ADT Yard Signs

client stopped dealing with them the signs are

they're about to go around collecting old lawn signs.

for the alarm company.

collect them at the expiration of the contract, then ADT

property of the homeowner and he can do whatever he

copyright laws but not the physical signs themselves. It's

wants to sell it on eBay he has every right to do so. He

For all the flack you get around here, Bass, it appears as though you do know what you're talking about.... At least sometimes. ;)

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail
Loading thread data ...

Once in a while. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

This wanst just any burglar They called him the snake.Wille Carter he violated nearly 400 homes with systems he only chose homes with systems. he never got caught doing a burglary he beat every system he went against except for a couple that went off and he left with out getting caught he finnaly got caught fencing the goods. and he is just a hand full I have heard from .

Reply to
nick markowitz

He's been workin' on (and dodging) "legal angles" for most of his career.

Reply to
Frank Olson

A broken clock is correct twice a day

Reply to
Mark Leuck

There is tho far more evidence burglars stay away from houses with security signs than your example here. There's always a few that buck the trend

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Not sure about that. If someone stole my sign and put it on the side of their truck that would be tradename infringement (and I DID win a lawsuit based upon this)...i wonder how it would be different?

| Bass Home Electronics | 941-866-1100 | 4883 Fallcrest Circle | Sarasota · Florida · 34233 |

formatting link
| =============================>

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

He's an amateur...and he still got caught. It defies logic that a burglar would burgle a house with a sign over one without.

| > Come on man, does that really make sense to you? | >

| >

| >

| >

| >

| > | > Why do you suppose that is? | > | >

| > | >> I have a self-installed system and am using | > | >> a central station of my choosing, but have one ADT yard sign (because | > | >> everyone recognizes ADT). | > | >

| > | > Yes, they are recognized far and wide as the some of the cheapest, | > most | > | > poorly designed and installed residential systems currently available. | > | >

| > | >>I'd be interested in purchasing a couple | > | >> more to place elsewhere on the property, and am looking for anyone | > who | > | >> can source these. | > | >

| > | > Source them? SOURCE them? You mean steal them and sell them to you? | > | >

| > | >> Please let me know either here or via private email | > | >> at briantf27 (at) yahoo (dot) com | > | >

| > | > Wait. You're a network engineer, right? | > | >

| > | >> Thanks. | > | >

| > | > Fuck off. | > | > js | > | >

| > | | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

He sounds like a pro to me with 400 burglaries.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Not if it's LCD... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Easy. If they steal *your* sign it's theft. If they use it to pretend they're you, that's impersonation. If they try to attract business pretending to be you, that's a trade name infringement. But if you abandon the sign itself (not the copyright) the person you left it with can dispose of it lawfully. Once you abandon property you can't come back later and claim ownership rights to it. There is a significant difference between copyright or trademark rights and chattel property rights.

Let's go back to the analogy of a written work. Suppose you write a book on the "Life and Times of Jiminex". It's only about six pages long but you wrote it and you're proud of it. You publish it at significant expense down at Office Depot's copy center. After being thrown out for printing profane language, you visit Bob Lalonde and go for a ride on his brand new Vespa. While there you lend Bob a copy of the book. Bob reads it in five minutes, snickers a few times and tosses it on a heap of rotting copies of Easy Rider magazine in the corner of his garage. Three years go by and you make no effort to retrieve the book. You visit Bob a few times during that time and see the book staring balefully at you from the heap but you don't ask for it back.

One night Bob passes the book on to Stevens, who he ran into at a strip bar around the corner from the ISC show. Stevens has been waiting for years to get his hands on a photo of the subject for his website. The following week Bob L offends you in the newsgroup so you demand your book back. Unbeknownst to Bob, Stevens has already scanned the picture of Jiminex from the front page and posted it on his website.

You can't sue Bob because you gave him the book. Even though it was originally a loan, by failing to retrieve it for several years you effectively abandoned it. He doesn't have to give it back and he can lawfully give it away.

You later discover that Stevens has scanned your prized photo of Jiminex in his rowboat, crossing the Arthur Kill between Staten Island, NY and Elizabeth, NJ, cursing and flailing his arms at some seagull which has just proven itself incredibly accurate at aerial targeting and... well, never mind that for now.

You can sue Stevens for all he's worth. He has infringed your copyright. Jiminex, in turn, files a lawsuit against you for failing to curse me out in the book. Graham calls and offers to testify in your favor if only you'll pleeeease be his friend.

I hope this explanation helps.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Jiminex, in turn, files a lawsuit against you for failing

if only you'll pleeeease be his friend.

You really should not be the one doling out legal advice, especially concerning copyright infringements.

Reply to
G. Morgan

No if they started a business with your company name and logo then yes but just putting your sign on a truck won't do it

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Exactly. A name on a truck won't do it, nor will a sign in my yard.

It's not illegal just because ADT doesn't approve (or you don't approve as the case may be).

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

Well, yes..they were representing themselves as being me/my company. They didn't actually have any licenses or a legal business.

This is interesting though. So you guys are kinda saying that if I bought a used ADT service truck with their signage on it, and drove it around not intending to do any alarm business that ADT or lets say just parked it on my driveway - would have no case? (tangent from OP...just posing another ?)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Correct.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Interesting. I gotta think on this for a while..bbl, I actually have to go to work now. :-)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

In your case it may have been a different issue than what is being talked about here. It is the action of the individual that "could" constitute some sort of illegal act. If he was an unlicensed person, driving an ADT truck and not employeed by ADT, out there selling, installing, servicing alarms as an ADT whatever, there may be some sort of fraud and deception thing going on, not to mention any of the unlicensed contractor penaltys and who knows what else. But simply having possession of a sign, or a truck etc. with a logo on it is not illegal unless it was stolen. Even with that, the crime would be possession of stolen property and not anything to do with the logo. Stealing an ADT truck would carry no heavier penalty than stealing RLB's Camary. You have to forget what seems to be right, ethical, common sense and even what may have been law last year. None of that comes into play when attorneys are involved.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

You have to forget what seems to be right, ethical, common sense and even what may have been law last year. None of that comes into play when attorneys are involved.

Truer words were never spoken.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Many years ago I worked for a company that manufactured police badges and notary seals. One day someone came in to order a badge and something didn't quite seem right. Usually orders came from the city on a P.O. This man wanted to pay cash and didn't have a purchase order. So I phoned the police and asked about the legal aspect of someone who might not be a law officer buying a police badge. The police said there is no law against buying a badge as long as the owner of the badge doesn't impersonate a police officer. I don't know for what other purpose someone would buy a badge but it was legal for the customer to buy it and legal for us to sell it to him. The law may vary by state.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.