SP2 firewall in xp pro

I am using SP2 in windowsxp pro with the firewall enabled.is it a decent firewall?.or do i need a better one?..thanks

Reply to
RH710
Loading thread data ...

It depends. Ask yourself the following questions:

1. Are you the sole user of that computer?
  2. Can you rigorously enforce safe computing practices on that computer?
  3. Do you run P2P file sharing services?
  4. Do you use IE as your primary web browser and/or OE for mail and news?

If you can answer yes to questions 1 & 2, and no to the last 2, then the XP SP2 firewall is probably all you need.

The computer I'm using now is solely used by me, so I don't worry about bi-directional firewalling. Computers I have that are used by other family members all have good personal firewalls installed, along with reliable AV software, running on access.

Reply to
optikl

I don't like recommending "products", per se. My preferences are not yours; neither are my opinions. I'll tell you what I use:

I use Trendmicro Internet Security on the laptop which is in my sole control. It has all the security I want, or need, and has the flexibility to set up different Intrusion Control options, depending on where I'm connecting from. It doesn't have application based firewalling. So, from that standpoint, it is much different from the XP firewall. The system I use it on, however, isn't running XP. It runs

2000 Pro.

For systems that are used by others, I use both Outpost Pro 2.1 and Kerio 2.1.5 (not both on the same systems, at the same time). Kerio is very easy on resources and if you don't mind learning how to properly setup rules, it's very easy to customize. If you want something that's more set and forget, then Outpost would be my choice. It also has a free version.

Reply to
optikl

yes, optiki what fw do you suggest fro xp?

Something light to hdd space and memeory :)

Reply to
beatnik

An external box. Can't go lighter on hdd space and memory :-)

Much safer, too, as it can't be disabled by any trojan you run on your machine.

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

Then use a software firewall backed up by common wetware: Brain 1.0 :-)

Sounds BAD - something on your machine stops your firewall, either it's a bug or something much worse.

You should boot from a safe boot disc (PEBuilder rocks...) and check your machine for viruses and trojans ASAP.

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

How is "an external box" going to help with application-based outbound control? It won't; it can't, not the way something running locally can.

Reply to
Scott

i use kerio v21.5. myself but it closes 5-10 secs evry tiem i want to sue it? Any ideas why?

Reply to
beatnik

Harware firewalling rocks but that just costs money! I ll think i lls tick to soft ones but something makes my kerio v2.1.5 to close 5-10 secs after it started! :(

Reply to
beatnik

Nor can something running locally control outbound traffic. The "personal firewall" runs with the same rights as the application, the application can disable or circumvent the "personal firewall" at will.

Juergen Nieveler

Reply to
Juergen Nieveler

There are a LOT more risks inbound than outbound.

One thing to consider is the user running the firewall. I use Tiny on my laptops and would be hard pressed to install it (or kerio) on a normal users system. There are a ton of requests that have to be approved/disapproved or permitted always when you set it up. I can see a normal user installing it, allowing some inbound service, and getting hacked easily.

A border device, one that the user doesn't have to do anything with or control on their OS, is a great solution to complement a personal firewall.

Reply to
Leythos

No. Have you tried the Kerio Forum for help?

formatting link

Reply to
optikl

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.