Zone Alarm Suddenly Blocking All Traffic

I have the free Zone Alarm running on XP SP2.

Lately, it is blocking all traffic. A clean re-install has not fixed the problem.

This seems to happen only when I re-start the system from a hibernation.

When I re-start the system, all traffic is normal.

The funny thing is that in the past, a re-start from hibernation never caused this problem.

So it is not just Zone Alarm alone, but probably some other change in configuration that has caused Zone Alarm to do this. That is, Zone Alarm being active is a necessary condition for preventing the traffic, but not a sufficient condition for blocking traffic.

There is no apparent virus infection, as reported by Symantec.

Does anyone have any ideas?

A WinXP registry mess?

Reply to
mavigozler
Loading thread data ...

Sincere condolences.

Just try again. But try to omit installing Zone Alarm this time.

Yes. You just don't need it.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I would suspect that ZA is blocking all traffic when the machine goes into hibernation and is awaken again, that ZA starts blocking all traffic when the machine and the O/S are in that state. Some personal firewalls or personal packet filters have this protection feature, including ZA I would suspect.

You need to find out how to take ZA out of this hibernation setting of blocking traffic when hibernation occurs and the machine is awoken again.

That's why when you reboot the machine with its O/S and ZA running the traffic is not blocked, because ZA is not in this hibernation blocking state.

You need to find out a to set ZA so that it allows the traffic after the machine comes out of hibernation.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.