Zone Alarm accessing registry every 10 seconds

When ZoneAlarm added that AV monitoring, that was the most ridiculous thing they've ever added to the firewall. It's amazing. What in the world will they think of next..

ZA only recognizes a few of the major AVs I'm afraid. And I don't think there's anything you can do about it. Nor about the registry access.

If you're hooked on ZA, you might just go back to an older version like

4.5 or 4.0. There's considerably less crap in the older versions, although there still is useless stuff in them too. At least in the Pro version. The free versions may be a little less bloated..
Reply to
Kerodo
Loading thread data ...

By the way, there ARE many other free firewalls out there. If you're dissatisfied with ZA you might check out some others. See the link below:

formatting link

Reply to
Kerodo

I have your setup too, and ZoneAlarm doesn't see AVG, but I don't think it matters, and I turned off the ZoneAlarm monitoring of AVG. If you have Windows XP and SP2, Windows will monitor AVG.

Ma

Reply to
Ma No

Hi,

I have just downloaded sysinternals Regmon and have found that a process called VSMON.EXE:176 is accessing my registry every 10 seconds. It appears to be looking for a current version of a virus program. It would appear that VSMON.EXE belongs to Zone Alarm. When I disable the Zone alarm antivirus monitoring VSMON.EXE reduces its registry access from 27 accesses to 4 accesses each 10 seconds.

I do have AVG antivirus software installed but it would appear that Zone alarms does not recognise this. Is there a way of getting Zone alarm to recognise AVG? or should I just turn the virus monitoring off?

Still Zone alarms is trying to access registry entry HKU\\.DEFAULT\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Internet Settings\\EnableAutodial which does not exist. Is there a way to stop Zone alarms trying to turn AutoDial on?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Bartleet

Interesting. Do you know that the the ":176" means? Could it be a port number? According to

formatting link
that's "Name: genrad-mux Purpose: GENRAD-MUX", but I have no idea what that means. Ports rhymes with sports, but that's about all I know about ports... :)

I turned it off. It seems like a useless, redundant operation. AVG monitors itself.

I don't have Regmon, so can't test it myself... Do you have your preferences set to check for ZA updates manually or automatically? Also you might temporarily disable all program permissions; maybe one of them is the culprit.

Reply to
Jester6

Thanks. That link lists 53 free firewalls, which is interesting, but nobody can evaluate that many! For example I tried Kerio but found it too technical. I seem to recall trying Sygate too, but can't remember for sure. Then I settled on ZA because it's easy to use and automatic. I don't have the knowledge, time, or interest to setup complicated protocol & port permissions.

Reply to
Jester6

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.