Cannot update

I have Zonealarm 6.0.667 and want to update. When i click on the update button nothing happens. Windows XP firewall is disabled. Already checked for viruses and spy ware. Is this a windows or zone alarm problem?

Reply to
Mike
Loading thread data ...

To what? A serious security concept or just the next version of ZA?

Neither. Oh, you think that ZA's purpose isn't to make trouble?

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Hi Mike

Beware that in this forum You may risk to bump into people very hostile to everything that smells like Personal Firewalls :-)

Except for a very few scenarios I myself don't recommend running such a thing either.

From Your posting I have no chance to determine whether You are a poweruser with a strong knowledge of computing and just having problems updating your piece of software, or if You are a less experienced computer user tricked into believing that ZoneAlarm is a must have.

If the latter is the case stay in here for a while and allow yourself to learn that there may be better ways than having ZA trouble You.

Also take Your time to read previous threads. ZA and PFW's in general are constantly discussed.

If You insist on just getting your update problem fixed however, that's fine, then I will leave the scene for others to take over.

/B. Nice

Reply to
B. Nice

Mike,

At first I was going to say that the new version 6.5 probably needs to be out a few more days before it's "found" by your ZA "Check for Updates" icon. But at least for ZoneAlarm Pro (the paid version), there have been three intermediate versions between yours and the newest one (starting last November) so your check should have found an update. I don't have a clue as to why it's been missed by your ZA.

On the other hand, the Check for Updates button just tells you if a new version has come out--you still would download and install it normally. So for the version history and ability to download the most recent version, check here for ZoneAlarm Pro and download and install what you need:

I've found that when updating, as tempting as it may be to choose "Update", it's better when given the choice to choose "Clean Installation" when installing a new ZA. This is especially true, I think, for you since you're jumping four updates. Even with a clean installation, you don't need to uninstall your current version before installing a newer one.

I haven't kept tabs on the free version of ZA since I moved to the Pro version. If you're using the free version, get it here:

Good luck.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.