XP Chkdsk Problem

I had a hard disk problem on my automation / server computer and asked WINXP to check one of the four NTFS disks installed on the system - which required a reboot after which it successfully fixed the disk's lost clusters. The computer now does a Chkdsk on the four installed drives everytime it boots. How can I stop this ??

Thanks in advance

Reply to
hi-ho
Loading thread data ...

You probably have some problem that XP's trying to alert you to. I suspect it's running scandisk (*not* chkdsk, BTW) because it's finding problems, not because some setting has changed as a result of your initial run of scandisk. If something's creating lost clusters on your machine, you've got to find it and figure out why. Are these newly installed disks? Are the jumper settings correct?

Try turning off write caching for the affected drives.

Are you shutting down via the Start menu or via the keyboard power key or the front panel power button? Try shutting down via the Start menu - that allows more time to flush the cache although it takes longer to power down the machine.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Greetings,

XP will run CHKDSK to fix up an NTFS file system when you boot the system.

Normally I start it by opening a CMD window and typing CHKDSK/F.

The system will tell me that it cannot lock the drive for single use right now and would I like to schedule the CHKDSK at the next reboot. I always say yes.

There is another way if you go to Accessories and System tools. Somewhere buried in the bowls of the menus is a disk check which will do the same thing.

If you have not let the CHKDSK finish, I suggest you do so.

Larry Hazel

Reply to
Homer L. Hazel

Thanks - I will check that out. When an XP Machine sets up tasks to run after rebooting (at command lien level) where does it put the instruction. I looked at the batch files - but I cannot see any dsk checking command there,

thanks again,

Reply to
hi-ho

it's in the registry -- HKLM\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\SessionManager, look at the "BootExecute" key.

default: autocheck autochk * that just tells the OS to check for the dirty bit. It will change this key if you manually schedule a chkdsk using chkdsk /f or /r. I agree with the poster who said let it run. It won't continue running after it has completed... it'll reset this key to the default.

Reply to
anon

many thanks

Reply to
hi-ho

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.