Used LYNX panel a good deal?

Amazon has a few LYNXR/LYNXR24 alarm consoles for $35-40. Assuming that these are working, is there anything that comes with a new panel ($204) that does not come with the used ones? They say that they have all the parts, although one does not have the manual. That can be downloaded.

Do all the various detectors come separately?

Reply to
dgk
Loading thread data ...

RHC: When buying any used alarm panel from Ebay or anywhere else for that matter, make absolutely sure it is not locked. Disreputable people have been known to sell locked panels to unsuspecting customers !

Detectors, door contacts, smokes etc usually are purchased separately; however, they may or may not come with your used panel.

Reply to
tourman

Locked. You mean with an installer password that can't be reset? I know next to nothing about installing an alarm but I read a few threads and the LYNX seems to a good one. There is no "reset to factory defaults" option?

Reply to
dgk

RHC: There is always a "reset to factory" setting in the installer level manual UNLESS the panel is locked as well in software. To to the page on my website called "unlocking services" and "installer lockout" for a complete description of what I mean.....www.homemetal.com

Protect yourself before you buy a used alarm panel especially as a DIY'er with little experience in these matters.

Reply to
tourman

Got it. Tech-man for US customers.

But, how does the whole LYNX system compare to something like the AAS

600 which comes with all the sensors and such for around $350? I just saw it on Amazon and it got decent reviews.
Reply to
dgk

It's an okay wireless system

Reply to
mleuck

Thanks. Maybe that is easier.

Reply to
dgk

Reviews on Amazon with something like this are meaningless, it is doubtful people who are buying them online will have a clue just what a good security system really is

Reply to
mleuck

RHC: That is SO right ! They are the same types who buy into the Alarmforce nonsense......they truly don't understand what a security system is supposed to cover to be effective, or they are looking for something for nothing. Selling a professional system to someone is always a bit of an educational thing, with most having preconceived notions of what it should be.

Reply to
tourman

The only way that panel can be locked out is by downloading which is rarely done, I doubt you have a problem with that.

Reply to
mleuck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.