Win XP SP2 & Firewalls

Hello

Since I have installed my new WinXP system I have some problems in setting up a firewall. I have inactivated the Windows-own firewall, restarted the system and installed Kerio Personal Firewall 4. After restart, the computer restarts itself shortly after showing the progress bar of WinXP-start and asks if I want to start in safe mode. I thought there is a problem with the Kerio firewall and so deinstalled it (safe mode). Then I installed Tiny Personal Firewall 2. Same problem, I had to uninstall it (safe mode). After the uninstallation, the computer runs without any problems.

Does anyone know about that problem?

Thanks for your answers

Michael

Reply to
Michael J. Edelmann
Loading thread data ...

Assuming you are able to boot to safe mode without this problem ocurring, it's likely you have some application running as a service that conflicts with the firewall kernel of the 3rd party firewalls. You may want to go into msconfig and consider disabling any start-up items that don't appear to be necessary to the OS. Then, try reinstalling Kerio and see if the problem is still there. What programs are scheduled to run at start-up?

Reply to
optikl

In message , Michael J. Edelmann writes

No, I haven't had that problem.

FWIW:

I was using version KPF 2, which I have long trusted.

But I found on a laptop that it seems to obstruct hibernate, which is a killer for my laptop use.

So now I have to consider trying KPF4 or something else :-(

Reply to
Dave English

With Kerio Personal Firewall 4.0.16 it works, with 4.1.2 it doesn't work. That's all.

Reply to
Michael J. Edelmann

In message , Michael J. Edelmann writes

Thanks. I am now trying 4.1.2 and so far hibernate is working for me.

Time will tell

Reply to
Dave English

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.