Zone Alarm and Firefox

I have a problem with Zone Alarm.

Whenever I now (this is very recent, since the first of the year) boot up my Windows XP Home SP1 computed Zone Alarm always asks for me to authorize a connection to the internet using the SAME IP address. Furthermore, when I look at the settings Zone Alarm is always set to "ask" instead of "allow" the ip address. The settings are always reset when I shut down the system. Also, my settings for Firefox are also reset to "ask" from "allow". Any ideas what is causing this and how it can be corrected?

I've tried everything including the "trusted zone" setting even though I am not on a LAN.

Reply to
Victor Laszlo
Loading thread data ...

A circle is round. Ice is cold. And you have a problem with Zone Alarm.

Do you like pleonasms? ;-)

Yours, VB.

P.S.: There is an easy solution: just kick Zone Alarm.

Reply to
Volker Birk

'ere we go again.

ZA is causing this.

It can be corrected by getting rid of ZA (if possible).

Yes. That's your problem. You're experimenting with a crappy "security" solution within an area you don't understand.

Reply to
Straight Talk

It would appear that your Usenet bot misread the subject line. Its form letter response engine is also missing a most crucial step:

Lucky #13. Try opening a support incident with your software vendor before soliciting biased advice from the the curmudgeons of Usenet.

FYI, not that Cisco haven't made their fair share of missteps over the years but they actually include the Zone Alarm engine in their IPsec client. Naturally, it's been stripped of its standard UI and access list and enforces policies set by the VPN endpoint thus eliminating the newbie factor from the equation. Of course, this is more restrictive for the end user but that's the intention.

As for the original poster, I would, unfortunately, have to suggest that you try the de rigeur of Windows trouble-shooting steps; uninstall and reinstall it unless advised otherwise by the vendor you're paying to support your product. Does it have an option to export/import your existing access policy? If so, be sure to export it first so you can reimport it after reinstalling.

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

How so? Why is re-evaluation provoking such a comment?

Your superstitious notions are of little importance. You may consider "Myriads of popular anti-whatever applications and staying ignorant" as item 13.

Yeah right. The makers of commercially driven Illusion Ware are bending over backwards...

You don't know me, if you group me in some arbitrary fashion, that is your own inability to see clearly and not my issue. But yes, mea culpa, the advice favors common sense over advertisement driven Phony-Baloney Ware.

Spreading marketing hype instead of sound technical advice? Which 'security' software manufacturer do you represent?

De rigueur steps are oftentimes inadequate when trying to remove questionable software. Even Norton/Symantech and others provide speciality removal tools, oh well.

You obviously know little about ZA. Would you care to meaningfully explain how your response, I guess you deem it a reasonable explanation, is any except a self-centered viewpoint expounding a self-centered approach.

Reply to
Kayman

Kayman spewed:

What is your technical issue? Or is it merely one of attitude? *yawn*

None of them. I've been a unix sysadmin for 15+ years. What's your excuse?

-Gary

Reply to
Gary

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.