How to bypass blocked ports

Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to bypass a Firewall that blocks a port.

What I want to do is use MS Flight simulator and utilities on a network restricted by firewall. Of course utilities like ftp, nslookup, etc can also be benefited.

Please let me know if this is not the right group for this question! Many thanks in advance.

Rogério

Reply to
Roger
Loading thread data ...

In Message-ID: posted on Tue, 04 Jan 2005 17:41:11 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote: Begin

Certainly not from a router salesman, who even wears a Cisco Linksys shirt to imply credibility.

What would you begin to know about "top guns"? oh, that's right, you've been to blockbuster video.

Buckwheat only knows how to recommend everyone get a router, but can't give anything more than unsubstantiated rumors for a reason, tsk,tsk, what a pity, truth is a terrible thing to waste.

Reply to
Bart Bailey

In Message-ID: posted on 4 Jan 2005 09:33:30 -0800, Roger wrote: Begin

Write an exception rule in your config, it's your firewall, right? If not, then you need to negotiate with its admin.

See answer above.

Firewall question, firewall newsgroup, why not?

Reply to
Bart Bailey

The weather update, which is probably what you are referring to, contacts Microsoft via HTTP on port 80. That would be unusual that anything at Microsoft would be blocked on your network. Any network admin worth their salt would not block ANYTHING from Microsoft, because if he did, he would be blocking all security updates from Windows as well.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Talk to whomever manages your firewall and convince them that you really need to bypass their firewall for your oh so highly critical quality assurance testing of a game. Yeah, right, like that's gonna happen.

Reply to
Vanguard

Wouldnt it be easier to just let your users download security updates directly from Microsoft? It would sure save you a lot of work if you did.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Well, I think that Microsoft seurity updates should be an exception to the rule. Any shop I ran would have that policy. Dowloading security updates would be allowed. You HAVE to allow it in this day and age of viruses, worms, and trojans.

Reply to
Charles Newman

If he were using anything other than Flight Simulator I would say run Remote Desktop and launch FS from his home computer, but FS cannot be launched remotely from a RD connection. That is because of the graphics needed. If FS (98 or later) detects that it is being launched from a Remote Desktop connection, it will put of a up a box saying that the program cannot be run through Remote Desktop, and then will close when the user clicks OK

Reply to
Charles Newman

In Message-ID: posted on Tue, 4 Jan

2005 15:04:58 -0800, Charles Newman wrote: Begin

How much work would be saved if they installed one of the so-called cumulative updates that come via email, and contain a rootkit?

Reply to
Bart Bailey

In Message-ID: posted on Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:58:01 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote: Begin

So glib with the promises, yet ever so inept keeping them.

Reply to
Bart Bailey

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Roger) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I don't think you're going to get any help on this one. Not from the Top Guns I don't think. They kind of don't appreciate this kind of a post.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Easy. Ask the Administrator of the firewall to unblock the port.

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

Any admin worth his salt *will* block access to certain Microsoft sites, for the same specific reason: To prevent the users from downloading and installing so-called security updates before they have been tested with the apps that the company uses. Tested security updates get *pushed* to the users.

Reply to
Arthur Hagen

That depends on where you are and who controls the firewall and who controls other things.

Are you at home and in charge of the firewall? If so which firewall? Are you at home but someone else is in charge of the firewall? Are you in a small business but the boss doesn't want you meddling with the firewall? Are you in a large organisation that wouldn't miss you if they find out that you've been trying to bypass company policy?

Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:46:22 -0800, Charles Newman spoketh

Yes, Charles, but you are an accountant, not a systems or network engineer.

Having a thousand computers individually download patches is NOT good use of either your network or Microsofts servers... Also, allowing users to have admin rights so they can install updates to their computers is also not a good idea...

Lars M. Hansen

formatting link
'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Reply to
Lars M. Hansen

I, and lots of admins I know, block Microsoft sites, especially the Windows Update site. Security updates can be downloaded and placed on the local server.

Reply to
CyberDroog

Roger schrieb:

Simply tell your boss that you do not want to work for him any longer. That is much easier and - depending on the skills of the firewalladmin - might also be quicker than tunneling the corporate firewall in order to get fired.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

But the website usually downloads the installation files somewhere in your browser cache. You would have to go into the browser cache, and pick the file out among the thousands of files in there. To make a mirror of the Microsoft site, you would be going through much more work that it would be worth, sortiing through your browser cache to find the installation files for Windows updates

Reply to
Charles Newman

It's not much work - the updates can be scheduled to load at the next reboot. If I want to force an update I can do that. You can also essentially create a mirror of the Windows Update site on your local server. It's identical in most respects except *you* decide what is available for download. And in doing that you will use your internet bandwidth only once. All other systems will use the local network for the update.

There are a couple of reasons I don't like to allow connections to Windows Updates.

1: Users may start loading all sorts of add-ons and other garbage they don't need, or load updates at inopportune times. 2: I don't trust anything released by Microsoft until I have tested it. Having seen vital systems crippled by a critical update, it's easy to live by this rule.

I don't farm out any admin tasks to the users, let alone Microsoft.

Reply to
CyberDroog

I guess you have missed the Prozac again Princess Bart the *clown* with the snatched *heart*. I am surprised you're not riding some woman's petticoat trying to scrape up a little *MAN HOOD*. That's usually your MO. ;-) I am sorry Princess Petticoat Bart the Prozac *Clown* that you must act an ass in an otherwise fine NG. Nothing I haven't seen before.

I think I have paid my dues here in this NG. I am for sure not a TOP Gun and never said I was. I am also not a Top Fool like you are apparently turning out to be with your insaneness.

You on the other hand are up to the same crap you are always all about -- nothing. As I see it, you hardly know what you're doing in the AV NG let alone here.

You're a *clown* and there is no doubt about it.

So yes, I'll you in this NG and hope you don't completely trun into an ass wipe Troll.

BYE

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.