Driveway Alarm Module?

I am looking for a RELIABLE inductive driveway alarm module that I can use to detect cars coming up the driveway.

I don't want to use motion as we have lots of deer that use our driveway as well.

Most of the modules I have seen are Pro-homeowner grade, not very adjustable (tunable) or reliable. My neighbor uses a pro module the state uses for its counter loops and it is bullet proof, but he doesn't remember where he got it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Sisson
Loading thread data ...

Will do the job.

formatting link

Reply to
ABLE_1

I just LOVE the 100 mile limit from sensor to panel.

One HELL of a driveway!

"Honey, I just came thru the gate, I'll be home in an hour or so"

Reply to
Al Mundy

I think guys that install gates and gate openers may be able to help you out with a better recommendation than guys here. I seldom get out the saw to cut in vehicle loop detectors. I suspect not many that post here do either. However you could use what the big boys do if your wallet has the stomach for it. Here it is:

formatting link
think you may be able to adjust this so the deer won't be a problem.

Reply to
Roland Moore

I doubt it. The Cartell system and several others like it work very well. I've installed a number of vehicle detectors from various manufacturers. Most brands work as well as the next so choose based on price and features.

Fortunately, that is not necessary for 99% of residential driveways. The detector is placed a few inches below the surface next to (not under) the driveway.

In ths case you suspect wrong, Roland. These are a popular DIY add-on to home automation an security systems.

Regards, Robert L Bass

========================>

Bass Home Electronics Online DIY Alarm & Automation Store

941-866-1100
formatting link
=========================>
Reply to
news.comcast.net

I've installed several driveway annunciators, with some you just put the sensor along side the driveway. On the ones we put underneath we either installed a fat piece of pvc prior to driveway pour or used a high pressure nozzle on a water hose to tunnel under the driveway. They are easy to install and work great.

I connect them to dedicated alarm panel zones, make them local zones and then the homeowner can turn on the chime feature for that zone and bada bing driveway annunciation at all the alarm keypads...piece o'cake.

| > I don't want to use motion as we have lots of deer that use our driveway | > as well. | >

| > Most of the modules I have seen are Pro-homeowner grade, not very | > adjustable (tunable) or reliable. My neighbor uses a pro module the state | > uses for its counter loops and it is bullet proof, but he doesn't remember | > where he got it. | >

| > Bob | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Here is a likely match for what your neighbor has. I have had some hands on with the under vehicle camera stuff from these folks.

formatting link
is the real deal heavy duty traffic stuff you seem to be seeking information on. Most replies here think that DIY solution will work fine, however that was not what you asked about necessarily. If you ever attend a ITS show there are folks there that might "hook you up" and get you one for little or nothing. But like I mentioned, this is not what the folks in this group typically do.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Hmm. The OP asked: "I am looking for a RELIABLE inductive driveway alarm module that I can use to detect cars coming up the driveway."

That does not sound like he's looking for a loop traffic detector. He wasnt a residential vehicle sensor and the ones mentioned by others are exactly that. I'm not questioning your experience with heavy duty systems for use in a roadway but apparently you are not familiar with Cartell or some of the other brands. These are routinely used on residential driveways with good results. Here's a link (my website) to information on several competing brands. Most are about equal in terms of effectiveness. They all use the same technology.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Kinda an overkill for residential.

I've had Cartell products in now for over 10 years and still working fine except for the the occasional wire getting cut by overly agressive gardeners.

| > I don't want to use motion as we have lots of deer that use our driveway | > as well. | >

| > Most of the modules I have seen are Pro-homeowner grade, not very | > adjustable (tunable) or reliable. My neighbor uses a pro module the state | > uses for its counter loops and it is bullet proof, but he doesn't remember | > where he got it. | >

| > Bob | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I worked for a traffic signal company for over 20 years. They no longer use the inductive loops - it's all video today.

That said, the inductive loops worked pretty well, and would not pick up any deer. I have a couple new digital ind. loop amplifiers in my shop, but I opted for the easy Cartell next to the drive installation.

At my home the Cartell works perfectly, only giving false trips during severe electrical storms. I highly recommend it. Far easier to install that the inductive loop being recommended.

John

Bob Siss> I am looking for a RELIABLE inductive driveway alarm module that I can use

Reply to
jmjones

counter loops and it is bullet proof, but he doesn't remember where he got it." I was just telling him where he might get what he is looking for. I don't think that is what he needs either, just pointing out some information. Maybe you could hook him up with a name or two where some "surplus" gear is.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Look HERE:

formatting link

Reply to
Group-Moderator

That's not really necessary, Roland. Cartell and other models intended for residential driveway detection work very well and cost far less.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks for all the replies...

I found two different technologies.

Loop sensors that require a caw-cut loop in the road surface and Probe sensors that can be anywhere with in 14' of the vehicle path, possibly buried next to it.

I was HOPING to use the probe type sensors on an advanced loop module as they can also determine DIRECTION if you have 2 loops.

Unfortunately, you cannot mix the two technologies.

I will have to devise my own direction logic "kludge" to use the probes.

WHY direction you ask...

On INCOMING I want to light lights, record 30 seconds of video, chime inside and a bit more..

On OUTGOING I want to close garage doors, if dark wait 2 min and then turn off lights, No chime, etc...

Bob

Reply to
Bob Sisson

that can be anywhere with in 14' of the vehicle

can also determine DIRECTION if you have 2 loops.

That is not correct, Bob. You can indeed use directional probes with sevveral of the residential systems. These are in fairly common use.

Not necessary. Here's the Cartell solution.

"Two systems: CP-2 and CT-2B. Bury two CP-2 self-contained systems ten feet apart and parallel with the driveway. Run each cable back to your home automation/security panel. At the panel, connect their white data lines together and you make a directional system. Also, when you use two CT-2B control units and two CT-6 probes and hook them up to a CT-8A annunciator, you can make a pulsing tone when the vehicle passes one probe and a steady tone when it passes the other probe, making a directional system."

Following is Sure Action's solution:

"Sure Action 212 Processor -- Sure Action's Directional Probe Processor for Use with Model P8000 probe provides an installer with flexibility. By installing this processor and probe (sold separately), an installer can have lights turn on and a chime sound when a car enters a driveway, but only have the lights turn on as the car leaves the home. Or a gate may be triggered to open. The directional probe can also be used on long driveways to trigger lights so that only sections of the driveway are lit as a car enters and leaves."

formatting link

This is a fairly common application.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks,

About the time you message was posted, I found those pages and some others. I also found the long range RFID readers that coupled with the driveway sensors let you know WHO is coming or going (if they have a tag).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Sisson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.