DVR for Dummies (aka - me)

We currently have a 16 channel multiplexer with a time lapse VCR. It's about 8 years old and needs replaced.

We have been looking into DVR systems and DVR cards available on Ebay and elsewhere. (I won't get into why we'll never purchase CCT equipment from ADT ever again).

We currently run 12 cameras, although we have the capability for 16.

One frustration with our current time lapse VCR system is that our 12 cameras cannot be recorded simultaneously, instead it records camera 1 for a few seconds, then camera 2 for a few seconds until it cycles through to camera 12 and then back to camera 1.

Can DVR systems record all cameras at once, or do most still cycle through each camera, one by one?

If DVRs can record simultaneously, is this a feature that is typical, or is it only available on high end equipment.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me!

Reply to
spamdisintegrator
Loading thread data ...

Simultaneous recording on all cameras is "typical" for all but the very cheapest DVRs. HOW MANY frames can be simultaneously recorded will vary with cost - most of the cheapest PC-based systems will do 60fps total, split across all cameras in groups of two; so, for example, all the odd-numbered cameras are a "group" that have up to 30fps available to them, and ditto the even-numbered cameras (30fps is the framerate for standard full-motion video). Systems that will do up to 30fps *per cmaera* on up to 16 cameras exist, but get VERY expensive, not only for the capture hardware itself, but for the massive storage and fast PC needed to handle all that data.

For most instances, I find running 1 or 2fps per camera is just fine anyway (depending on your exact needs - what kind of company, what kind of actions or transactions you're monitoring, etc.)

Reply to
Matt Ion

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Cycling is called sequencial switching. Still an option on DVR's but not the best choice to use for normal operations. It can have some use for specific applications. As many DVR's as there are on the market, through the internet and what people are actually assemblying out of parts from Circuit City in their basement, who knows what all of these are or are not capable of doing. It seemed everyone jumped on the band wagon since the whole Homeland Security thing. The major brand name manufacturers of DVR's offers equipment that does record all cameras at once, as well as, allows for customizing each camera location as to activity recording, sensitivity, etc. It may also be important to you to have all cameras still recording while you are reviewing already recorded video. Most do but some don't allow you to do this. Something you were not able to do with your VCR, unless you took the tape to another machine. Some machines are going to have on board CDR or DVD for saving recorded incidents and some don't. Hard drive size will be probably one of your major decisions. That will depend on how many cameras you have, how many PPS (pictures per second) are being recorded and how much stored video you are looking for. A day, week, month etc. Some DVR's can also allow you to have cameras recording that are not visible to the person(s) watching the monitors if that is of use. The major ones are networkable, come with software for remote access to the machine, provide watermarked video (something that some here don't believe is necessary, but all of the majors are providing it), can control telemetry devices (pan-tlt-zoom cameras), even remotely and have digital enhancement. You will find a large range of product, but warrantys, support and features are all important. There have already been, here today gone tomarrow, as well as companys that are on their third and fourth versions trying to get it right, so do your homework on the product once you find one that is interesting to you. I am sure you will find consumer reports on most of them if they have been around for awhile. There is a CCTV forum you may want to check as well.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I think I could give you some ideas if I knew more about how you plan to use your CCTV system. Do you need to view video locally or remotely? Do you need to have more information like point of sale? Do you need to make copies of the video frequently? Do you need a public view monitor or spot monitor? (Some mux units support those options while some DVR units don't - even high end ones.) Do you know what type of cameras you have now? Are they black and white or color? Do you know the resolution? Do they have a BNC type connect or some other? (or simply the make and model) If you select what you want for features and what your budget is I could make a list of DVR units you may like.

Reply to
Roland Moore

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.