ADT Yard Signs

There are websites that cater to police badges and miniatures. Some consider them collectables. IIRC, there has been some restriction on them as of late.

Reply to
Steve
Loading thread data ...

Say what you will, it was quite funny........

Reply to
Steve

Yep. I think Texas is one that has some heavy restrictions on their Texas Star, and that goes way back.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Keep in mind that I'm not a lawyer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I wouldn't think so but again I'm no lawyer

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That depends if you have a non-functional firearm

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Try putting something up with the word "Kentucky" in it

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Nonsense. Monitronics wouldn't spring for a Holiday Express. js

Reply to
alarman

Yes, especially since ADT had the opportunity to remove the signs before selling you the truck and chose not to do so.

Trademark law is primarily about identifying the source of goods and services. In the example you gave, where someone is using the name of your business without permission, to try and make some money, it's a trademark violation because the public will probably be confused into thinking they are buying from you.

Big companies like ADT are so well known, their trademarks are known as "famous marks," and they get extra protection under the law. For example, you can't open a hamburger stand and call it McDonald's, even if your name is McDonald. But if your ADT truck is just parked in the driveway, it's not being used in commerce, and the public is not being confused.

Where ADT may have a point on the yard signs is this: suppose some DIYer puts in his own piece of shit system, puts up some ADT yard signs to make it look official...and the system starts causing lots of false alarms. People see the yard signs and blame ADT, and maybe they don't buy an ADT system because of it. The public is confused as to the source of the alarm system.

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

Not really.

I'd guess that it doesn't really matter which one installed the system. The results would be the same.

Reply to
Jim

Can't, there are no restrictions on fried chicken. If there were, obesity in the US won't be a problem.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

That affects much more than fried chicken tho

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That's what I was getting at; dilution of a famous mark.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Leuck got drunk?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Leuck doesn't drink, Leuck also doesn't threaten relatives with supposed non-working firearms

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Well, that's what you claim.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yeah, and you have no reason to say otherwise.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yep, I just shed thirty pounds and have another 20 to go. Some what of an expert on that problem. I could eat with the best of them, except those hot dog eating contests. Those are sick! :o]

Reply to
Bob Worthy

I know where your coming from, I lost 90 2 years ago

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Wow! Good job. I know the older you get the harder it is. But, if you wanta get older........

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.