Connecting 4-wire smokes to Ademco V15P

I'm trying to sort out the installation of 2 4-wire smoke detectors to my Ademco Vista 15P panel. According to the instructions, I need to connect power in a way that will allow the smokes to be reset. It looks like the panel has a "trigger" point, where if I connect the + power and program the trigger correctly, it will power down/up to reset. Other than that, if I connect the power to auxillary power, the smoke will not reset, which I'm assuming may contribute to possible false alarms. Another alternative is to install a separate relay to reset, but I don't really want to do that.

Am I on the right track with this? Is there a better alternative? Does the "trigger" option work well?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Rob Houston

Reply to
rahouston
Loading thread data ...

Joe:

Thanks for the response! What is your first choice-----a relay?

Thanks again,

Rob

Reply to
rahouston

You will want to switch the low, and follow the instructions in the install manual closely. We have used this option a few times. It isn't our first choice and we won't use it for more than a few smokes. But it does work.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

It's a lot easier to use 2 wire smokes...you just connect them to the fire zone put the resistor at the last smoke and program the zone...done. No power supervision relay etc...

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Crash:

Agreed----but I already have 4-wire smokes that I want to use.

Thanks for the response,

Rob

Reply to
rahouston

So, for the experts, I have one more question------if I decide to install new 2-wire smokes instead, do they always have to be connected to Zone 1 on the Vista 15P panel? The installation instructions suggest this, but I always thought they could be installed on any zone that allows programming of a fire zone, as long as the correct polarity is observed.

Your clarification is very much appreciated!

Rob

Reply to
rahouston

Thanks, Nick! This is very helpful.

Regards,

Rob

Reply to
rahouston

I've always used Zone 1 since it's designated as the 2 wire fire zone. But, I suppose you could measure the voltage across zone 1 and compare it to the other zones...it "may" be the same since all EOLRs are the same value...if the voltage is the same you could try it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I have used altronix low draw relay rsbn ttl? and works fine had similar deal were existing system had 4 wire smoke

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

Frank:

Thanks for the clarification. Zone 1 it is......

Rob

Reply to
rahouston

It won't work. A guy that's now a customer of mine already tried it. Screwed up his system big time (he didn't "break it", but we had to rewire it and reprogram the thing). You can program other zones as "fire", but only for four wire smokes and contact devices. Two wire smokes must be terminated to zone one.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Joe:

Thanks for the information. I'm seriously considering just using

2-wire smokes, if only to simply things a bit.

Rob

Reply to
rahouston

It was worth a think-over. Usually fire zones require a diff. EOLR since the device is 12 v but noticed that the vistas all use one value resistor.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Frankly with that panel my first choice would be 2-wire smoke. Next, use a relay module, third I would go with the on-board relay.

Keep in mind that we use the onboard as a last resort because it is a new feature on these particular boards and some of the more experienced tech's prefer to wait on using new features.

In the instances we have used the feature, as far as I know there have not been any problems. Setting it up can be a bit confusing, tho...

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Zone 1 uses a false alarm feature on 2-wire smokes. On the first alarm, it doesn't dial out, it resets the detector and waits 90 secs. If it alarms again, a signal is sent.

Reply to
mikey

Only if you want it to I believe.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

If you do decide to use 4-wire smoke detectors, do not connect them to zone 1.

Reply to
RJD314

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.