Chubb or ADT for Residential Installation - Opinions Please

I have two quotations for installing the idential number of sensors in my home (in Ontario, Canada) . ADT seems to have a better price considering their cell backup is less expensive as well as their monthly monitoring fee with all the extras including the free warranty. I would appreciate opinions as to Chubb's and ADT's quality of hardware, monitoring service, etc.

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
allanc
Loading thread data ...

Hi Over here in the U.K I have heard they are both shit.

Just want your money.

Kind Regards.

Micky. Leeds U.K.

Reply to
Micky Savage

Agreed, In the UK both have a terrible reputation, especially with residential systems. You would be much better off looking at what the local companies can offer. After sales service is not always specified in the quotation but should be taken very seriously when considering a purchase in a service industry such as security.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

ADT, well, BLOWS.

Reply to
alarman

Sir, with either of these two large companies you will probably end up paying too much. I know nothing about Chubb's service; however, with ADT, you will likely suffer very long wait times for service. I am a third party dealer on ADT's monitoring station (by accident, not by choice) and frankly, I consider their monitoring services to be below par. Chubb I don't know anything about.

ADT generally use Ademco equipment which is professional grade hardware. Chubb in our area use private labelled hardware which I don't recognize, so if you choose to go elsewhere for service, warranty and monitoring after their contract is done, you might have trouble finding another dealer who can service their hardware.

I would suggest you might want to shop around a bit more before making a final decision.

There are some shopping hints on my website on a page called "How to Shop"

Best of luck

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Reply to
tourman

What are both companies reputations in terms of response to alarms? And.... thank you for your input so far.

Reply to
allanc

What are both companies reputations in terms of response to alarms?

one call and that's all..

Reply to
Bob

RHC: I can only comment in regards to ADT. Most good stations will do a thorough sweep of your call list before confirming the police are to be dispatched. This helps cut down on false alarms which in many jurisdictions can result in expensive false alarm tickets. ADT locally only call the home then the police. They also don't recognize cancel codes (when you disarm, it tells the station that someone has legitimately disarmed the panel). They also program their panels with a minute delay before the panel even sends to the station, which although not really a security deficiency, can lead to the station telling you they got no signals when you call in to try to call off the dogs. Or worse, while you're calling them, they're calling you....line busy....the police are on their way. I don't know why they operate this way other than to perhaps cut down unwanted signals to their HUGE monitoring stations (they have millions of customers...)

In my opinion, this is not the best way to handle alarms and is definately not the way the station that has the vast majority of my accounts does it (them...1000 accounts; ADT.....nine accounts). If you do choose ADT, you might want to query them on how they do it locally where you are (and be careful believing anything their salemen tell you....these guys are on commission........talk to their monitoring station directly, or their service manager)

Remember at all times...in this industry (and certainly in Ontario)....it's "buyer beware" big time.....

Reply to
tourman

I'd suggest that you contact a few people (end users) in your area, who have alarm systems and see who they use and how satisfied they are with the service. I'm sure you realize that any large corporation has it's problems with service as compared to smaller companys. ( not TOO small) Bigger companys usually don't/can't give the personal service and attention that something like the security and safety of your family and home is concerned. You might want to buy your appliances from a big company but when it comes to service related purchases, you're usually better off dealing with someone who's got an interest in maintaining his reputation local to your area. When you have a problem with your system, you don't want to be talking to someone located 1000 miles away or with someone who doing this just as a job. You want someone who's going to pick up the phone at 9:PM and help you with a problem. Look around locally, you're sure to find a neighbor who's got a good alarm company that has a good reputation and who's been around for awhile.

Reply to
Jim

The advice from someone on the 'inside' is appreciated. I have bookmarked your link and will read in detail.

Reply to
allanc

That is a good idea. I will see what I can find out from the neighbours.

Reply to
allanc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.