Microsoft XP Sp2 and Verizon DSL Conflict

My computer was recently overtaken with spyware and the only way we could get rid of the problem was to do a fresh install of our PC. After I install SP2 of XP my internet stops working properly. It says it is connected, I have an IP address, etc. But when you go on IE or firefox you can see maybe the homepage if you are lucky and after that it is all this page cannot be displayed. I have tried several different things, disabling firewall, allowing programs with the firewall, starting over and reinstalling everything again, etc. All we want is to have SP2, a firewall so we don't get all the spyware crap, and internet. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Amanda
Loading thread data ...

False assumption.

There is NO problem with WinXP SP2 and DSL an any way shape or form.

You removed malware that had hooks into the WINSOCK. You now need to repair WINSOCK.

Download and use LSP-Fix for the repair.

formatting link
Dave

Reply to
David H. Lipman

I have already tried fixing the winsocks and it still didn't work. I'd be able to go to maybe two webpages before it stops displaying pages. We had SP2 on before we re-did everything so we're perplexed. I'm going to try a few more things and see if I can get it to work.

Reply to
Amanda
1) Download the following three items...

Trend Sysclean Package

formatting link
Latest Trend signature files.
formatting link
Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
formatting link
Create a directory. On drive "C:\" (e.g., "c:\New Folder") or the desktop (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")

Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory. Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file. For example; lpt271.zip

Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same directory as SYSCLEAN.COM.

2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions. 3) Disable System Restore
formatting link
Reboot your PC into Safe Mode 5) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found. (a few cycles may be needed) 6) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware 7) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB), 8) Reboot your PC. 9) Create a new Restore point

• * * Please report back your results * * *

Dave

| > There is NO problem with WinXP SP2 and DSL an any way shape or form. | >

| > You removed malware that had hooks into the WINSOCK. You now need to repair WINSOCK. | >

| > Download and use LSP-Fix for the repair. | >

formatting link
| >

| > Dave | >

| >

| >

| >

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.