ademco 5241 repair

Lurker here. I recently picked up an Ademco 1023 (yes I know its old and not feature rich) to alert me when my shed is tampered with. Only one door and one window. The system works fine, the only problem is the key pad does not want to work at all...If I use a key switch, no problems!!!. I am guessing that the hard wired code setting system of plug in wires is the culprit. But, upon opening the keypad up fully, I see a very old ribbon cable printed with conductors on a plastic base. Anyone know how to clean the ribbon cable and/or hard wire code connections. Or would it be better to just hard wire (read solder) all the connections?????? or does anyone have a 5241 for sale. Or is there a replacement newer keypad that would work??????

Thanks in advance...

bob in phx...

Reply to
Bob in Phx
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Roland More

It a straight 6 volt model. There is no -12 after the model number or on the face plate. The 5241 is a stand alone keypad that basically throws the key switch electronically. guess I will either try and solder all the connections, test the voltages and chips/transistors and then get a colby if necessary.....'

Reply to
Bob in Phx

The answer was to gently clean the ribbon cable with a pencil eraser. I did just that and tested it. It worked 20 out of 20 times... I then re-tinned the "code" wires, just to be safe.. Bottom line is that its up and working!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bob in Phx

You can buy a Vista 10P and cheap keypad for less than what a Colby keypad is gonna cost you.

| >> Thanks in advance... | >>

| >> bob in phx... | >>

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cool!...and it's holding up in this heat for all these years out in a shed? amazing

| > Thanks in advance... | >

| > bob in phx... | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

messagenews:HHTui.77721$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe06.phx...

I've got one of these panels in a restaurant, that I installed about

25 years ago. This panel has been sitting on the wall, about 2 feet from an oven for 20 years. ( they moved the oven near the panel about 20 years ago) The keypad is further away. The owner and I are just leaving it there to see how long the damn thing is going to last. I hate to open it up when I go there. It's got grease and who knows what else in the cabinet. I've used up all the numbers in the keypad. I've got a spare 215 in the in the basement, just in case.
Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.