Ademco Panel

I recently purchased a home that has an Ademco Vista-15P panel and one keypad installed. The local company that installed the system has set his own lockout code and refuses to unlock the panel or reset to factory default.

Any suggestions on how "unlock" the panel. By unlock I do not mean physically unlock. I have the key to the panel door.

Thanks.

Reply to
Travelin
Loading thread data ...

Thats pretty weird they won't unlock it for you. Most ethical companies will unlock it as long as you are not the original client that owes them 900 bucks in deliquent monitoring fees.

There's a couple of techs here that may be able to unlock it for you, you'd have to send them the board. Undoubtedly they will see this post and respond.

If it can't be unlocked you just toss it and replace it with a new board....imo, it's faster to just replace it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Sir, best to send it to Jim Rojas on this newsgroup. He unlocks all makes of boards; the other two who do it are located in Canada, and (speaking only for myself) ONLY do DSC and Paradox. There just isn't enough business on other makes of panels to make it worth while going through the process of learning how to crack those boards.

On the other hand, it might be simpler and only slightly more costly to simply replace the board.

BTW, Crash, I get lots of calls from people in the same boat, and have actually been close by when the client was told by the alarmco to sign a contract with them or they won't unlock the clients board (that's one of the things that originally got me into this business...). Most alarmcos are quite ethical though, and will assist the client. However, we have three companies here in town that are known for this kind of activity.

I came upon a new wrinkle on this theme the other day ! My customer moved into his new home equipped with a DSC 632 that he paid $1000 to have installed, and which was sold to him with the home. When I went there, I found a truly magnificent installation. But on the can lid was a sticker that said..."This panel is electronically locked for your protection"...!!!!!! (including keypad lockout after three attempts...)

Yah gotta wonder....

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Ademco has no hard lock out. I t is easy to get the code with ademco panel. No I am not going to say how to do it though, sorry.

Reply to
Chub

Where is Mr. Bass when you need him? :-)

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

The OP would know if he had the manual.

Reply to
Chub

I can understand it, but I can't condone locking a panel before you even have the person as a client...that's unethical in my book. Stems partially from the fact that the alarmco was probably haggled down to a no profit install by the builder...the builder making more money on the system than the alarmco who did all the work....that kinda thing.

| > There's a couple of techs here that may be able to unlock it for you, | > you'd | > have to send them the board. Undoubtedly they will see this post and | > respond. | >

| > If it can't be unlocked you just toss it and replace it with a new | > board....imo, it's faster to just replace it. | >

| >

| >

| >

| | | I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you? |

formatting link
| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

You're dreaming dood...the manual is no help if the panel is locked out.

In fact Ademco is no help if the panel is locked even if a dealer sends it in to the factory. Either you get the orig. alarmco to unlock, or one of the technogeekazoids on the ng to unlock it...or you throw it away.

| >> Ademco has no hard lock out. I t is easy to get the code with ademco | >> panel. No I am not going to say how to do it though, sorry. | > Where is Mr. Bass when you need him? :-) | >

| > Bob | | The OP would know if he had the manual. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

been a year or 2 since did any ademco but what happened to *# after power up then *20 to read installer code?

Reply to
Chub

Yeah, for that $1000 Power 632 install, I wonder how much each party made on that ! It's my understanding that the alarmco's that do these builder installs do so at a much reduced price in order to hopefully win the monitoring contract. But you're right; that doesn't excuse unethical denial of rightful access to customer owned equipment.

People on the ng tell me I make too much of this, but I don't believe I do. It's quite common actually. But in fairness, it always seems to be the same minority of companies that are guilty of this practice. Given the low price of alarm panels at wholesale level, it just seems such a stupid thing to do, and I doubt it stops any other alarmco intent on winning the business.

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

yah sometimes you get carried away :-)

when I come across locked panels, if I can't jimmy my way in, I just pull it and replace it (without charging client)...I figure it's a real small price to pay for a new client. I don't mess with trying to get the locking company to unlock it. I've had a policy for 21 years now...if any of my guys ever called the original alarmco or the prewire alarmco for help...they're outta here.

| >

| >

| > | > There's a couple of techs here that may be able to unlock it for you, | > | > you'd | > | > have to send them the board. Undoubtedly they will see this post and | > | > respond. | > | >

| > | > If it can't be unlocked you just toss it and replace it with a new | > | > board....imo, it's faster to just replace it. | > | >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | >

| > | | > | | > | I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you? | > |

formatting link
| > | | > | | >

| >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

That will only get you into programming if it's not locked. You can only lock/unlock it with Compass remotely.

| > In fact Ademco is no help if the panel is locked even if a dealer sends it | > in to the factory. Either you get the orig. alarmco to unlock, or one of | > the | > technogeekazoids on the ng to unlock it...or you throw it away. | | | been a year or 2 since did any ademco but what happened to *# after power up | then *20 to read installer code? | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

"Local programming lock-out" will disable all attempts at gaining access to programming. This is an option in Compass and, if enabled, will render the panel useless to anyone without the Compass software *and* the CSID#. His best "bet" is to replace the board (if the local dealer isn't willing to unlock it).

Reply to
Frank Olson

Seems a bit unusual. Care to explain your logic here ?

RHC

I've had a policy for 21 years now...if any of my guys ever called the original alarmco or the prewire alarmco for help...they're outta here.

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

If we can't figure out a job or a how a house was prewired we shouldnt be doing the job. Have you ever called another alarmco for help figuring out how they originally did the install?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Its a six (hardwired) zone panel, how magnificent can it be?

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

from op question I'm not sure he has to. may just need to access programming to read installer code.

Reply to
Chub

Ok, now I see what you mean. I took you meaning as you wouldn't call the other company to address the unlocking of the board

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

Doug, this had to be the most impressive installation I had ever seen. The wiring in the case was picture perfect from the usual jumble of wires. Everything was perfectly tagged and even the alignment of the wiring going into the terminals was perfectly parallel. Whoever did this one was either a perfectionist or intensely proud of his work. Can management was superb.

Credit where credit is due...

RHC

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

It is called "theft by conversion". It is illegal to lock a panel prior to an agreement or to keep it locked after the agreement has been satisfied, unless the title to the equipment is in the name of the company (lease). Ask any attorney. Usually, a persons attorney can write a "nasty gram" to resolve the issue and filing a complaint against the persons license doesn't hurt either since it is illegal.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.