Ademco Panel

Yes, but unfortunately, neither the incoming alarmco, nor the end user owner of the board make an issue of it the way they perhaps should. The incoming alarmco cusses the installation company and simply changes out the board at their cost to satisfy the customer, and the end user's problem is solved by doing that, so he doesn't care. Meanwhile the original installing company continues the practice "because he can"...

It seems the only retribution the company gets is a bad name within the ranks of his peers in the industry, which doesn't seem to bother some folks very much. And getting a lawyer involved is rarely a cost effective solution given the low price of boards....

I got a call recently from a detective on the Denver police department who was curious about the whole issue. We never did make contact due to our continuing to miss each other, but I was pretty curious about his interest in the issue. Never did find out...

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell
Loading thread data ...

It just seems to me that a six zone panel isn't going to hack it for most residential situations, no matter how skillfully it was installed.

Merry Christmas

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

I probably wouldn't do that either, but that would be my call (or the client's) not my techs.

| >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Depends ! In this particular home, it was set up to give decent but not exceptional coverage. Most of these companies that do these installations are forced by the builder into a "lowest price possible" situation and react accordingly. Personally, I would have installed an 832 so the panel wouldn't be at capacity from day one, plus wired the windows as well, but ...hey...I didn't install it. All the windows in the home are the thick, double paned crank windows and are at least 8 feet off the ground, backed up by motion detectors, so the risk factor is pretty low.

But the installer did a superb wiring job regardless of his bosses ethical standards. Again, credit where credit is due !

Merry Xmas to all you guys as well. Our Xmas is coloured a little with the death of my father-in-law late yesterday; however, given that he was a vegetable from Altzeimers for the last few years, it is a blessing in disguise !! The Lord works in stange ways some times...

I hope the coming year brings you all happiness and business success that exceeds your expectations !

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

if you did you would be giving th other company a chance to 'snake' you out and get the account back themselves. after all they know the install and the code and will probably undersell you by $1 just to get the account. I have learned this the hard way. don't tell anybody anything.

Reply to
Chub

UPDATE:

After reading posts to this thread, I called the installer back and insisted that he tell me whether or not he had used an installer code that could not reset using the Ademco power-up installer code reset sequence. He said that they DO NOT lockout the Ademco power-up reset sequence and that any installer knowledgeable about Ademco would be able to reset the installer code and reprogram the panel.

It seems the first tech I spoke with gave me incorrect information. The first guy told me that only one their techs could access the programming mode of the panel. Turns out he was wrong . . . ooops.

Reply to
Travelin

exactly. plus it makes you look dumb in the client's eyes

| >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

DUH?

Reply to
Chub

Here's the problem:

Yes the builders DO push for the least costly panel. A number of years ago, working for such a builder, I used a 6 burg zone panel in the following way. Keypad mounted half way between front and inner garage door. Zone one, front and garage door, entry exit. Zone two, front windows (6) Zone three, back of house, 5 windows, and slider door. zone four, den, living room, kitchen motion . Zone 5, master bedroom motion. Zone 6, basement windows. Fire, two smokes, on fire zone.

Was home run wired for each opening, for ease of trouble shooting. Not the most convenient or elaborate system but it does the job.

Reply to
Jim

Most builder don't care what you put in as long as it's cheap cheap cheap....you could put in a 2 zone panel for all they care.

| > But the installer did a superb wiring job regardless of his bosses ethical | > standards. Again, credit where credit is due ! | >

| > Merry Xmas to all you guys as well. Our Xmas is coloured a little with the | > death of my father-in-law late yesterday; however, given that he was a | > vegetable from Altzeimers for the last few years, it is a blessing in | > disguise !! The Lord works in stange ways some times... | >

| > I hope the coming year brings you all happiness and business success that | > exceeds your expectations ! | >

| > RHC | >

| >

| > > Merry Christmas | > >

| > > Doug L | > >

| > > -- | > >

| > >> Credit where credit is due... | > >>

| > >> RHC | > >>

| > >>

| > >>> Doug L | > >>

| > >>

| > >>

| > >> I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you? | > >>

formatting link
| > >>

| > >

| > >

|
Reply to
Crash Gordon

Aint that the truth ! So when you go in to takeover the system, and you point out the shortcomings to the customer, you're inevitably met with..."whaaaat....I paid a thousand bucks for this system !!!"

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

What I found is that there is a power-up installer code reset sequence that will allow a reset of the installer code to factory default. However it is possible for the installer to set a code that defeats the power-up reset sequence, thus preventing a reset to the factory default. In this case Compass is required.

Reply to
Travelin

which one did you have?

Reply to
Chub

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.