the customer because he thinks it's going to be cheaper if you don't change the equipment, but you just have to splain to him that you don't know what you're going to run into using his equipment and that you can give him a flat price on changing the equipment but charge by the hour for using his existing stuff. And if you don't get the job, you're probably better off anyway, because that kind of customer is probably going to give you a hard time about other things too.

I have my reasons for using Napco, but it hardly makes any difference WHICH of the major panels you use nowdays, but at least stick to one manufacturer if only for simplicitys sake. Besides, down the line, having all the same equipment is a plus to anyone buying your accounts.

Hey Pogo!

What Joe said!

Change the panel !!!!!!

Reply to
Pogo

That's a big "maybe". Someone else spoke about running into that some time ago. I didn't mean to imply that it's universal or even close to that. Just give it a try and if all works, don't worry about it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You may be right there, it's been a while. :-) The OP should bring manuals for both to be on the safe side I reckon.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Ademco/Honeywell tech support claims it's the Vista 20SE...will bring both manuals just in case..also note that I can program with the 6150 keypas if I don't need to re-enter scripts.....reading up on the manuals...i like the programming format..will see how it goes in the field..

P.S...."OP" acronym for what?

Pogo

Reply to
Pogo

Thanks Robert, I understand should have use the word "may not instead of won't" when it comes to relabeled panels it's pretty much a crap shoot, I did not notice if the chip set was Ademco labeled or ADT labeled...

Good health

Pogo

Reply to
Pogo

It's an SE fer sure.

OP = original poster...or original post (dat be you in this instance)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I've taken over hundreds of ADT Safewatch Pros...none of them were locked, none of them had hardcoded dialer numbers...they were ALL fully programmable except for being able to use Compass on them you should be ok.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.