how to setup linksys dsl router with Sonicewall SOHO 2 firewall?

Hello,

I just purchased a Sonicwall soho2 firewall two week ago on ebay. I don't know how to set it up to work with my current dsl service. I am using verizon DSL PPPoE with non-static IP. Here is my current hardware setup.

Dsl modem ? sonicwall SOHO2 (IP change from 192.168.168.168 to

192.168.1.15)? 4 ports linksys router (192.168.1.1) with PPoE enable? 3 pc (192.168.1.150 ? 153)

I am able to login to ping both the firewall, router and all the PCs. However, I am not able to connect to the internet when I connected the firewall. Can someone please tell me how to setup the firewall the right way. What am I do wrong? I am new to firewall.

Thank you all in advent.

Reply to
ALAN
Loading thread data ...

When I had Verizon ADSL service in the Los Angeles area, there was no PPoE... Did you try to set the Linksys router to obtain an IP address automatically?

Reply to
Anonymous

I don't have a SOHO2, but you are going to have to setup the SOHO2 to connect to your ISP via PPOE as you did your Linksys. Once you get the SOHO2 working you don't need the Linksys unit at all. If you want to use the Linksys you need to set it up for the WAN link to get a DHCP address from the SOHO2 unit.

SO it would be like this

DSL SOHO2 WAN SOHO2 LAN LKS WAN DHCP LKS LAN > PC

So, the SOHO2 makes the PPOE connection to the ISP, the Linksys (which is not needed) makes a DHCP connection to the SOHO2, and the PC's make DHCP connections to the Linksys.

Make sure that the private addresses used by the SOHO2 and Linksys are not the same subnet.

Reply to
Leythos

Exactly. Take the linksys out of the loop! You don't need it. Get a cheap switch or hub and plug that into the soho2.

Reply to
T. Sean Weintz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.