Zone Alarm Free blocks everything

I've had ZA free for several months. Was prompted to upgrade to newer free version a few days ago. All was working fine. Had to re-train for various programs but that was fine. All of a sudden after a warm boot... (And a prompt to buy the Pro version) Zone Alarm free is blocking everything. All outgoing requests to my network or Internet. The popup said: "The firewall has blocked routed traffic from 192.168.1.101 to whatever" Of course that IP is my network IP address. (DHCP) When I added the range 192.168.1.101 - 192.68.1.106 to a trusted zone... everything became happy. Why did things work before and then they didn't and now they do AFTER I added the IP range to the trusted zone? Is this one of the bugs I've seen mentioned with the new version?

Reply to
DanR
Loading thread data ...

Just drop Zonealarm and use the Windows-Firewall. Then you'll not have such problems.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Then you get a trojan/virus/worm that sends out masses of data from your machine (eating up bandwith) as Windows Firewall does not block ANY outgoing traffic.

Reply to
ABC

VB ... you seem to have a knack for changing the meaning of and by-passing any question posed and causing the thread to take off in tangents. Your views are not widespread.

Reply to
DanR

Also Zonealarm cannot do that - please read my postings here of the last few days.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

[Going a bit OT from the original post]

What about less-sophisticated malware that does not attempt to bypass firewalls? You should not expect users to be careful to acquire only the most recently produced malware.

Also, ZA (at least the "Pro" version, possibly all versions) renames the extension of various e-mail attachments so that *accidentally* opening one is not possible. Remember, some people use their computers when they are drunk.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Morton

Please offer arguements, why I should be wrong.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

I'm not talking about recently produced malware or older malware or something. I'm talking about security, how can one be safe from malware running on one's host and sending information "home".

You could argue then, it is better to have such a filter the "Personal Firewalls" offer than no filter at all, because then at least malware, which is programmed by extremely dumb people, can be stopped.

But this is not the point. It cannot be the point, because this is not security against malware "phoning home" at all, but only "security" against extremely dumb malware.

In practice this means, that the user is bombarded with popups and questions, all false positives, and he has a false impression of being secure, because her/his "Personal Firewall" is "blocking" so much "attacks" and "phone home" trials, this "Personal Firewall" stuff must be great! Just like we see all day.

And for feeling so secure, She/he starts to lack carefulness. She/he does not need so careful any more, because of the great protection of this super "Personal Firewall" software.

In reality then, the one and only information, which was send out hidden, the user does not recognize, because her/his "Personal Firewall" does not, and this is the information from the real malicious software.

The point must be: "how can I prohibit malware from running on my PC", not "how can I deal with malware, which is running on my PC".

The latter is not securely possible with classical operating systems, and not at all with Windows.

BTW: a good question also is "how can I handle the situation, if I'm detecting malware on my PC".

This is, why NOT working as administrator is a very good idea, and having a disk image up one's sleeve is a great idea.

Remember: no-one wants backup - everybody wants restore ;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Once you reply to a post you hijack the post. There is not one reply that has anything to do with the original post. You say the same thing over and over and over. I for one like to have some idea of what software on my computer accesses the Internet. Can you offer examples of typical computer software that common folks have on their computer that is written to bypass or fool the software firewall when that software attempts to access the Internet. I like to have the option to block programs like Adobe Acrobat that constantly want to check for updates.

Reply to
DanR

If somebody asks you, shell I use the S&W 38 to shoot into my knee, or shell I use the 44 Magnum, which one is better? Then the right answer is not, that the 44 Magnum has more penetrating power, while the 38 is more common and widespread.

The right answer is: "think about it - you don't need to shoot into your knee".

Did you already realize, that the online update check of Acrobat simply can be switched off?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Volker, I have a great place for you and your tripe. Message/block sender... BYE

Reply to
Woody

many people can respond to you. especially if they do not agree with one person's response. Dont' blame somebody for responding.

If you rely on a firewall blocking outgoing connections to ultimately save you from spyware, then it'd be wrong.

Whether you do or do not use a firewall to block outgoing . I am not taking any side on that debate.

I suggest some software to monitor (though not block) connections at any given time.

netstat

Reply to
jameshanley39

It's a pity. I'm still waiting for your first argument, why I'm wrong in your opinion.

Perhaps you don't have any arguments at all. Of course, then a discussion will be very difficult for you.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Please explain, what argument you're referencing.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.