Windows XP SP2

Does the satellite setup use any loopbacks ? SP2 breaks these and Microsoft has issued a Hotfix for SP2 to address this. SP2 broke my Netscreen SSL boxes but this hotfix addressed this.

formatting link
alan

Reply to
Alan Strassberg
Loading thread data ...

I don't believe it is a firewall problem, but then again, it may be. I have been having problems with the speed of my satellite internet connection for some time now. I have called Direcway and received no help whatsoever. The help desk is in India and all they can do is read a script.

I remembered that the problems started about the time that I installed SP2. I don't really have any clues that point to SP2, but I can't find anything else that could account for my problem. I have disabled the XP firewall and use Kerio Personal Firewall 4. I have tried ZA Pro also and still have the problem.

Does anyone else have a problem with their internet connection since SP2 or do I have to keep searching for a culprit?

Don Dunlap

Reply to
Don Dunlap

I have downloaded the latest Adaware and Spybot and ran them. I make it a point to run them at least once a week. I have Norton Anti-virus and I have run a couple more spyware and malware programs. I think that I am pretty clean. I have run just about everything possible because, like you, I thought that there might be something lurking in the background. I don't believe so now.

Don Dunlap

Reply to
Don Dunlap

Yes, it dows have a loopback! I wasn't aware about SP2 breaking this. I will check on that and see if it is my problem. Thanks very much - that might be it.

Don Dunlap

Reply to
Don Dunlap

Nope, it doesn't use loopback after all. I remembered looking in the firewall trusted sites list and saw a loopback entry, but didn't notice that it had a n/a associated with it. That is with Kerio. With ZA, it never even showed a loopback entry. I thought for a while that you had found my problem!

Thanks, Don Dunlap

Reply to
Don Dunlap

"Don Dunlap" wrote in news:68ca2$41b4b62a$45234371$ snipped-for-privacy@allthenewsgroups.com:

You sure you don't have some kind of malware running on the machine that's slowing the connection down, since you have used a couple different FW(s) with the same result?

You should look around with the tools in the link.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Don Dunlap" wrote in news:e6728$41b4d151$45234371$ snipped-for-privacy@allthenewsgroups.com:

I do use Adaware from time to time and I also use an AV, but I in no means depend upon such software to tell me that things are ok on my machines. I do look around for myself from time to time with the tools in the link I provided.

Obviously, there is some thing happening on the machine. But how would you know if you didn't use something like Process Explorer or other such software to look at running processes and see what's using a process. It may not even be related to a malware issue that's something is running on the machine that's slowing it down. But how would you know?

And besides, malware detection software is always a dollar late and a dime short in the detection.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.