PIX getting restarted every 8 hr

Hi all, I had bought a failover PIX unit (2 Pix's, one active and one standby) to our project 6 month back. Situation made me to use these two PIX's for 2 different projects. Both the pix's are in active configuration.

Now the problem is the standby pix which is there in the active role is getting restarted at every 8 hours and not functioning as expected. All the time I need to restart and have to give "Failover Active" command specifically for make the PIX up.

I do aware that the separate usage of standby Pix in the failover unit is not recommended by CISCO.

Please give me a resolution if any...

Thanks in advance...

Sumesh T

Reply to
Sou
Loading thread data ...

Remove the serial failover cable and the failover state link between both devices. On the standby device enter the activation key for (un)restricted license. Very easy.

Reply to
Lutz Donnerhacke

Yeah, you're going to have to get a new activation key. Usage of a failover box as a standalone is a bit more that simply "not recommended." It's not allowed, and what you're seeing is exactly what should be happening.

Reply to
Brian

Neither part of that last sentance are true.

a) Using a failover box standalone *is* allowed. You buy failover pairs because you are concerned about hardware failures. If you do experience a hardware failure, then the primary box gets yanked out and repaired and replaced. During the time that the primary is gone, you are operating the failover box "standone". This is part of normal and expected function of the secondary box.

There may be something "not allowed" about the OP's configuration, but you are going to have to specify the disallowed part more carefully than "standalone".

b) What the OP is seeing is not -exactly- what should be happening. The OP is seeing restarts every 8 hours. A secondary PIX being operated standalone is documented to restart ever 24 hours. See sentance 9 of

formatting link

OP: see sentance 10 of the above URL for the reason for the boot behaviour.

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.